Dundee United 2019/2020

Based on Neilsons comments and his Instagram, Nicky Clark’s injury isn’t good.

Absolutely gutted at that, I think we need someone else in.

Surely cammy smith would be better staying
And playing his best position which nicky clark currently plays

Smith not even on the bench yesterday, assume he’ll be away this week.

Dont know if we really need to make a signing to replace Clark, he’s been playing almost in midfield last couple games - Glass looks a great player and we have Pawlett back now.  Plus Harkes, Stanton and McMullan to come back in.

On 11/01/2020 at 05:44, coppola said:

What would be your preference? f**k him off to train with the youths then bin him in the summer? Pay to release him now? He's played a dozen games tor United and obviously wasn't fit in a lot of them. Like I said, I'm not overly optimistic but writing the guy off without giving him a chance seems pointless and wasteful.

I've said it before, but I see no reason that we would go out and buy another back-up striker when we have Shankland, Clark, Appere, Sow and Cammy Smith.  Sow and Cammy Smith are more than capable as 4th and 5th choice strikers.  Now that Nicky Clark is badly injured I hope we will just give more time to those that we have in the squad - no player can show his real worth if he is getting 10-15 minutes at the end of games and I feel Cammy Smith (and maybe even Sow, though that may be pushing it) could be a far better player than we have seen so far.

15 hours ago, BukyOHare said:

Having watched Shankland's hat trick today first hand and appreciating he's been with you for only half a season and is playing in the Championship, I wondered how Utd fans would judge him against the top strikers to have ever played for the club. Too soon? 

Probably too soon as he is yet to make an impact in the top league, but it has to be said (and has been said by many already...) that he is absolutely unplayable at times.  The most instinctive player, and with better positional awareness, than anyone I have ever seen in Tangerine.

2 hours ago, dregs 83 said:

Based on Neilsons comments and his Instagram, Nicky Clark’s injury isn’t good.

Absolutely gutted at that, I think we need someone else in.

Clark has been massive for us this season (and were it not for Shankland he would be attracting far more discussion); he will be a huge miss this next few months.  Here's hoping that one of the above-mentioned Appere, Smith or Sow makes the step up...

Hope not, dont rate him at all. 

Cammy smith was one of st mirrens best players when they strolled the league. He clearly needs a run of games and seems daft for you to spend more money when you potentially have a ready made replacement already on the books

Either we bring in a striker or Neilson reverts to a permanent 4231 and uses Shankland, Appere and Sow as the lone striking options. With Glass, Butcher, Powers, Stanton, Harkes and King as our central midfield group we have plenty of cover if we were to play with a compact midfield.

2 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

We should definitely be looking to bring in a striker now.  Possible loan deal.

Why? Clark more often than not didn't play as a striker.

Pawlett could play in the no.10 role, as could C.Smith, Harkes, Stanton and Glass.

The league is as good as won, wasting more money on players we don't need isn't the route we should be taking.