Dundee United 2019/2020

We wont attack. As much as I want to see us go for teams, I really can't see Neilson go balls out and dominate teams. Doesn't seem to be in his nature.
Since he's come in we've had some of the worst results and performances I've ever seen. In 30 odd years I can't remember it being this boring, predictable and lackluster.
On paper (yup, that old chestnut!) We should be looking to end up top of the pile.
To a mostly settled squad from last season, we've added the most prolific striker from last season, two new full backs, one of which had a very good season for a strong Ayr team and one or two others we've been told are good additions. Then the likes of Apperre and Banks should be eased in and add a bit of freshness and dynamism hopefully. 
The problem will be if the manager is still setting up defensively, trying not to lose rather than going for the win. Of course the team will have to keep it tight and not give anything away but there's having a good defensive unit and there's being overly defensive. 
In my unqualified opinion, I don't think we need two sitting midfielders in this league against anyone. Not at home anyway. That's been my biggest problem with this 4231 formation that he's mostly used. I don't see why he wont chuck one of them into midfield higher up and press opposition teams harder. Win the ball up the pitch and counter them higher up instead of inviting teams into us.

When all fit, I'd love to see something like 

Seig
Smith Connoly Reynolds Sporle
         King  Butcher Harkes
Mcmullan   Shankland   Pawlett

Good old fashioned 433 becoming 451 when tracking back. Pace on the wings, good finisher in the middle and the 3 centre midfielders can win the ball and move it on. Play direct and quick passing.
I know it wont be to everyone's taste but I honestly think that line up, maybe with a tweak or two, would do very well in this league. Make the opposition worry about us rather than us worrying about how they play.

this is the key, having an 11 on the park that can shift it’s formation when needed and still look capable.

and a gaffer with that vision. Houston had a bit of this in him.

Granted, he had a bit of naivety & some very good players to get it done

1 hour ago, mishtergrolsch said:

We wont attack. As much as I want to see us go for teams, I really can't see Neilson go balls out and dominate teams. Doesn't seem to be in his nature.

Since he's come in we've had some of the worst results and performances I've ever seen. In 30 odd years I can't remember it being this boring, predictable and lackluster.

On paper (yup, that old chestnut!) We should be looking to end up top of the pile.

To a mostly settled squad from last season, we've added the most prolific striker from last season, two new full backs, one of which had a very good season for a strong Ayr team and one or two others we've been told are good additions. Then the likes of Apperre and Banks should be eased in and add a bit of freshness and dynamism hopefully. 

The problem will be if the manager is still setting up defensively, trying not to lose rather than going for the win. Of course the team will have to keep it tight and not give anything away but there's having a good defensive unit and there's being overly defensive. 

In my unqualified opinion, I don't think we need two sitting midfielders in this league against anyone. Not at home anyway. That's been my biggest problem with this 4231 formation that he's mostly used. I don't see why he wont chuck one of them into midfield higher up and press opposition teams harder. Win the ball up the pitch and counter them higher up instead of inviting teams into us.

When all fit, I'd love to see something like 

Seig

Smith Connoly Reynolds Sporle

King  Butcher Harkes

Mcmullan   Shankland   Pawlett

Good old fashioned 433 becoming 451 when tracking back. Pace on the wings, good finisher in the middle and the 3 centre midfielders can win the ball and move it on. Play direct and quick passing.

I know it wont be to everyone's taste but I honestly think that line up, maybe with a tweak or two, would do very well in this league. Make the opposition worry about us rather than us worrying about how they play.

I like the look of that and Chalmers, Appere and Banks can cover McMullan or Pawlett with Clark and Sow being able back ups to Shankland and if opposition means using a different style of striker. 

I've come round to the idea that the formation isn't all that important provided guys are played in the right position, we have some kind of coherent plan and play with a bit of aggression. 4231, 442 and 433 all look playable with the squad we have.

Not a clue what we'll actually see next week but if Neilson starts Clark in midfield and Robson at left wing he best win that game or he'll be right in the shite. 

Agree with most of that apart from McMullan. It’s pointless having a predatory striker like Shankland when you have winger that is totally incapable of getting a crowd to him, ever. This is the peak of McMullan’s level and no more.
That's why I said he's ok, just ok. Has his moments but don't think he has it to go to the next level. Frustrating as.

Rumour from a Hearts fan I know is Harry Cochrane on loan until January.  Think he’s a decent player but no sure I would rather have just kept Declan Glass rather than bring on a young player for another club.  

Hopefully we’re still looking to add players.  Obviously still need to get rid of a few too, Bouhenna not yet confirmed as away I don’t think but seems inevitable, also hopefully get Loemba, Aird and M Smith off the wage bill.  If those 4 all go then surely we’d bring a couple more in.

Apart from the Cochrane rumour I heard this morning, only other player I’ve heard linked recently is Sam Nicholson.  Anyone heard of anyone else linked?  We definitely need to add to the current squad and improve the starting 11.

51 minutes ago, Loemba90 said:

Rumour from a Hearts fan I know is Harry Cochrane on loan until January.  Think he’s a decent player but no sure I would rather have just kept Declan Glass rather than bring on a young player for another club.  

Hopefully we’re still looking to add players.  Obviously still need to get rid of a few too, Bouhenna not yet confirmed as away I don’t think but seems inevitable, also hopefully get Loemba, Aird and M Smith off the wage bill.  If those 4 all go then surely we’d bring a couple more in.

Apart from the Cochrane rumour I heard this morning, only other player I’ve heard linked recently is Sam Nicholson.  Anyone heard of anyone else linked?  We definitely need to add to the current squad and improve the starting 11.

Bouhenna confirmed it himself on his instagram.

1 hour ago, Jock Tamson said:
16 hours ago, NEFarab said:
Agree with most of that apart from McMullan. It’s pointless having a predatory striker like Shankland when you have winger that is totally incapable of getting a crowd to him, ever. This is the peak of McMullan’s level and no more.

That's why I said he's ok, just ok. Has his moments but don't think he has it to go to the next level. Frustrating as.

McMullan is a mid to top end Championship player. If and when we get promoted hed be totally useless in the Premiership.

11 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

McMullan is a mid to top end Championship player. If and when we get promoted hed be totally useless in the Premiership.

He's not even that.

Hit a wee purple patch for a month or two last year but struggles with his basic task which is putting a ball in. 

16 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

He's not even that.

Hit a wee purple patch for a month or two last year but struggles with his basic task which is putting a ball in. 

Yeah I actually agree. Was just trying to be a bit more positive than I usually am about him🤣

It’s painful to watch him knowing he has a decent chance of getting passed his man then battering to no one. 

This season he’s obviously realised he never beat the first man with his crosses last year so he’s now started blasting it has hard as possible at the goalie.