Dundee United 2019/2020

2 minutes ago, stumigoo said:

Well we played a 4141 yesterday and strolled it.

Folk just remember the games earlier this season where Clark appeared to be playing about 40 yards behind Shankland.

As long as you have the midfield supporting Shankland - ala Sporle's goal - the actual formation we line-up in doesn't bother me one jot.

We could also go 442 with Appere or Sow up top alongside Shankland and 2 from Pawlett, Stanton, Sporle Or McMullan on the wings.

To be honest the more I think about it, this seems like such a heavy blow because of how good Clark has been as of late, but as long as we hold on to Shankland and the rest of the squad stays relatively fit we should have more than enough given the situation we are in.

29 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

Why? Clark more often than not didn't play as a striker.

Pawlett could play in the no.10 role, as could C.Smith, Harkes, Stanton and Glass.

The league is as good as won, wasting more money on players we don't need isn't the route we should be taking.

We played our best when Clark was playing as a striker, particularly up beside Shankland.

5 minutes ago, dregs 83 said:

We could also go 442 with Appere or Sow up top alongside Shankland and 2 from Pawlett, Stanton, Sporle Or McMullan on the wings.

To be honest the more I think about it, this seems like such a heavy blow because of how good Clark has been as of late, but as long as we hold on to Shankland and the rest of the squad stays relatively fit we should have more than enough given the situation we are in.

Yeah if both Shankland and Appere stay fit we don’t need another striker.  Yesterday’s game shows how quickly that can change.

Edited by Granny Danger

Don't really see us going out and buying a striker mysel. If he wants to play 2 strikers then Appere can shift central or we have a number of players who can play the number 10 role off Shankland. Maybe a loan if someone suitable is available but we're in a strong enough position that I don't think we have to be going out desperately searching for a replacement for Clark.

35 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

As long as you have the midfield supporting Shankland - ala Sporle's goal - the actual formation we line-up in doesn't bother me one jot.

Agree with this, 1 up front is fine provided we're getting guys up in support. Glass at the 2nd and Pawlett at the 4th yesterday are good examples of what we want to be seeing from attacking midfielders.

I honesty think it's more complicated than us playing 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1. United's attack is so fluid, the only consistency is Shankland always stays the furthest up. You could see this yesterday, sometimes it was Clark playing alongside Shankland, sometimes Glass pushed further up and Clark dropped back, sometimes Appere or Sporle would push up and someone would be there to fill the space they left behind.

With this in mind, I don't think we need to bring someone else in, we've already got the players here to play the system, it would seem a bit pointless to me.

Folk get absolutely obsessed with the numbers and it completely misses the point. 442/4231/4141 are all essentially the same formation just with some guys dropping 10 yards deeper out of possession or pushing slightly further forward in possession. During the course of a game it'll change repeatedly depending on how the game is going and how the opposition are lining up. There's plenty of guys who can play those four attacking positions, even without Clark.

Real shame for Clark given how well hes done this season. Dont see the need to go and waste money on bringing in cover however.

As people have already said, Sow, Appere and Smith can all play up top whilst Glass, Pawlett, Smtih and Mcmullan can all play as AM/No 10.

2 minutes ago, RossDee01 said:

Just read about Nicky Clark’s injury, shame for him as he seems to be having a good season. Hopefully the Dundee United fans can refrain themselves from singing songs taunting his injury.

He didn't try to break someone else's legs so I'm sure we'll be fine.

54 minutes ago, RossDee01 said:

Just read about Nicky Clark’s injury, shame for him as he seems to be having a good season. Hopefully the Dundee United fans can refrain themselves from singing songs taunting his injury.

Unlikely that fans would sing such a song about one of their own players. What an odd observation.

1 hour ago, Dele said:

Neither did Caballero. Never stopped that song being sung about him though 🤷‍♂️

was he the boy that looked like Harvey Price?

I think the song was about McPake. Hope none of the porters at the hospital had a laugh at Clark, that's a sacking offence, if the patient is a fucking GRASS

1 minute ago, Zoomer Brown said:

was he the boy that looked like Harvey Price?

I thought it was Hemmings that looks like Harvey Price according to your lot? 

*Neither looks like Harvey Price. 

**Talking of grasses, your comment has been reported.