Dundee United 2019/2020

40 minutes ago, stumigoo said:

Let's get back on track.

I'm ready for the comments...

Link

Given all the fantastic players we have had at times over the last decade (the first half of it at least), neither Rankin or Dods should be in there. Fine players for us no doubt, but not team of the decade worthy imho.

For me both Johnny Russell and Nadir Ciftci (suck it haters) are ahead of Daly.

And, whatever may have happened to him now, at the time, Ryan Gauld was the best of the lot out of that team of 13/14

So...

gk: Pernis

rb: Dillon

lb: Robertson

cd: Webster

cd: Fojut

cm: Gomis

cm: Buaben

rm: Armstrong

am: Gauld

lm: GMS

cf: Russell

subs: Cierzniak, Watson, Douglas, Souttar, Dods, Flood, Robertson, Swanson, Conway, Ciftci, Daly, Shankland.

Edited by ArabFC

I was trying to strike a balance between ‘good’ players and those that stood out for me in terms of certain games, time periods or particular memories, partly because I knew I would have so many different options in certain areas of the park (a nice problem to have). Rankin is the one that is the most obvious to replace but I would still have Dods ahead of Fojut.

Edit - I would imagine 99% of teams/squads would contain a different combination of roughly the same 18-20 players. Sadly the majority from quite a few years ago now!

2 hours ago, stumigoo said:

Let's get back on track.

Link

Not too much to disagree with there. Due to how his time finished I feel folk forget Dillon was player of the year one year and at his peak could do a grand job at centre half and midfield.

Rankin is one I would argue with. I found him utterly infuriating. The amount of times he refused to look to his left and missed players in space so he could do the, easier for him, pass to his right to a player surrounded was unbelievable. That and his running towards an opposition player made it look like he was attempting to tackle, even though he was nowhere near. He got the applause from the crowd for trying but to me it looked like a lazy player well off the pace. That's not to say he didn't have good games and didn't make a good contribution at times, but utterly frustrating.

I was a big fan of Daly. Yes he could play the typical centre forward, but he had more to him and was fairly good on the ball. Yes Ciftci, the mad b*****d, was more "flamboyant" and more likely to get fans off their seats, but Daly at his peak was more reliable and more consistent.

Dods was a Ronseal player. He defended. Nothing fancy. Like you was not to excited by his signing but he proved me wrong. He knew his limitations, worked hard and would have been a godsend over the last 5 years.

Honourable mention to Kovacevic too.

6 hours ago, Dens83 said:

I we all get blinded by Robertson now instead of how he was at us. He was a good player but I think Dixon was better. My team is.
Pernis
Dixon
Fojut
Webster
Dillon
Gomis
Butcher
Conway
Gms
Armstrong
Daly

I have seen a few people mention Butcher but to have him ahead of players like Robertson, Buaben, Swanson and even Rankin isn't for me.

Edited by stumigoo

On 22/11/2019 at 12:41, Dee Man said:

I hate to burst your bubble, but the SFA will be picking up the tab for Shankland's wages until we deem him fit - so his injury has probably postponed our administration by another few weeks!

7 hours ago, Dens83 said:

I we all get blinded by Robertson now instead of how he was at us. He was a good player but I think Dixon was better. 

Gtf, Robertson was exceptional from day one. Dixon was very good in his first spell and would be among the subs (certainly ahead of Douglas, who was mostly shite) but he's nowhere near Robertson.

Of that exceptional team with Gauld, Ciftci, GMS and Armstrong, Robertson was the most important. No hindsight required.

1 hour ago, Pull My Strings said:

Gtf, Robertson was exceptional from day one. Dixon was very good in his first spell and would be among the subs (certainly ahead of Douglas, who was mostly shite) but he's nowhere near Robertson.

Of that exceptional team with Gauld, Ciftci, GMS and Armstrong, Robertson was the most important. No hindsight required.

Agree with the first sentence but not the second.  Gauld was an incredible talent and I’m both surprised and saddened by his lack of progress, I really thought he would become a sensation.

14 hours ago, stumigoo said:

Let's get back on track.

Link

No group will ever agree on which players should be included, but although Dods and Rankin were important cogs at one point, I wouldn't go along with putting them in a team of the decade. Pleased you never jumped in with Shankland, and a good explanation as to why that is the case. Fojut would get Dods' place for me, and Gauld for Rankin. Watson was, to me, a better right back than Dillon, but on going injury issues let him down. Dillon at his peak, I've no issue with that.

The left back position, Dixon or Robertson? Unlike many United fans I felt Douglas got a hard time, and it was a pleasure to have such options for much of the decade. But I'd go with Robertson, if using the argument of his best contribution, as I am with Dillon.

Finally, we've been attributed with an interest in Kieron Bowie (Raith Rovers) in reports, not long turned 17. 

3 hours ago, Pull My Strings said:

While I'd agree he was behind Robertson, who surprised everyone as to how good he was and how he progressed while at United, I do think that is unfair on Douglas. Yes he had mistakes (Kilie) but he wasn't mostly shite, he suffered from "not Paul Dixon" syndrome. Dixon had been that good for us anyone replacing him would have been view d with suspicion.

Robertson was truly frightening as to how good he was, especially considering where he came from. I don't mean that in any disrespectful way to Queen's but when Celtic let him go for the typical Scottish football reason of being "too small", I'm amazed no other clubs higher up took him on.  To be fair Queen's Park do have a good reputation for youth.