Dundee United 2019/2020

3 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Over the last wee while Neilson has dropped the in form Watson for Mark "fucking blooter it" Connolly, played Pawlett in general and todays starting of two defensive midfielders that don't have an ounce of creativity between them at home to Arbroath are three major reasons why I think Robbie is not a very good manager. 

Adding all that to the starting of Sow made me wonder if Neilson may be suffering from some form of madness. 

There have been so, so many games like the one today but Shankland couldn't bail Robbie out this time. If and when we go up we will need to bring in 6 or 7 first team starters and unless we have a good few pre contracts sorted or coming up then this transfer window looks worse than a total waste of time.

Would it be fair to say Shankland is the difference between you and the "chasing" pack?  If so, how will he be replaced when he leaves - can he be replaced?

Don't get me wrong, i'd love to have seen him in Dark Blue and us running away with the league as a result.  

8 hours ago, OzzyArab92 said:

Mcmullan has been playing with a torn groin for the last month and has been playing with painkillers every week since around the Dundee game.

This makes our lack of activity in the transfer window all the more puzzling.

4 hours ago, hk blues said:

Would it be fair to say Shankland is the difference between you and the "chasing" pack?  If so, how will he be replaced when he leaves - can he be replaced?

Don't get me wrong, i'd love to have seen him in Dark Blue and us running away with the league as a result.  

In a large number of games I'd say yes. Hes been the one major difference. And we still don't play to his strengths fully imo. Yesterday Neilson had him starting behind Sow more like a number 10.

It's difficult to say if we would be top or not as wed have signed another striker obviously blah blah etc etc but the lead certainly wouldn't be as big. Even if Sow was a bit of a success (don't laugh now) I couldn't see him on anything  near 20 at this stage. 

Hes unlikely to be replaced imo. Not directly by someone of similar quality on our budget. Hes not perfect by any means but hes one of the best strikers / finishers I've seen in a long long time and his link up play is tremendous.

27 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

There's quite a few more than decent strikers for the Scottish championship who are free agents out there. 

Even another winger would be a good addition from those who are out with a club right now. 

Which strikers are you thinking of mate?

First half of last seasons title win we blew everyone away. Second half of the season was grim and we stuttered over the line.

Everyone knew the league was won and we were up against 9 other teams battling for everything. Same has happened here, I'd say it's pretty common for teams who are cruising away at the top.

My take on the last two games in particular is the fact that psychologically we think the job is done. The difference between the application in the Hibs games and Morton and Arbroath is plain to see. Yesterday we played it at what looked like 60-70%, almost at training game pace.

I heard Dick Campbell on the radio, sure it was during the week, talking about how this time last year Arbroath were 17pts clear and won the league by 7. He was talking about keeping the intensity and that it is difficult to keep the players at 100%.

What really annoys me though is the complete refusal to change the style of play. I don't know if this is Robbie or the players but certainly yesterday he was telling them to speed up. This constant passing back immediately after receiving the ball irrespective of whether the player has space to turn and move forward and pass, passing side to side slowly and crossing to one striker amongst centrebacks happy to face these balls. How can players (or manager) not see that by moving forward quicker, it stops the opposition from setting up their 2 banks of 5 amd if going wide playing the cross, low or high, in the space between retreating defenders and goalkeeper?

We can be greateful that none of the teams below us are capeable of putting a consistent run together. If ICT, for example had one there last two we could be looking at 12 points ahead with ICT a game in hand an potentially single figures clear. I would not like to see how we would react to that. Its all if you auntie had balls, but it shows we keep going 100% until confirmed.

16 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

What’s Craig Curran and Emil Lyng up to?

Just missed the boat with Curran I'm afraid, signed for a welsh team recently. I can see us going for Tony Watt, dont really rate him though. We badly need another striker, I thought we needed another one before Sow got injured 

Im glad that many more people are coming to the realisation that Pawlett is shite and offers nothing. If anyone else needs some stark truths, PM me now and i will inform you of them rather than you wait 6 months before repeating what i say