Dundee United 2019/2020

6 hours ago, RogerBoli said:

that Ludo character started a thread devoted to Shankland.

odd.

About 2 weeks ago and because I'm interested in stats. He seems to have a reasonable chance of breaking the Scottish second tier's scoring record this season. Not really much to do with United/Dundee rivalry tbh.

1 hour ago, stumigoo said:

I’ve not had a look myself but the consensus on Twitter seems to be Stephen Thompson in 2002. I think Goodwillie was very close in 2011 when he scored against Spain but he had just joined Blackburn a few weeks previous.

I wasn't sure if Thompson was still with us when he scored, but it seems he was.

I don't know if the HK XI game counts as a full cap, but he scored in that one in May 2002, then against Canada in October, then went to Rangers in December.

11 minutes ago, stewartyftd1 said:

New contract for Neilson it seems. I think he has done decent. Needs to have a go at teams a bit more instead of the conservative/defensive mindset we have at times but I think he is the best we can get at the moment.

Where are you seeing this?  A new contract at this stage is crazy; it should be contingent on winning promotion.

27 minutes ago, Twinkle said:

Been all over social media and the papers. Also, i completely agree, there should be a clause in his contract where its terminated if we fail to get promoted

Yeah I’d be happy for a new contract with safeguards.

2 hours ago, stewartyftd1 said:

New contract for Neilson it seems. I think he has done decent. Needs to have a go at teams a bit more instead of the conservative/defensive mindset we have at times but I think he is the best we can get at the moment.

We've scored 22 goals in 8 games...

We've scored 22 goals in 8 games...
I dont think thats the point. The reason we have scored that amount is due to attacking teams and starting on the front foot (see Caley, Dundee and Morton). In the games we have lost vs Alloa and Ayr, we invited them on and played a defensive system. Its really not that difficult to understand to be honest

That’s it on the bbc that he has agreed a deal until 2022 along with McCulloch and Forrest.
It seems an odd time to offer such a long extension, but I think the hierarchy might have been worried he would be pinched part way through the season if we continued to do well, causing disruption to the squad.
I’m a fan of Neilson and think the good has outweighed the bad in terms of his tenure so far.
I do however echo people’s concerns about his cautious approach against some teams, and also think he has to deliver this season, he has no excuses.
I’m hoping some more security encourages him to be less inhibited in games and give him the incentive to go all out attack from the get go- we have the personnel to do this.

20 hours ago, stewartyftd1 said:

I think "decent" is a reasonable assessment.  Neilson has certainly been a step-up from the other managers that we have had in our 3 years in the second tier (and our last couple of years in the top league...), but his record in the transfer market is not perfect and we still lose games that we should really be winning; whilst I have never been one to shout for his sacking, I also do not think he has done enough to warrant a new deal. 

20 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Where are you seeing this?  A new contract at this stage is crazy; it should be contingent on winning promotion.

Neilson's current deal already expires at the end of the season, so there seems little incentive for him to sign a new contract with a break clause that could be triggered then.  But it would be a useful provision - if we do not get up this season I suspect there will be a sizeable majority of the support that will demand he is removed.

11 hours ago, dregs 83 said:

That’s it on the bbc that he has agreed a deal until 2022 along with McCulloch and Forrest.
It seems an odd time to offer such a long extension, but I think the hierarchy might have been worried he would be pinched part way through the season if we continued to do well, causing disruption to the squad.

An extension to 2022 would mean that Neilson's tenure would have run from October 2018 to May 2022 (over 3.5 years) - at which point he would be the longest serving manager since Jim McLean.  I think that is rather unlikely, and the safer option would be a shorter extension or to delay extending until we get out of this league...