Dundee United 2019/2020

15 hours ago, G_Man1985 said:

On Twitter certainly why are majority of fans already guessing he will fail down their ?
An awful mindset to have , but not surprising

To be fair, there is a difference between guessing that he will fail (which is a fairly normal mindset) and hoping that he will fail (which is, as you rightly say, an awful mindset).

14 hours ago, ArabianKnight said:

Wouldn't hold anything against the boy. He's at the very least doubled his wages and got a move down south. 

And fair play to him - signing a 3 year deal at any English Premiership team is likely to earn him more than most people make in a lifetime.  I wouldn't hold that against anyone, not least an 18 year old trying to give it a go in the Big Smoke.

I genuinely hope he goes on to do wonderful things in the game, like Andy Robertson has done.

13 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

I’d be happy to him fall on his arse if I thought it would send a message to other young players about moving too soon but it seems that’s a lesson that won’t be learned, particularly when there’s a greedy agent in the mix.

Agreed.  That lesson is already clear for all to see - if it has not been learnt by now then it likely never will be.  

Even just looking back at the last decade, it is staggering how many of our players who left for "big teams" played very little - Zaluska to Celtic, Sandaza to Brighton, Goodwillie to Blackburn, Gomis to Birmingham, Buaben to Watford, Allan to West Brom, Kenneth to Bristol Rovers, Scott Robertson to Blackpool, Gunning to Birmingham, Gauld to Sporting, Ciftci to Celtic, Harry Souttar to Stoke, Kieran Freeman to Southampton, Ali Coote to Brentford... 

There are a few exceptions to the rule, but they are depressingly few and far between.

2 hours ago, arab_joe said:

Agreed.  That lesson is already clear for all to see - if it has not been learnt by now then it likely never will be.  

Even just looking back at the last decade, it is staggering how many of our players who left for "big teams" played very little - Zaluska to Celtic, Sandaza to Brighton, Goodwillie to Blackburn, Gomis to Birmingham, Buaben to Watford, Allan to West Brom, Kenneth to Bristol Rovers, Scott Robertson to Blackpool, Gunning to Birmingham, Gauld to Sporting, Ciftci to Celtic, Harry Souttar to Stoke, Kieran Freeman to Southampton, Ali Coote to Brentford... 

There are a few exceptions to the rule, but they are depressingly few and far between.

I think you might be overstating how badly it went for Gomis, Goodwillie, Buaben and Sandaza. They all got a decent crack at the first team and played a fair amount of games. Zaluska was signed as a back up and played as many games as you would expect for a back up keeper. Gunning and Kenneth suffered serious injuries early on; Freeman clearly wasn't signed as a first team player and also suffered serious injuries. Souttar wasn't signed as a first team player either and is out developing on loan.

It's an attractive narrative but you really have to twist the facts to make it fit.

1 hour ago, Pull My Strings said:

I think you might be overstating how badly it went for Gomis, Goodwillie, Buaben and Sandaza. They all got a decent crack at the first team and played a fair amount of games. Zaluska was signed as a back up and played as many games as you would expect for a back up keeper. Gunning and Kenneth suffered serious injuries early on; Freeman clearly wasn't signed as a first team player and also suffered serious injuries. Souttar wasn't signed as a first team player either and is out developing on loan.

It's an attractive narrative but you really have to twist the facts to make it fit.

I think the players mentioned by @arab_joeare different from the Banks scenario anyway.  It would be more akin to Gauld moving before he had established himself at United.

Tony Asghar's statement about Banks on the club website was quite well worded in my opinion. 

Don't wish the lad any ill, but the law of averages dictates that he has a bigger challenge on his hands to make a name for himself now than he would have done had he stayed a bit longer at United. 

I get whey folks might be unhappy about how Banks (or his agent) has gone about this, but I don't think anyone hopes he will fail. It would be a bit counterproductive, given the add ons as part of the deal it's certainly not in United's interests for him to fail.

2 hours ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

I get whey folks might be unhappy about how Banks (or his agent) has gone about this, but I don't think anyone hopes he will fail. It would be a bit counterproductive, given the add ons as part of the deal it's certainly not in United's interests for him to fail.

You fail to recognise that there are bitter b*****ds out there (and maybe even on here).

I could have added “old” to the bitter b*****ds thing but will leave that to others.

Personally I hope he succeeds if there’s a good sell-on clause otherwise I’m not bothered.*

* hope he crashes and burns!

Absolutely no-one wants the lad to fail just because hes leaving United. They don't want to see a player get a massive move after 4 first team games though.

Look at Andy Robertson. Full season at queens park then a full season at United. Now look at Scott Allan. Where's Ryan Gauld these days? And to be fair he had 2 seasons at Tannadice.

If he goes down south and smashes it from the start, fantastic. Far more likely he'll kick about the reserves, get a few loans and end up back here before hes 22. It sounds shite but that's how football can work and a dozen games for Clyde isn't an indicator that your a premier league footballer. Not even close

A star man at a bigger club than United? 

20/20 hindsight of course, but he jumped to England far too early. He was the punchline of a Celtic joke.

Sure, he won’t be short of a few bob, but his career is only really beginning now at 28. Has a Prem medal with Celtic (13 apps)

He should have 25 caps by now. Has none.