Dundee United 2019/2020

2 hours ago, Bairnardo said:
2 hours ago, Pull My Strings said:
Nobody is in any doubt about Shankland. Just some soor plooms being silly.

That's not strictly true. Shankland isnt the first or the last striker to have doubts cast about his ability to score at the next level up. I think it's fair enough in his case. Although I think it's fair to write off his previous forays as we appear to be seeing a different guy from Ayr United onwards. It's not an unfair question though. I think he will do ok a level up, without being a 20 goal guy.

Yet this season we have played top level opposition 3 times and he has scored 3 times.

1 minute ago, kdyteejay said:

Yet this season we have played top level opposition 3 times and he has scored 3 times.

Again, Jason Cummings scored twice against the Champions of Europe in thirty minutes. Should he be playing for a club in the Champions League? 

Cant understand the negativity regading Shanland, he has proven himself as an excellent goalscorer and its kind of petty to doubt whether or not he can do it at a higher level .
Why couldnt he?
IMO if he went to Celtic or Rangers he would be a bench filler with 10/12 per season if he went down south to say Stoke he would get more game time possibly but not score as many as 10/12 . am unsure if he can make the step up . huge 3m gamble

24 minutes ago, kdyteejay said:

20 minutes ago, Dele said:

Again, Jason Cummings scored twice against the Champions of Europe in thirty minutes. Should he be playing for a club in the Champions League? 

Ably covered Dele. Cheers

Lots going on in here today, which is nice (the content maybe not so much).

The only things I want to contribute are - 

- Powers played well last night but a few seem to disagree. He is probably the type of player who will continue to divide opinion as his job is a fairly simple one (but one that I think he does well from what I have seen so far). 

- I'm fairly relaxed about the Shankland situation, we seem to have a happy player and a happy club which will hopefully mean that both parties are comfortable with the plan moving forward. His value (should) only go up if he maintains decent form. 

- I continue to applaud RossDee and his commitment to the cause. 

It's irrelevant what posters think of Shankland's ability to move on to a higher level.

The decision will be made by whoever is prepared to pay most money.

Quite. Applying that logic across the board would make for an odd discussion forum right enough.

1 hour ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

It's irrelevant what posters think of Shankland's ability to move on to a higher level.

The decision will be made by whoever is prepared to pay most money.

If he isn't good enough, he'll just have to stay at Dundee United. Selfishly, I could live with that.

3 hours ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

If he isn't good enough, he'll just have to stay at Dundee United. Selfishly, I could live with that.

As much as I'd love Shankland to stay after the summer, I can't actually see him being allowed to stay If a significant bid were to come in for him.

The owners have invested heavily as promised , losing alot of money so far  in the process.

I would imagine they may want to recoup some of these losses, and look to stabilise the club's finances, and under the circumstances, not sure anyone could blame them for this.

I will just be happy to enjoy it while Shankland is here, and like the Honest Men who pop in here from time to time, will always love him for what he has done for our club this year.

I will just be happy to enjoy it while Shankland is here, and like the Honest Men who pop in here from time to time, will always love him for what he has done for our club this year.

No man was worshipped the way he was by our fans for as long as I’ve been a supporter.

The only thing that keeps me going is that he said he’ll be back at Ayr towards the end of his career.