Dundee United 2019/2020

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

I’m not sure if you’re kidding, but I don’t know any Arabs who expect us to be competing for a European spot next season.

Personally if we can finish about eight points of second bottom I would regard that as a highly successful return to the top flight.

I wasn't kidding.  If you cast your mind back to a couple of months back, there was a definite sense of  'we're onto something big here, bring on the big boys' coming from Utd fans on here.  I think the current run of form is a bit of a reality check.  That said, the hard work has been done  and who can blame the players for taking the foot of the gas a little - maybe it's no more than that.

I hope it is though!  

Sticking to facts, you missed out 'when'.  While Neilson has not yet won the league, and never won it in December, and it remains to be seen whether your prediction becomes a fact on December 25th 2020.
Let's place a bet. You seem confident he will be sacked in the first few months of next season.
I'm quite confident you will be wrong once again

I don't necessarily want him sacked. I want him to stop being a negative, stubborn twat. Play to win rather than not lose. I don't even mind the style - hoof ball, tiki taka, whatever, as long as there's some urgency and coherent game plan.
This is the big issue a lot of fans have with him. Hes happy to take a 1-1 at home to the bottom club in the league and claim it's a point closer. Hes not wrong, I'll grant him, but hes fucking pished if he thinks its entertaining the fans. 
I've never taken to Neilson at any point...... wonder who said that.

You would love if he got sacked and had a new manager for the new season in the top flight, let's not talk shite.

Many of you ( twinkle can step to the front if he likes ) are eagerly waiting for him to fall apart next season , for whatever reason just to say " I told you so".

Just a mental attitude. Majority of signings may have been shite ( 17 points clear worth of shite ), however he has did what was asked of him this season so far.

However if you were to somehow f**k this up this season. This hopefully would go down in history as the biggest f**k up.

I can understand both sides of this.  On one hand, i'd love my team to be winning at a canter as Utd are.  On the other hand, I'd also be concerned that the expected challenge next season for top 4, and a place in Europe perhaps,  is not looking so attainable now.  And,  if things continue as they are now until the end of the  season, that 3 million quid offer for Shankland isn't happening.  
Still, bunch of moaning barstewards right enough.  

I’m not one of the miserable ones, and even in the midst of our unbeaten run this season, I’ve said I’d be happy with 10th next season. Anything above that will be a lovely bonus.

Our rebuilding will take a long time

1 hour ago, hk blues said:

I wasn't kidding.  If you cast your mind back to a couple of months back, there was a definite sense of  'we're onto something big here, bring on the big boys' coming from Utd fans on here.  I think the current run of form is a bit of a reality check.  That said, the hard work has been done  and who can blame the players for taking the foot of the gas a little - maybe it's no more than that.

I hope it is though!  

Maybe you can point to a post on here where an Arab claimed we would be challenging for Europe next season.

52 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

Let's place a bet. You seem confident he will be sacked in the first few months of next season.
I'm quite confident you will be wrong once again

What happened to 'sticking to facts'?  Now you have entered the realms of supposition.

I don't bet these days, for your future reference.

image.gif

3 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Maybe you can point to a post on here where an Arab claimed we would be challenging for Europe next season.

First of all,  I was paraphrasing as you well know - a proper read of my post would have told you that  Second of all,  you disagree that there was a certain euphoria on this forum a couple of months or so ago - that's the crux of my original post?

1 minute ago, hk blues said:

First of all,  I was paraphrasing as you well know - a proper read of my post would have told you that  Second of all,  you disagree that there was a certain euphoria on this forum a couple of months or so ago - that's the crux of my original post?

Nah, you’re backtracking like f**k.  Not to worry.

2 hours ago, arab_joe said:
15 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

...his tactics are easily countered by other managers.

Easily?  We have lost 5 games this season and are 17 points clear at the top. 

We'll have to agree to differ. He has us top with the best squad in the league, and some of the worst tactics, in my view. The likes of Peter Grant and Dick Campbell out think him, but they are limited by the resources at their disposal.

Results are, to some, everything this season, and there is a desperate desire for promotion. At the same time, I like to find football enjoyable, having paid money as a spectator to view a spectacle. If I just wanted victories I could go and watch Liverpool or Celtic.

