Dundee United 2019/2020

2 hours ago, coppola said:

Neilson and Reynolds both been in the media talking up Sow the last couple of days. Can't say I'm overly optimistic but if he's going to be here till the summer we're as well giving the guy a shot. 

There’s no logic to that argument.  Fair enough if we find ourselves 3-0 up with 20 minutes to go then throw him on but there’s not been many games this season where we’ve been in that position 

Even then he’s taking a place on the bench that might be better going to another.

6 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

There’s no logic to that argument.  Fair enough if we find ourselves 3-0 up with 20 minutes to go then throw him on but there’s not been many games this season where we’ve been in that position 

Even then he’s taking a place on the bench that might be better going to another.

Really, did you see our bench last week.

4 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

There's no logic to giving a football player a chance to impress?

1 hour ago, coppola said:

There's no logic to giving a football player a chance to impress?

He’s had a chance to impress.  He’s not impressive.  He’s unimpressive.

Thankfully I think we’ve probably got enough to see us over the line without bringing in another striker but given the importance of this season I would have liked some insurance.

1 hour ago, ArabianKnight said:

The club shop has placed an urgent order for 5000 ten-gallon hats in case he's decent.

7 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

He’s had a chance to impress.  He’s not impressive.  He’s unimpressive.

Thankfully I think we’ve probably got enough to see us over the line without bringing in another striker but given the importance of this season I would have liked some insurance.

What would be your preference? f**k him off to train with the youths then bin him in the summer? Pay to release him now? He's played a dozen games tor United and obviously wasn't fit in a lot of them. Like I said, I'm not overly optimistic but writing the guy off without giving him a chance seems pointless and wasteful. Judging from Neilsons comments he'll be getting his shot and I fully expect to see him take a place on the bench in the coming weeks.

eta. I, and I think plenty of others, had written off Paul Watson as being shite but a chance came his way and he's put in a couple of months worth of really good performances now. It is possible for a player to turn things around.

Edited by coppola

There have been guys on the bench in recent weeks with little or no chance of coming on or contributing much if they did. No harm giving Sow the odd chance to see if he's a better player when fit (if he is actually fit). He's surely shown in the past that he can be a useful player.

I'm not holding my breath but you never know.

There has obviously been a decent turnaround in our form over the last couple of years. Managerial changes aside, who would be the most influential signing towards this?  I would argue getting Reynolds signed permanently would be the standout for me though Butcher not far behind.

Im quite happy for Sow to be given a chance. Looking at our squad depth, there hasnt been a lot of attacking options recently from the bench plus hes a useful addition if either Clark or Shankland pick up an injury. On a presonal note, i hope he comes back and scores goals for fun as some of the comments ive seen online about him are disgraceful

Im quite happy for Sow to be given a chance. Looking at our squad depth, there hasnt been a lot of attacking options recently from the bench plus hes a useful addition if either Clark or Shankland pick up an injury. On a presonal note, i hope he comes back and scores goals for fun as some of the comments ive seen online about him are disgraceful

Agree with this, would like him to shut a pus or two

Osman Sow has had injury issues for a number of years, so this colours judgements before he gets on the park. His style isn't what is normally expected of a big striker, as he is more of a thoughtful footballer than a battering ram, and in Scottish football this is sometimes seen as a negative.

My thoughts are that his injuries have taken a toll, and he won't get back to anywhere near his best. I would like to be wrong, as should every United fan who doubts his worth.

Sow is clearly out the door in the summer. If he can give us a few months injury free (doubtful) then there is no reason not to have him as an option but Neilson will need to make that call. If our budget is being used to strengthen other areas and we are not bringing in a striker then I’m okay with Sow being our fourth choice striker behind Shankland, Clark and Appere.

Sow has already played for you and Kilmarnock this season, so it's not as if you've got a choice about keeping him. I doubt he'd accept being freed to just sit in his house for 6 months before trying to find a new club next season.

I’m sure you’re all pleased to discover that you were in fact not paying wages under Ray McKinnon, meaning you’ve surely made a massive profit overall from your time in the Championship regardless of what you’ve spent this season: https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/ray-mckinnon-comes-out-swinging-21258101.amp?__twitter_impression=true

60F85B9E-B326-4E6B-984E-08C3867FF945.jpeg.663244db22a425dece978d1cbbfab5e3.jpeg