Dundee United 2019/2020

11 hours ago, Dens83 said:

I we all get blinded by Robertson now instead of how he was at us. He was a good player but I think Dixon was better. My team is.
Pernis
Dixon
Fojut
Webster
Dillon
Gomis
Butcher
Conway
Gms
Armstrong
Daly

Bonkers!

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

Agree with the first sentence but not the second.  Gauld was an incredible talent and I’m both surprised and saddened by his lack of progress, I really thought he would become a sensation.

This. Gauld was by far and away the most exciting talent of the group.  Sad to see he's never really kicked on.

Edited by ArabFC

2 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

No group will ever agree on which players should be included, but although Dods and Rankin were important cogs at one point, I wouldn't go along with putting them in a team of the decade. Pleased you never jumped in with Shankland, and a good explanation as to why that is the case. Fojut would get Dods' place for me, and Gauld for Rankin. Watson was, to me, a better right back than Dillon, but on going injury issues let him down. Dillon at his peak, I've no issue with that.

The left back position, Dixon or Robertson? Unlike many United fans I felt Douglas got a hard time, and it was a pleasure to have such options for much of the decade. But I'd go with Robertson, if using the argument of his best contribution, as I am with Dillon.

Finally, we've been attributed with an interest in Kieron Bowie (Raith Rovers) in reports, not long turned 17. 

Yeah I think that from the feedback this morning and comments on social media, the majority seem to agree with the same names but disagree about the order. I put Dillon, Rankin and Dods in the side for nostalgia in terms of me as a fan and players that I always had soft spot for (more than ability). 

I think some are maybe guilty of forgetting a little bit of the spell between 2008-2013 when we were incredibly stable and probably took for granted how decent we actually were and how regularly we competed with the best teams in Scotland (whilst having some fairly average players playing above their level). For someone like Dillon there are those who forget that period and only remember 2015 onwards when things started to spiral downwards. 

The last few years have pummelled us but hopefully we are back on track...

1 hour ago, stumigoo said:

I think some are maybe guilty of forgetting a little bit of the spell between 2008-2013 when we were incredibly stable and probably took for granted how decent we actually were and how regularly we competed with the best teams in Scotland (whilst having some fairly average players playing above their level). For someone like Dillon there are those who forget that period and only remember 2015 onwards when things started to spiral downwards.

I really liked Dillon at right-back. Any disdain for him probably hinges on the latter part of his career where he morphed into a pretty crap centre-back.

However, he is in the team principally because, well, who the hell else is there for right-back? A crocked Mark WIlson, a crocked Keith Watson, or Ryan McGowan?

At the other end of the pitch, the competition is such that I had to leave out Craig Conway, who, I think a lot of folk forget had a pretty decent career after leaving Tannadice. In fact at 34, he's a winger that could probably still get a regular game for us.

I really liked Dillon at right-back. Any disdain for him probably hinges on the latter part of his career where he morphed into a pretty crap centre-back.
However, he is in the team principally because, well, who the hell else is there for right-back? A crocked Mark WIlson, a crocked Keith Watson, or Ryan McGowan?
At the other end of the pitch, the competition is such that I had to leave out Craig Conway, who, I think a lot of folk forget had a pretty decent career after leaving Tannadice. In fact at 34, he's a winger that could probably still get a regular game for us.

He’s in my team due to contribution on and off the park, the squad contains others who fit that bill.

I’ve had a fair few - “can’t believe you’ve included _____ he was shite” but I do say, constantly, in the blog post that it is about players who I personally felt I had a fan connection with over the last ten years.

On 22/11/2019 at 19:05, PartyFears2 said:

Stewart Milne jumps & club finances released on Monday...

I think fans of all clubs can unite in a big LOL if that club hits the skids.

It’s their turn

According to media reports it looks like they are about to announce healthy finances, a huge investment, a new chairman and a tie-in with Atlanta United.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

This is probably the best United performance of this millennium.

Correct!