For the record, I've never asked for Neilson to be sacked. We could get a worse replacement.

13 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Nah, you’re backtracking like f**k.  Not to worry.

Nope.  Read the post again - I'll credit you with enough intelligence to understand when someone is  paraphrasing.  I'm probably giving you more credit than you deserve though.  

Many of you ( twinkle can step to the front if he likes ) are eagerly waiting for him to fall apart next season , for whatever reason just to say " I told you so".

[emoji38] behave yourself eh. I dislike the guy, his tactics and his baffling team selections. However you are adding arms and legs by bizarrely claiming im hoping we get pumped next season just to prove i was right. Like most others on here, he was tasked with getting us promoted which he will do but id expect most managers to have got us promoted with arguably one of the highest wage bills in scottish football.

Do i trust him to push us on and make some decent signings to solidify us next season? Do i f**k

Do i want to see us fail next season? Do i f**k

2 hours ago, hk blues said:

I can understand both sides of this.  On one hand, i'd love my team to be winning at a canter as Utd are.  On the other hand, I'd also be concerned that the expected challenge next season for top 4, and a place in Europe perhaps,  is not looking so attainable now.  And,  if things continue as they are now until the end of the  season, that 3 million quid offer for Shankland isn't happening.  

Still, bunch of moaning barstewards right enough.  

Nobody's expecting to challenge for the top 4/Europe next season.

I am. I reckon we'll finish top 6 after a couple of astute signings by Neilson and Ashgar. 

We'll sign a commanding ball player if a centre half. Sporle will transform over the summer to a skillful Latin left winger, backed by a Norwegian mental case of a LB and Glass will become Gilmour-esque in hsi techinal ability and attitude. 

I may be slightly sarcastic here. 

Edited by ArabianKnight

2 hours ago, PartyFears2 said:

There definitely is a group of Arabs who can’t wait for Neilson to fail.

Which is, let's face it, crazy. 

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

I wouldn't hold your breath...

1 hour ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

We'll have to agree to differ. He has us top with the best squad in the league, and some of the worst tactics, in my view. The likes of Peter Grant and Dick Campbell out think him, but they are limited by the resources at their disposal.

Point taken - if all things were equal (financially) then Neilson may well not be top - but we are where we are and he has us 17 points clear at the top.  I would also argue that we have had very strong squads in the past 2 or 3 seasons and fallen well, well short of where we are now so, at least relative to the clowns that came before him at Tannadice, he is performing very well.

Results are, to some, everything this season, and there is a desperate desire for promotion. At the same time, I like to find football enjoyable, having paid money as a spectator to view a spectacle. If I just wanted victories I could go and watch Liverpool or Celtic.

For the record, I've never asked for Neilson to be sacked. We could get a worse replacement.

If you wanted to watch enjoyable football, why do you watch Scottish football ?
You enjoyed given teams a pumping ( you probably weren't moaning then) at the start of the season and you would of enjoyed the victories that went along with it.
Maybe you should be watching another team.

14 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

If you wanted to watch enjoyable football, why do you watch Scottish football ?
You enjoyed given teams a pumping ( you probably weren't moaning then) at the start of the season and you would of enjoyed the victories that went along with it.
Maybe you should be watching another team.

Mystic Meg? How would you have any idea what I've 'enjoyed'? Take your own advice and "Try stick to facts rather than being a slavering mess."

Not enjoying you mixing up a preposition for a verb either.

5 hours ago, arab_joe said:

I'd like us to be beating Barcelona home and away, again, but we are where we are...

The over-reaction by some sections of the DUFC support at points this season and last have been cringeworthy - we are sat at the top of the league, in a better position than we could reasonably have hoped for at the start of the season and in a way, way better position than we have been at the start of March in any of the previous Championship seasons... and yet lots of fans on here seem to want the manager sacked for not playing the formation that they think is best for the team. 

Yes, just like all other football managers that are so honest and forthright in their post-match interviews...

Easily?  We have lost 5 games this season and are 17 points clear at the top. 

I want him to get us promoted.

I'd settle for Alloa and arbroath tbh. 

I want him to get us promoted too. I'd just like a bit of entertainment for my money from time to time.

Edited by mishtergrolsch