Dundee United 2019/2020

To an extent, I was posting to see the views of other United fans, however I acknowledge the defence has been tighter with Reynolds and Connolly in terms of goals conceded. However, I'd argue that Watson is more reliable at this level as a central defender than both, who are prone to daft errors. As an example, Reynolds on Saturday had a moment where he decided to try to play out of defence with the ball at his feet, leading to Thistle's goal.

And the lack of goals against might be down to the quality of opposition. I missed out Troy Brown from my list, another poor Neilson signing: Connolly and Reynolds are more dependable than him.

Pawlett is certainly a good footballer, but my point was he isn't consistently reliable, and it's surely accepted that we cannot rely on him as things stand. He'll have to prove his fitness and worth. Sporle is definitely a prospect, and I'd lean towards him proving a success in future, but he too hasn't yet shown consistency.

Possibly where I have doubts about Neislon's signing record is where he has gone for players he should know very well (Adam King, Osman Sow, Aidan Nesbitt, Peter Pawlett), yet they have not been great successes.

13 minutes ago, dundeeunited83 said:

Must also mention the massive improvement of players under neilson, robson, appere, seigrist, Mcmullan

People just can’t wait to have a dig at neilson, find it very strange

The original point I was making covered the argument that Neilson had made more good signings than bad. I disagree.

I will readily concede he's a better manager than McKinnon or Laszlo and several before them. To add to your list, Clark has shown he has more about him under Neilson as well. 

15 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

To an extent, I was posting to see the views of other United fans, however I acknowledge the defence has been tighter with Reynolds and Connolly in terms of goals conceded. However, I'd argue that Watson is more reliable at this level as a central defender than both, who are prone to daft errors. As an example, Reynolds on Saturday had a moment where he decided to try to play out of defence with the ball at his feet, leading to Thistle's goal.

And the lack of goals against might be down to the quality of opposition. I missed out Troy Brown from my list, another poor Neilson signing: Connolly and Reynolds are more dependable than him.

Pawlett is certainly a good footballer, but my point was he isn't consistently reliable, and it's surely accepted that we cannot rely on him as things stand. He'll have to prove his fitness and worth. Sporle is definitely a prospect, and I'd lean towards him proving a success in future, but he too hasn't yet shown consistency.

Possibly where I have doubts about Neislon's signing record is where he has gone for players he should know very well (Adam King, Osman Sow, Aidan Nesbitt, Peter Pawlett), yet they have not been great successes.

I suppose there is a fine line between "bad signing" and "didn't work out".

I think it's harsh to call him out on "players he should know very well". We were all creaming ourselves when Sow signed, especially given his record in Scotland, and we all knew Pawlett had real potential if he was fit. They haven't delivered for a number of reasons, but I don't think it's because Neilson showed too much faith in them.

19 minutes ago, dundeeunited83 said:

Must also mention the massive improvement of players under neilson, robson, appere, seigrist, Mcmullan

People just can’t wait to have a dig at neilson, find it very strange

If you've read this thread for the past few months, you will know that I am a huge defender of Neilson (even when others were calling for his head post-QOTS...) - I was simply pointing out that, especially in the more attacking areas, his signings have been mixed.

There is absolutely no doubt that he has a good eye for a defender and, to an even greater degree, has massively improved some of our players from last term - Robson, Watson and Siegrist look like different players from their pre-Neilson spells.  As does Callum Butcher, relative to his previous spell.

2 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Not convinced by that he has GD.

Only Butcher, Harkes, Shankland and Liam Smith have, to me, been consistently reliable. 

Freeman and Powers may prove good signings, but on my doubtful list are Connolly, Nesbitt, Pawlett, Reynolds, (Seaman), Cammy Smith, Sow, A. King and Sporle.

I've maybe missed some players out too.

I'd disagree with you in that list. Reynolds and Connelly both improved the defence.

Pawlett is a good player and has shown this. It was unfortunate that we didn't rest him last season when injured, but I suspect he will be a big player in the run in.

King was signed in a 3 year deal. He is in as back up and one to build up as a player to get him to where he was expected to be by this stage.

Cammy Smith, must be something behind the scenes, Sow has not worked, through injury & its been alluded to off field issues. He won't be here next season unless he does something special between now and May, can't see it though.