The game against St Mirren at Tannadice a couple of weeks before, we were fantastic, but that day we took it to another level.

Probably the best United performance I’d seen live since the 1980s. Shame it couldn’t last.

If it's a team of the decade, Fojut's impact in the decade was bigger than Dods for me, although I'd give anything for a Dods type right now. I'd have Keef ahead of Dillon, though as he was during most of Keef's career, Dillon is an able deputy there. 

Russell has to be in the team for me. I'd bin Rankin and go balls out with him alongside Daly in a 2.

On 24/11/2019 at 00:12, stumigoo said:

Let's get back on track.

I'm ready for the comments...

Link

One thing that I find amusing/depressing is the fact that if you had listed the starting line up of our Cup winning team from 2010 it wouldn't be far off the best... little did we know at the time that we had peaked 5 months into the decade (barring a couple of months in late 2014 when we were on fire).

My team would be a very attacking 3-4-3  as follows:

1. Pernis. Goalkeepers were our strongest suit in the previous decade (Paul Gallacher, Lukas Zaluska, Nicky Weaver, the Monk etc.), but we have had little to shout about since Pernis.  Siegrist is likely second best, ahead of Cierzniak (I still have not recovered from the Cup final in 2014...).

2. Watson. Right-back has been another area of weakness - Liam Smith is finally a solid replacement for Keith Watson who, in my eyes, should never have been allowed to go out on loan or released at the end of his contract.  His goal versus Rangers into the Shed is one of my favourite ever United goals.

3. Robertson. Best left back in Europe.  I was lucky enough to see his debut at Partick Thistle - he was the best player on the park, despite looking 14 years old and weighing about 6 stone.  Has gone on to amazing things from then - it will likely be a very, very long time before another ex-DUFC player wins the Champions League.

4. Dillon.  Great servant to the club.  346 games for DUFC before he left - more than 100 more than any other player that played in the decade.

5. Gomis.  Another great servant to the club (200+ games) and, at his peak, the best centre-midfielder in Scotland.  Could effortlessly break up an attack and pass the ball on.

6. Conway.  His performance on 15 May 2010 will go down in United folklore.  That aside, he was a great winger with a brilliant delivery - I think he was quite under-rated when he was with us.

7. Armstrong.  The timing of him going to Celtic was unfortunate to say the least, and sometimes overshadows the fact that he had got 150 games under his belt for us before leaving.  A truly classy midfielder, we have never found a replacement.

8. Gauld.  Silkiest player of the decade.  Incredible playmaker.  It still saddens me to think that he has basically played about 50 first-team games since he left 5 years ago.  I fear that we will look back on his career as a complete waste of a huge talent.

9. Russell.  One of my favourite United players of all time.  Performed brilliantly in the biggest games, especially against the Old Firm and Dundee.  His goal against Rangers after about 10 seconds is an all-time classic.

10. Ciftci.  Genius.  He left far too soon, but his celebration before scoring at Ibrox will live long in the memory.  Jon Daly does run him close - what he achieved, with limited ability and a lot of bad luck with injuries, is incredible.  

11. GMS.  Most technically gifted player of the decade, and an absolute pleasure to watch.  Embarrassed defenders in a way that no player has since.

On 24/11/2019 at 17:11, Dirty Arab 83 said:

I've just watched the Saints V Dons game, hard to believe all the hype a few months back surrounding May and the teams that were supposedly trying to sign him..................he was really poor, showed absolutely nothing.

Yeah, we dodged a bullet there.

23 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

There with my son who’s birthday it was that day. Brilliant game for us but also remember some of their fans looking for bother when we walked by them.

Watching that brings back memories of how exciting a player ciftci was, no matter where he picked up the ball, you always felt he would be able to fashion a chance.
The Rangers semi final was another example of that, the guy played completely without fear and was so confident, which could also lead to huge frustration given he selfish he could be.
The fact that we went from that performance from that team, to being relegated in the space of a couple of years, is a complete and utter disgrace.