Dundee United 2019/2020

1 hour ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

There could well be bids in for Shankland, United can’t stop that from happening.

However the financial benefits of promotion to the club will outweigh any fee that a club will pay for a Scottish Championship player.

1 minute ago, Dee Man said:

Nothing unbelievable in that. 

We found out exactly what we were made of. 

I admire your honesty good Sir.  While many of us Arabs were surprised at your no-show on Friday it was not nearly much as a shock as you and your fellow Dees must have felt.

On 10/11/2019 at 17:55, stumigoo said:

I think binning Sow completely needs to happen.

His contract is up at the end of the season, so I'm not convinced that it makes sense to pay him off - if we have Clark, Appere and Shankland I would be happy enough to have Sow as a 4th choice/severe injury back-up.  If we can find a club daft enough to take on his wages then yes, get rid - aside from the Inverness play-off game at home he has been pretty much useless.  The penalty in the play-off final shootout was pitiful.  

On 10/11/2019 at 20:07, ArabianKnight said:

If we were to sign another centre mid it would need to be someone who was at the very least an upgrade on Stanton and Kjng. 

Declan Glass back in January means that we will have Butcher, Harkes, Stanton, King and Glass - that should be more than enough at this level.  Personally I would like King to replace Glass at Cove for the rest of the season - King has played less than 60 games in his career, which really is not enough for a 24 year old.

There could well be bids in for Shankland, United can’t stop that from happening.
However the financial benefits of promotion to the club will outweigh any fee that a club will pay for a Scottish Championship player.

Unless he has some sort of buyout clause - like Nelms did with Hemmings in his first spell. [emoji53]

If he doesn't then it would take something special for United to let him go - can't see it being one of the ugly sisters but there are a lot of Championship clubs who could splash the money - for them a £2-3 million bid is relatively peanuts.

As you say - promotion (or rather lack of it) could be far more costly.

4 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Unless he has some sort of buyout clause - like Nelms did with Hemmings in his first spell. emoji53.png

If he doesn't then it would take something special for United to let him go - can't see it being one of the ugly sisters but there are a lot of Championship clubs who could splash the money - for them a £2-3 million bid is relatively peanuts.

As you say - promotion (or rather lack of it) could be far more costly.

This exactly.

My thoughts are this.  Shankland could have moved last January but stayed with Ayr, and got a decent move in the summer.

At current rate of scoring, he is on course for a recorded breaking goals tally this season if he stays at United and stays fit, (50 is not an unrealistic number at the moment given his record to date).

He is being well paid here, and is loved here, and is now getting called up to the International squad for the first time on his career. If he keeps playing first team football and scoring goals he will be in with every chance of featuring in a potentially historic Scotland team that is in the playoffs for a major tourney in the spring.

Coupled with the fact we won’t want to sell him until the summer, (we are putting too many long term plans into pla de just now to take such a short sighted course of action as to grab the cash in January and risk promotions which is everything) a bit of patience and keeping doing what he is doing, better options than second string striker at Forrest will be available to him.

Hopefully his head is as screwed on this January as it was last, and he doesn’t let all this talk affect his game.

34 minutes ago, MacArab said:

This exactly.

My thoughts are this.  Shankland could have moved last January but stayed with Ayr, and got a decent move in the summer.

At current rate of scoring, he is on course for a recorded breaking goals tally this season if he stays at United and stays fit, (50 is not an unrealistic number at the moment given his record to date).

He is being well paid here, and is loved here, and is now getting called up to the International squad for the first time on his career. If he keeps playing first team football and scoring goals he will be in with every chance of featuring in a potentially historic Scotland team that is in the playoffs for a major tourney in the spring.

Coupled with the fact we won’t want to sell him until the summer, (we are putting too many long term plans into pla de just now to take such a short sighted course of action as to grab the cash in January and risk promotions which is everything) a bit of patience and keeping doing what he is doing, better options than second string striker at Forrest will be available to him.

Hopefully his head is as screwed on this January as it was last, and he doesn’t let all this talk affect his game.

I would add I could actually see him staying if we get promoted. 

20 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

I would add I could actually see him staying if we get promoted. 

I think that may be wishful thinking tbh.

That being said , if we get promoted, and he chooses to move in the summer, I will happily drive him to whichever club he wishes to go to, thanking him all the way there for the part he played.

8 minutes ago, MacArab said:

That being said , if we get promoted, and he chooses to move in the summer, I will happily drive him to whichever club he wishes to go to, thanking him all the way there for the part he played.

Aye wouldn't grudge him a move at all. He'll be a cult hero for United if he helps us get promoted. 

I reckon he'll go for a decent 7 figure fee in the summer and no one that supports DUFC could complain at that tbf. 

This exactly.

Good post sir.

2 hours ago, MacArab said:

If you’re offering to drive players I’ll chip in some petrol money for King and Sow.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

If you’re offering to drive players I’ll chip in some petrol money for King and Sow.

Hmmmm.. A more appropriate plan for those 2 would just to put them in a cannon and fire them into the Tay sadly.