Dundee United 2019/2020

4 minutes ago, coppola said:

Opinions and all that but I thought Powers did fine. Of the midfield 3 we started with he'd be the one I'd be least concerned about. Butcher struggled a bit against better players and his frustration was starting to get the better of him towards the end while Harkes just looked lost most of the time.

He did do ‘fine’ but what does he add? If you think he’s an upgrade on Butcher, then fair enough, but I don’t see it.

7 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

He did do ‘fine’ but what does he add? If you think he’s an upgrade on Butcher, then fair enough, but I don’t see it.

Time will tell but I think he's better on the ball than Butcher and I think he'll get better as he adapts to the Scottish game. Butcher looked half a yard off the pace to me and it led to him giving away numerous needless fouls that put us under pressure. Honestly quite surprised that I've seen a number of Utd fans saying they thought he played well today.

43 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Powers looks cumbersome, and a bit overweight. Maybe just very solid, but not seeing much about him.

I thought Powers was fine,. didn't.see him look cumbersome at all to me. Looks tidy on the ball and didn't see him do anything wrong. To me he does want the ball, and to play the ball. Also he will be playing to Robbie's instructions. This is his 2nd game in Scotland.  

To me the one player who looked really suspect today was McMullan. He always seemed to "tickle" the ball and ended up giving it away, held onto the ball too long and ended up giving it away, or over hit the cross when in a good position. He's needing another kick up the arse as hea been like that for a few weeks again, needs to get back to the play he was producing earlier in the season.

7 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Powers was poor today but it’s only his second game for us in a changed formation against a Premiership side so shouldn’t read too much into it.

Shankland isolated today so restricted to one bit of magic.

As soon as I saw the team I thought Shankland would be isolated. That was unless McMullan and Pawlett supported him. Don't know if the formation was to nulify Hibs or to accommodate players, but if we are playing that we really need to close the gap between Shankland & midfield 

I thought Powers played well last week and I thought today he was the only midfielder who rarely misplaced a pass. He’s going to be someone who does a solid job of recycling the ball but the issue is we rarely seem to have options ahead of our central players and in spells today we were so unbelievably cautious off the ball.

3 minutes ago, Tannadeechee said:

I thought Powers was fine,. didn't.see him look cumbersome at all to me. Looks tidy on the ball and didn't see him do anything wrong. To me he does want the ball, and to play the ball. Also he will be playing to Robbie's instructions. This is his 2nd game in Scotland.  

To me the one player who looked really suspect today was McMullan. He always seemed to "tickle" the ball and ended up giving it away, held onto the ball too long and ended up giving it away, or over hit the cross when in a good position. He's needing another kick up the arse as hea been like that for a few weeks again, needs to get back to the play he was producing earlier in the season.

I'll agree about McMullan today, but he's hardly been poor for a 'few weeks again' as he's been out injured for the last few weeks.

Powers has had three games in Scotland: I've seen them all. I'll be pleased if he turns out to be an asset, but I'm not seeing it yet.

Powers was fine today and excellent last week.
At the very least, 2 weeks in to his united career i see far more to be enthusiastic than concerned about.
I hope Neilson realises that he made too many changes today and is more encouraged to have faith in players like Appere and Glass in the future, especially when so many of the players coming in to the squad we’re returning from injury.
I understand, but disagree with the rationale for dropping them in favour of Pawlett and McMullan.
As had been mentioned many times before by GD and others,the accommodation of Pawlett in particular can be very frustrating.
However, some positives to be taken from today, not least the resilience of the team to come from behind twice and the fact that there really isn’t that much between us and a team that will finish top 6 this season.

I thought Powers looked a bit lost 1st half. He and Butcher seemed to be tripping over each other trying to fill the same role within the team, but in the 2nd half he showed a decent range of passing. I think he looks ok. As has been said, today was still only his 2nd game for the club and it was also his 1st time playing alongside Harkes and Butcher after they both missed the Partick game last week. 

On 28/05/2019 at 09:06, Granny Danger said:

Aye, Neilson. 

I might be in a tiny minority on this but am happy to get it on record.

Also I am not convinced that Sow will do anything for us.  I hope I am wrong because Neilson will continue to play him come hell or high water.

After todays poor result surely its time for Nielson to go?

I thought that as a pair of blood and snotters defenders, both Connolly and Watson did well today (Watson had one amazing headed clearance that would have killed a mere mortal). Never comfortable with either trying to play actual football, but defensively I was pleased. 

Both Smith and Robson were caught out when on the back foot, I still would like to see us sign a left-back to compete in that area, it is clear that Sporle will never be an option there. 

Hopefully we get to see more of Glass in the role behind the striker, he clearly has bags of confidence after his loan spell at Cove.

2 hours ago, stumigoo said:

I thought Powers played well last week and I thought today he was the only midfielder who rarely misplaced a pass. He’s going to be someone who does a solid job of recycling the ball but the issue is we rarely seem to have options ahead of our central players and in spells today we were so unbelievably cautious off the ball.

Yup, and that’s why I said he was fine.

But we want to progress and I don’t think he’s what we need. Most teams need a Butcher - that aggressive fcuker who breaks up opposition threats.

And every team needs that guy in the middle of the park who DEMANDS the ball. Us even more so  given our centre backs aren’t that great on the ball. ie Mark ‘McPunty’ Reynolds.

Butcher doesn’t give us that, neither does Harkes or Stanton, and I don’t see it in Powers.

2 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

Yup, and that’s why I said he was fine.

But we want to progress and I don’t think he’s what we need. Most teams need a Butcher - that aggressive fcuker who breaks up opposition threats.

And every team needs that guy in the middle of the park who DEMANDS the ball. Us even more so  given our centre backs aren’t that great on the ball. ie Mark ‘McPunty’ Reynolds.

Butcher doesn’t give us that, neither does Harkes or Stanton, and I don’t see it in Powers.

I think Powers looks like he has the technique to be that player, but judging based on 180 minutes is difficult given the differing circumstances of both matches and both lineups. He has given two displays that have been solid enough to suggest he might have something about him.

Powers has between now and May to show us what he is capable of and with him being here next season it maybe means that he is here at the expense of possibly Stanton (I don't think there has been any chat of him extending his deal). 

22 minutes ago, stumigoo said:

I think Powers looks like he has the technique to be that player, but judging based on 180 minutes is difficult given the differing circumstances of both matches and both lineups. He has given two displays that have been solid enough to suggest he might have something about him.

Powers has between now and May to show us what he is capable of and with him being here next season it maybe means that he is here at the expense of possibly Stanton (I don't think there has been any chat of him extending his deal). 

Lots of chat on another forum that Stanton is away to America.

Powers from what I can read from his career in the states could well be that player. Previous MLS rookie of the year, and certainly at Colorado Rapids extremely highly thought of in doing just that. Will see how he gets on.