Dundee United 2019/2020

Yup, and that’s why I said he was fine.
But we want to progress and I don’t think he’s what we need. Most teams need a Butcher - that aggressive fcuker who breaks up opposition threats.
And every team needs that guy in the middle of the park who DEMANDS the ball. Us even more so  given our centre backs aren’t that great on the ball. ie Mark ‘McPunty’ Reynolds.
Butcher doesn’t give us that, neither does Harkes or Stanton, and I don’t see it in Powers.

From where I was sitting Powers was demanding the ball but only in the middle of the park, further up the park when we were attacking he didn't seem to demand it at all. Occasionally I saw him demanding the ball to be passed to a certain player, at least I think that's what he was doing.

On 20/01/2020 at 01:59, Loemba90 said:

Smith, Stanton and Banks all likely to leave next week.  

I hope Banks doesn't do a Scott Allan - but the odds are stacked very, very heavily against him.  

On 20/01/2020 at 02:03, Granny Danger said:

Stanton leaving will weaken the squad.  

Agreed.  He has been good this season; very versatile and competent cover for a number of midfielders.

8 hours ago, stumigoo said:

Apparently Cammy Smith is away with Dundalk on their winter training camp as part of a trial period with them.

As discussed previously in this thread, Cammy Smith has hardly been given a chance at United and, with Clark out long-term, it seems an odd time to let him go.  Begs the question - why on earth did Neilson sign him in the first place?

5 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

All the best him.

Ultimately like a limited Stuart Duff. A functional footballer but I was never sure what his "thing" was he was meant to be good at.

Jesus, that's a name I have tried to wipe from my memory.  Stuart Duff was absolutely woeful - literally one of the least skilled footballers to ever pull on the Tangerine.  I know it was a long time ago and I should probably be over it by now, but his backpass against Gretna that allowed Kenny Deuchar to score when they beat us 2-1 is still one of the most laughably bad things I have ever witnessed at Tannadice (https://www.dundeeunitedfc.co.uk/news/2375/UNITED-1---2-GRETNA.html)...

Oh, and he also got the MyPa comeback rolling by giving away a penalty.

Sam Stanton has more skill in his big toe than Stuart Duff ever had.

Stanton and Harkes essentially played the same role, and given neither of them were first choice picks, it’s no surprise that we were looking to move one of them on.

A good player on his day, but neither consistent enough or tough enough to ever really win me over.

32 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Of our more defensive midfielders Butcher is good, Harkes is inconsistent, and the jury is still out on Powers.  A lot of folk have written off King but maybe he needs more chance to prove himself.

Fairly irrelevant when the manager has written him off. See Cammy Smith.

Edited by ArabFC

35 minutes ago, PartyFears2 said:

Was at the reserve game. He played well (Freeman)

Glass, Sow & Appere got minutes. United controlled the entire game. Training session stuff

Was he playing LB or did Wardrop play there? 

I'm hoping Freeman lives up to the promise he showed before that earned him his big move. Could be another young player United sell for loadsamoney

2 hours ago, ArabianKnight said:

Two new signings by the end of the week. Cammy Smith to Dundalk will be 90% likely to be sealed by Friday too. 

Would almost rather we didnt sign anyone now till the summer. With the league all but won would like to see Sporle , Glass and Appere get plenty of minutes. The squad is more than big enough to see us through till the end of the season and there will be far more players available then. 

The two new signings from the same source as the Everton bid? 😉

23 minutes ago, low-life said:

Would almost rather we didnt sign anyone now till the summer. With the league all but won would like to see Sporle , Glass and Appere get plenty of minutes. The squad is more than big enough to see us through till the end of the season and there will be far more players available then. 

The two new signings from the same source as the Everton bid? 😉

Yup. 

6 hours ago, ArabFC said:

Fairly irrelevant when the manager has written him off. See Cammy Smith.

Don't think the manager has written King off, otherwise he wouldn't of signed him in a 3 year deal. He's someone he knows from when King was a youth player at Hearts and was signed to bring on, not as an instant 1st teamer. Smith on the other hand was signed for the 1st team

Stanton away. I can see the reasoning behind it, he wasn't getting a new contract. I don't see this as weakening the squad as we have signed Powers. Stanton when played in a forward role and attacking looks useful, HOWEVER,  whenever he plays deeper as Neilson (and others to be fair) has played him at times he has been abysmal. Its like playing a man down, the opposition run right through us. Admittedly in his recent games he seems to have improved that part of his game.

Another reason I can see him going is the fact he can hardly train. Does he not do a lot of fitness work in the pool? The ability to work and improve him as a player will be limited due to how little he can train due to his knees.  I doubt he will be able to play a full season Premiership-wise.

I hold no ill feeling towards him and wish him well, he has contributed well to our promotion (hopefully!) this season, but I believe we would need a "stronger" player for next season than Stanton. Wish him well in America and wonder if the warmer climate may help his knees too