Dundee United 2019/2020

15 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

We should definitely be looking to bring in a striker now.  Possible loan deal.

Not only do we have players in the squad that are ready to play, but it is also important for Neilson to start justifying the expenses that he has incurred at the club (by actually starting to play the players that he has brought in...).  If he deems that Cammy Smith and Osman Sow are not good enough (like he already deemed of Aidan Nesbitt), then why did he sanction their signing?  And why would anyone be confident that our next attacking signing would be any good!?

15 hours ago, ArabFC said:

...wasting more money on players we don't need isn't the route we should be taking.

Amen.  We are running at a significant loss already so the last thing we need is more players whilst Osman Sow and Cammy Smith are sat on the bench/in the stands.

8 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Genuinely don't remember a song about Caballero apart from the Please Release Me one.

The soundtrack to Athens in 2010.  One of our best ever songs.

5 hours ago, arab_joe said:

Not only do we have players in the squad that are ready to play, but it is also important for Neilson to start justifying the expenses that he has incurred at the club (by actually starting to play the players that he has brought in...).  If he deems that Cammy Smith and Osman Sow are not good enough (like he already deemed of Aidan Nesbitt), then why did he sanction their signing?  And why would anyone be confident that our next attacking signing would be any good!?

Daft comment.  Name me any manager whose signings have been 100% right.

Neilson has made more good signings than bad ones.

44 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Not convinced by that he has GD.

Only Butcher, Harkes, Shankland and Liam Smith have, to me, been consistently reliable. 

Freeman and Powers may prove good signings, but on my doubtful list are Connolly, Nesbitt, Pawlett, Reynolds, (Seaman), Cammy Smith, Sow, A. King and Sporle.

I've maybe missed some players out too.

1 minute ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Only Butcher, Harkes, Shankland and Liam Smith have, to me, been consistently reliable. 

Freeman and Powers may prove good signings, but on my doubtful list are Connolly, Nesbitt, Pawlett, Reynolds, (Seaman), Cammy Smith, Sow, A. King and Sporle.

Reynolds?  Really?  Also disagree about Connolly.

I was willing to write Sporle off but think he can offer something in a more advanced role.  I have my doubts about King but maybe need to see more of him and I’m neutral on Cammy Smith though probably agree with you tbh.

I am a critic of Neilson but I think signing the right players is a difficult task.  I’m more annoyed when he insists on playing said players when they are obviously no use.

Look at out defensive record before and after the signing of Connolly and Reynolds. Although neither are in the Maldini and Ramos moulds, they have definitely improved our back line and must be considered successful signings. Whether both will be good enough for the top flight is a different argument.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

Daft comments.  Nobody has ever suggested that any manager will get 100% of their signings right (even Sir Craig Levein signed Roy O'Donovan).

Also, that's not true - especially in relation to attacking players.

8 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

He has certainly had mixed success in the transfer market; and has found better defensive players than attacking.  The only successful attacking signing is Shankland.  

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

I think signing the right players is a difficult task.

Another reason to keep with Shankland, Appere, Sow and Cammy Smith.

Don’t understand how Reynolds and connolly are on doubtful list, albeit Connolly has been out for a lot of season but as a whole the defence have conceded 16 goals all season in league! I imagine there on your list for maybe there distribution cause it certainly can’t be there defensive ability

Pawlett if fit is one of best in league no doubts about it, you seen that for 4th goal on sat, when hes on his game and fully fit, hes a massive asset

The sow signing, everyone was excited about that signing! It just hasn’t happened for the boy, however he’s got 5 months to put that right