Dundee United 2019/2020

58 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Personally for me the defence is a priority on the whole so in what order they are signed is irrelevant. The owners will obviously know we need to invest to stay up.

We have no cover at full back at all. Signing a solid, experienced right back to play and have Smith as backup seems a good start to me and I'm one of Robbies harshest critics. 

I'd agree we need 2 CH, a creative CM and a winger, I'd argue we need a left and a right winger really as McMullan isnt the answer to any question. But I'd add a good no.10 too.

The problem with this is that you’ve already identified 8 positions and my argument is, if you sign that many players you naturally have to scale back on quality.

Look at our history of player signings over the last few years - it’s horrendous, almost signing a new team each year, that you then have to pay off because they ain’t good enough.

2 hours ago, ArabFC said:

The problem with this is that you’ve already identified 8 positions and my argument is, if you sign that many players you naturally have to scale back on quality.

Look at our history of player signings over the last few years - it’s horrendous, almost signing a new team each year, that you then have to pay off because they ain’t good enough.

We need better quality players in all positions other than striker if we are to stay up. So what's the problem in signing one right back who is better than the one we have?

Do you think 4 players will be enough to keep us up? I don't. Not unless we go spending big in the January bargain basement. And that's an even worse time for Neilson to go picking players.

Scaling back quality dosent need to happen if you are signing 7 or 8 players if you take your time. The signing history of Neilson is indeed awful, I grant you, but if the Killie right back is anything to go by I'm happy enough with that calibre of signing.

Let's be honest, now we're a Premiership team it wont be as hard to find and sign players superior to McMullan, Robson and Connolly.

1 hour ago, ArabFC said:

I don’t think James McPake is the sharpest tool in the box...

5DC9E5C9-F708-488C-9361-FDC74C5E40C2.jpeg

That article is a lot of rubbish.

Basically, Malpas got a phone call from a top flight manager to ask about McPake and he said he was finished, he can't train at all and to not sign him basically. The manager phoned McPake (Who had been fit for the past month) and told him this.

8 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

We need better quality players in all positions other than striker if we are to stay up. So what's the problem in signing one right back who is better than the one we have?

Because, as @ArabFC says, then we will be left with a load of players to pay off in the next couple of years... 

Like it or not, we have a big squad under contract for at least the upcoming season and are already operating with a Premiership wage bill - now is the time to make a small number of excellent signings, to be integrated into the squad, and not revert to type and sign a whole new squad.  We cannot fall back into the traps that we fell into during the Eddie Thompson era.

Stephen O'Donnell apparently has offers from the English Championship on the table - if we are trying to compete with them on wages then we deserve everything that comes our way.  

1 hour ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Going by some of the comments on here maybe it would be better if the football didn’t come back.  It’s like sitting in a virtual George Fox lower.

Arab memories are short and reactions are extreme - you'd never guess that last season we went unbeaten from October to February!!

16 minutes ago, arab_joe said:

Stephen O'Donnell apparently has offers from the English Championship on the table - if we are trying to compete with them on wages then we deserve everything that comes our way.  

He was, very heavily, linked with Oxford United earlier this year, and Twitter talk was they offered him over £5k/pw. 

He apparently turned that down as he wants to play at the highest level possible.

I'd rate it alongside your links to Drey Wright (who's been rejecting contracts at Saints because he wants to return to England), in that you're a big spending promoted side so it's an easy link for papers/agents to sell stories.

Edited by RandomGuy.

3 hours ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Going by some of the comments on here maybe it would be better if the football didn’t come back.  It’s like sitting in a virtual George Fox lower.

I defend might right to complain and will acquire PPE and an AK47 if necessary to reinforce my point.

Stephen O'Donnell would be an excellent signing from what I can tell. In the Scotland squad very recently and a stand out for a good Kilmarnock side. I think my last memory of actually seeing him play was that ridiculous goal he scored at Tannadice for Partick. Contrary to some opinions, I'd be very confident of Liam Smith being able to step up but he's the only player in the squad remotely capable of playing at right back so we definitely need to strengthen that position irrespective of how well Smith does.

No idea who this "Drey Wright" character is. 

3 hours ago, Pull My Strings said:

Stephen O'Donnell would be an excellent signing from what I can tell. In the Scotland squad very recently and a stand out for a good Kilmarnock side. I think my last memory of actually seeing him play was that ridiculous goal he scored at Tannadice for Partick. Contrary to some opinions, I'd be very confident of Liam Smith being able to step up but he's the only player in the squad remotely capable of playing at right back so we definitely need to strengthen that position irrespective of how well Smith does.

No idea who this "Drey Wright" character is. 

Uhm we've got another formerly highly rated youngster who's primary position is RB.... 😂

If you think Smith is good enough (fair enough if you don't) for the top league, then advocating splashing out a large portion of the wage budget on another player in his position when we have other priorities is bonkers imho.

I appreciate most fans don't like to think of our wage bill being finite, but it is.

It's why I was so irritated when we signed Powers. He was clearly no improvement on Butcher, and now we're stuck with him because we already have to pay King to f**k off.

Screenshot 2020-04-21 at 16.54.07.png

Edited by ArabFC

2 hours ago, ArabianKnight said:

Uhm we've got another formerly highly rated youngster who's primary position is RB.... 😂

I'd hardly call Paul Watson a youngster.

Or highly rated.

Assume you're referring to Jake Davidson. Never seen him play so no idea whether he's any good.

Edit: or maybe that was a reference to Freeman. I don't recall him ever playing either and he's out of contract.

Edited by Pull My Strings