Dundee United 2019/2020

1 hour ago, ArabFC said:

He should've been sacked after the defeat to St Johnstone near Christmas 2013 https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/25482658

It was blindingly obvious he didn't have a clue what he was doing.

That's slightly harsh.

He knew exactly what he was doing when he was selling all our best players and taking a cut.

1 hour ago, ArabFC said:

He should've been sacked after the defeat to St Johnstone near Christmas 2013 https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/25482658

Tbf to him Souttar had an absolute disaster in that game that im not sure any manager could've accounted for.

7 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Who knows how he would have been when managed by a competent management team. I wish no Ill will towards Zwick, he was rubbish but he was signed and played and that's not his fault (it's his dads for sending a video to McNamara!).

But, as Granny says, McNamara should have been punted the end of the 2014/15 season as we were fucking pish and that's where the downward cycle started.

Going with two young keepers with hardly a top team professional game between had the alarm bells ringing at full volume across Tayside. To have those keepers being defended by Donaldson and Durnan had the rest of Scotland rightly pishing themselves.

2 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

McNamara should have been sacked following the 2014 Cup Final, and never given the chance to manage the club in 2014-15.

But the downside is Stephen Thompson would have been picking the next manager, who might have been as bad.

1 hour ago, ArabFC said:

This is getting like the five Yorkshiremen sketch.

‘E should have been sacked before ‘e were appointed Jerobdiah.

41 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Yorkshiremen are surprisingly wise.

On 08/05/2020 at 20:12, ArabFC said:

I guess from this that Kieran Freeman will be getting offered a new deal.

Would still expect at least Adam King and Cammy Smith to be allowed to leave.

King and Smith would be mad to leave - there is no way that any other club is going to match their wages (and, in the case of King, term - he still has another 2 years to go!).

I feel sorry for Watson (who has performed very well, when called upon), Wardrop (who has had an absolutely wretched time of it) and Bingham (who hardly had a chance to show off his skills) but in this climate I am glad we are not offering any terms at all.  

Sow needs to go to University, or something, because there is no way he has the body to be a professional footballer.  A lot of us said it was a big gamble to sign someone with such a poor history of injuries - and we were proved right.  At least a big wage will now be off the books.

On 08/05/2020 at 20:20, Twinkle said:

Far from impressed at Watson being allowed to move on. Better than both Reynolds and Connolly

Hard to argue with - let's just hope that next season neither of them are starting too many games, having been replaced by far superior options...

16 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

But the downside is Stephen Thompson would have been picking the next manager, who might have been as bad.

Might?  Stephen Thompson undoubtedly had many skills - but picking managers was not one of them - so almost no chance we would have traded up!

18 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

I got my dates wrong....Shows what several years of horrendous football and obscurity all melting into one horrendous time has done to me!

Actually meant the season of the Celtic final. However I was baying for blood the same as Arab FC at the Fermers game that Christmas time.

Probably before that knowing me. 

21 hours ago, ArabFC said:

What?

He should've been sacked two defeats after a run of games where we scored 4 goals every game for 5/6 games?

Jackie wasn't a good manager, but no chance should he have been sacked then. That's mental to say.

In my opinion, he should've been sacked after the 14/15 season. I get why folk would want him gone after the 2014 cup final but there was still very good moments with him in charge after that. 

Ah the lockdown.  Arguing about when a long gone manager should have been sacked.

I hope there’s not a second spike; we’ll be debating which mascot deserves a rap in the pus.  (I’ll go for the wee one on the basis that he’ll be easier to take).

6 hours ago, Accent-Unknown said:

What?

He should've been sacked two defeats after a run of games where we scored 4 goals every game for 5/6 games?

Jackie wasn't a good manager, but no chance should he have been sacked then. That's mental to say.

In my opinion, he should've been sacked after the 14/15 season. I get why folk would want him gone after the 2014 cup final but there was still very good moments with him in charge after that. 

I'm happy to be considered mental over wanting McNamara sacked after the fermers debacle.

It's meaningless now, but I remember thinking from very early on that we playing amazing fitba despite McNamara's involvement, not because of it.

All this boils down to is bad management. Players should have been getting rested (Souttar and Gauld especially) whilst we were winning, one, maybe two at a time. Instead we suffered our worst result of the season, queue wholesale changes, resulting in an even worse defeat, which then was followed by a huge game against Aberdeen where the confidence was gone!

Now our players have no confidence, need rested when we need them most, so we're screwed.

Edited by ArabFC

What grounds will Arabs visit next season?

I haven’t gone to Celtic Park or Ibrox for years due to the toxic atmosphere, with the exception of the cup game against Sevco when Ciftci started celebrating before he scored.

Doubtful I’ll go to Dingwall as it’s too far and I don’t like driving up the A9.

That still leaves 8 other venues.  Can’t say I have any favourites as, ironically, Tynecastle would be the ground I like best for an away day.  For Park is OK and Pittodrie is a dump that’s freezing regardless of what time of year it is.

What grounds will Arabs visit next season?
I haven’t gone to Celtic Park or Ibrox for years due to the toxic atmosphere, with the exception of the cup game against Sevco when Ciftci started celebrating before he scored.
Doubtful I’ll go to Dingwall as it’s too far and I don’t like driving up the A9.
That still leaves 8 other venues.  Can’t say I have any favourites as, ironically, Tynecastle would be the ground I like best for an away day.  For Park is OK and Pittodrie is a dump that’s freezing regardless of what time of year it is.

Very few away grounds i enjoy. Pittodrie, Easter Road and Victoria Park are great. The rest can f**k off

Ps - Looking forward to Ibrox, the atmosphere will be more poisonous than normal

Pps - If Sevco last that long

The only way to go to away games is on the train 

Aberdeen - shite ground but not too far from ground for city centre pubs

Celtic - everything about it awful

Hibs - Great stadium. Great drinking options 

Motherwell - I have an inexplicable affection for Jack Daniels 

Hamilton- shite

Killie - never been

Livingston - shite 

Ross County - I like the day out but having to get a bus back to Inverness is a total ballache 

Rangers - Everything about it thoroughly unpleasant 

St Johnstone - Always a good day and some good pubs in Perth but again a pain to get to ground from town 

St Mirren - I drink in Glasgow and get train to ground. Don't know Paisley much

13 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Hamilton- shite

Killie - never been

Livingston - shite 

Ross County - I like the day out but having to get a bus back to Inverness is a total ballache 

St Johnstone - Always a good day and some good pubs in Perth but again a pain to get to ground from town 

Kilmarnock is decent, if only for the pies.

5 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Hamilton- shite

Killie - never been

Livingston - shite 

I bet you £500 that it’s not.

It's harder to find the time to go to many games these days. I like away days at Dingwall, even though it's a trek. I usually get a train to Inverness and then a bus to Dingwall, and it's nice to make a day of it and the Mallard is a magnificent pub. Hibs and Livingston are relatively close (I am five minutes' walk from Easter Road), so that's good for me. Motherwell and Hamilton are not too bad distance wise either. As I don't own a car and am rather lazy, getting to McDiarmid Park is a ballache. I could quite happily live without ever going to Paisley again, and the ground itself is utterly soulless. I hate Pittodrie, I haven't got the slightest intention of visiting Celtic Park or Ibrox, and I probably won't bother with Rugby Park unless someone wants to take me to Fanny By Gaslight afterwards. Even I struggle with the legroom at Rugby Park, and I am five foot nine.