Dundee United 2019/2020

50 minutes ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

Aye, I think United would bite the hand off any club who offered £2.5 million for Appere.

Yeah, I think so and justifiably so imo given the financials from last year. 

Appere has been superb and well exceeded expectations, and unlike Banks, committed to United allowing for us to talk numbers like these.

If he goes for anything like 2.5 mil it will be the best bit of business we have done since Robertson and Gauld, and let's get a tasty sell on clause in there as well.

We can absorb losing Appere  in January. As long as we don't sell Shankland we'll be fine.

Eta. Whoever buys Appere should get 100k off the asking price if they take King as well.

10 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

We’re not getting £2.5m for Appere.  Sorry to burst any bubbles.

Fair one, but if he does go, it won't be for peanuts.

Personally, I don't want any of the mainstay players to leave until at least the summer. 

If it ain't broke, don't fix it and all that.

Also, the likes of Shankland and Appere have decent time left on contracts even from the summer.

No need to take any risks when we could get just as good if not better fees then.

Edited by MacArab

11 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Messi is classed as a striker but doesn’t play in that conventional role.

Not that I’m suggesting that Appere is as talented as Messi!

That is better names in their proper order.

Ranking down Messi, utter sacrilege 😡.

On 06/12/2019 at 01:54, Dele said:

That was Ali Coote. 

I Googled Ali Coote yesterday to discover that he is coming up for 22 years old and hasn't played a minute of first-team football since he last played for United on 12 May 2017.  Whilst playing for and captaining Brentford's B team is great, I think it is a huge step-up from that to League football either side of the border and it will be very interesting to see what becomes of him. 

I hope that Louis Appere (see below) is mindful of that - it infuriates me how many young players throw away potential by going to England before they should...

On 14/12/2019 at 20:55, Mark Connolly said:

Another win ground out, and other results going our way too. 13 points clear.

Neilson out first time we lose though.

It still makes me cringe that DUFC fans were genuinely suggesting that the manager should be sacked with us sat at the top of the league.  Truly embarrassing.

On 15/12/2019 at 15:21, Sarto Mutiny said:
On 15/12/2019 at 15:17, DAVIDB69 said:
We had better take it seriously , throwing cup ties has been a feature of our championship years .

I think we will. It will show how good we actually are, and I think we will learn a lot about the team with a view to next season. I'm really looking forward to it. Hopefully the game sells out

Quite presumptuous. I can't believe Arabs can even think things like that, never mind type it on a public forum. 

I've seen this film too many times...

On 15/12/2019 at 17:50, ArabianKnight said:

With the financial mess we have behind the scenes, we would snap the hand off any team that offered half of that... and quite we should, especially if we could get him back on loan for the next 6/12 months and also a healthy sell-on clause.

For what little it is worth, he is a good player with a great work ethic - I would wish him well if he was to leave!

10 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

We’re going to sell Shankland and Appere on deadline day and f**k the whole thing, aren’t we?

Ah, you've seen this film before too...

Where do we need to strengthen in January?

I would be happy with a back up right back so we don't have the horror of watching Watson playing there if Smith is injured or suspended. Maybe a left back too to challenge Robson. Sporle doesn't look capable defensively.

Edited by Szamo's_Ammo

2 minutes ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

I would be happy with a back up right back so we don't have the horror of watching Watson playing there if Smith is injured or suspended. Maybe a left back too to challenge Robson. Sporle doesn't look capable defensively.

Wardrop is back in full training so he could potentially fill that role.

For me we need more genuine wingers. We have looked very light without McMullan and Pawlett is permanently injured. A couple of good loan signings would be fine by me. The pre-contracts and targets for next season then become the priority. 

59 minutes ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

Getting rid of Sow and Pawlett would be a start.

Yeah we need another left back, Sporle isn't a defender although I reckon he's going to be a cracking left winger who's got defensive attributes. 

Agreed about Wardrop hopefully his injury woes are behind him and he does alright in training and can continue his development. 

Punt Sow, Pawlett and possibly King (I've noticed he's been used at the end of games recently how has he done in his cameos?). 

32 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

Yeah we need another left back, Sporle isn't a defender although I reckon he's going to be a cracking left winger who's got defensive attributes. 

Agreed about Wardrop hopefully his injury woes are behind him and he does alright in training and can continue his development. 

Punt Sow, Pawlett and possibly King (I've noticed he's been used at the end of games recently how has he done in his cameos?). 

In answer to your question at the end,  it's being very generous to King to say that he has been completely anonymous during any spell he has had on the pitch.

I repeat.  Very generous.

Wardrop is back in full training so he could potentially fill that role.
For me we need more genuine wingers. We have looked very light without McMullan and Pawlett is permanently injured. A couple of good loan signings would be fine by me. The pre-contracts and targets for next season then become the priority. 

a true left winger for balance.

And, without tempting fate, anyone coming in must be with a view to next season