Nesbit, keep seeing comments that he was a pointless signing he wasn't. Turned 2 games for us coming off the bench. But for me the big thing about his signing was the impact on McMullan. Nesbitt's signing was a big kick up the arse for McMullan, he had competition for his place and you can track a big improvement in his performances from Nesbitt coming in. For this Nesbitt was a successful signing, not so much on the pitch, but squad wise.

Sporle, for me looks the most technically gifted player we have. Lad has struggled with the language and getting used to being in a completely different environment. As an attacking left sided player I think we'll see the best of him and from next season, we have been a bit "gentle" in bringing him on. Definitely a player there, just not at left back.

Edited by Tannadeechee
Forgot Sporle

2 hours ago, dundeeunited83 said:

Don’t understand how Reynolds and connolly are on doubtful list, albeit Connolly has been out for a lot of season but as a whole the defence have conceded 16 goals all season in league! I imagine there on your list for maybe there distribution cause it certainly can’t be there defensive ability

Pawlett if fit is one of best in league no doubts about it, you seen that for 4th goal on sat, when hes on his game and fully fit, hes a massive asset

The sow signing, everyone was excited about that signing! It just hasn’t happened for the boy, however he’s got 5 months to put that right

Tbh, the Sow signing was the one that excited me the least of our deadline signing flurry last year. I hadn't seen much of him when he'd thrived at Hearts previously and I knew his injury record since had been pretty poor. It's hard to get too worked up or bemused by how disappointing a signing he's been when my expectations of him were pretty low to begin with.

If you'd asked me a few games into the season then I would have said the Neilson signing I was most disappointed by would have been Reynolds, but in hindsight that was probably a little harsh. He's still particularly guilty of resorting to aimlessly punting the ball up field even under minimal pressure, but our defensive record on the whole since he came in has definitely improved.

If someone had told me following the East Fife cup match that we'd go on to have a 12 match unbeaten run, winning 11 of them, with mostly Reynolds and Watson at centre-half then I would have laughed my head off, whilst carefully backing away from the obvious lunatic.

59 minutes ago, captainkev said:

Tbh, the Sow signing was the one that excited me the least of our deadline signing flurry last year. I hadn't seen much of him when he'd thrived at Hearts previously and I knew his injury record since had been pretty poor. It's hard to get too worked up or bemused by how disappointing a signing he's been when my expectations of him were pretty low to begin with.

If you'd asked me a few games into the season then I would have said the Neilson signing I was most disappointed by would have been Reynolds, but in hindsight that was probably a little harsh. He's still particularly guilty of resorting to aimlessly punting the ball up field even under minimal pressure, but our defensive record on the whole since he came in has definitely improved.

If someone had told me following the East Fife cup match that we'd go on to have a 12 match unbeaten run, winning 11 of them, with mostly Reynolds and Watson at centre-half then I would have laughed my head off, whilst carefully backing away from the obvious lunatic.

Sow made his reputation in the Scottish Championship: he didn't score many in his 6 months in the Premiership, and did very little after leaving Hearts of note.

I think both Reynolds and Connolly have made a positive impression off the pitch, but have been disappointed with quite a few of their on field performances. The record this season though maybe indicates they are better than I rate them.

12 hours ago, PartyFears2 said:

So, with Dundee & United both reportedly interested in Alan Forrest, we will soon know where he thinks his level is..

I mean you say that, but I don't think I've seen a single proper source say Utd are linked with Forrest.

13 hours ago, PartyFears2 said:

So, with Dundee & United both reportedly interested in Alan Forrest, we will soon know where he thinks his level is..

18 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

I mean you say that, but I don't think I've seen a single proper source say Utd are linked with Forrest.

Ross makes a good point. If Forrest goes to Dundee it'll be because United didn't want him.

40 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

Not sure I would read anything into that. 

Maybe, but if I'm United and he's away why use him in a reserve game when I could be playing one of the young boys? And if I'm him do I risk getting injured in a pointless kickabout and ruining my move? f**k knows, probably I am reading too much in to it.

2 minutes ago, coppola said:

Maybe, but if I'm United and he's away why use him in a reserve game when I could be playing one of the young boys? And if I'm him do I risk getting injured in a pointless kickabout and ruining my move? f**k knows, probably I am reading too much in to it.

Could be a couple of teams are looking at him and want to see him play as not being in first team recently