Dundee United 2019/2020

On 31/10/2019 at 12:05, RandomGuy. said:

The most alarming thing there is him expecting to make a profit.

Tbf the rumours around Pawlett signing had him at around £4k a week.

Seeking a profit in Scottish football is absolute lunacy; and it has been the big red-flag since Ogren came in.

Given that our wages are coming in at £4,000,000, I doubt even £4,000 a week would make Pawlett the highest paid player at the club...

On 31/10/2019 at 15:42, PauloPerth said:

I do think the governing body should control it better with stricter limits on wages/ turnover and punishing those going way beyond.

I would love to see a salary cap like they have in the States, but that is just never going to happen - ultimately Dundee United is a business with a board of directors and shareholders, and it will be run as they see fit. 

The only hope is that the board and the fans are on the same page - at the moment I don't think there are any Arabs who want to see us continue to overpay to anywhere near the current extent.  I would rather be relegated in the knowledge that the club will still be going in 50 years, than jeopardise that and be promoted.

On 01/11/2019 at 17:45, Dee Man said:

Flip it around and ask yourself if any Utd fans would've been happy to see Dundee die when we were having financial problems.

Few Arabs truly wanted Dundee to die.  We laughed, goaded and even enjoyed your trauma, but without the derby the game in Dundee would be far, far worse off.

20 hours ago, stumigoo said:

EIUZ6wvXYAE1OVX.png

Thistle, Dundee and United should all be ashamed of this.

2 hours ago, arab_joe said:

Seeking a profit in Scottish football is absolute lunacy; and it has been the big red-flag since Ogren came in.

When Ogren first arrived I was at a meeting with him and the team that helped broker the deal. He was asked directly about how a footballing business can make a profit in Scottish football and he passed the answering of the question over to the financial advisor who worked with Revolution Sports, the agency behind many of our decisions and developments since Ogren arrived. The guy said that the view "you can't make money in Scotland" is a myth and he used evidence from some clubs in the Premiership.

According to this guy, every team in the top-flight (apart from Rangers) is in a position of either turning a profit or has a model that is profitable (if you take out one-off investment figures in things like facilities and factor in the next TV deal). He also said that the new TV deal is a huge part of that and if a club is run properly then money is there to be made. Asghar then spoke about the model of selling young talent as an add-on to that.

Edited by stumigoo

4 hours ago, stumigoo said:

When Ogren first arrived I was at a meeting with him and the team that helped broker the deal. He was asked directly about how a footballing business can make a profit in Scottish football and he passed the answering of the question over to the financial advisor who worked with Revolution Sports, the agency behind many of our decisions and developments since Ogren arrived. The guy said that the view "you can't make money in Scotland" is a myth and he used evidence from some clubs in the Premiership.

According to this guy, every team in the top-flight (apart from Rangers) is in a position of either turning a profit or has a model that is profitable (if you take out one-off investment figures in things like facilities and factor in the next TV deal). He also said that the new TV deal is a huge part of that and if a club is run properly then money is there to be made. Asghar then spoke about the model of selling young talent as an add-on to that.

A financial advisor that thinks investing in a Scottish football club is likely to be profitable?!  That guy needs his licence revoked!

Whilst I don't disagree that every Premiership club has the potential to be run at a profit, we have just finished a stint of 20 years in the top league and I would guess that we were in profit on only a (small) handful of those seasons.  I see no reason to think that would change if we were to get back up.

My concern is basically that Ogren seems a bit surprised that DUFC is a money pit and surprised that his first-year losses are so sizeable.  If he had competent advisors or had undertaken proper due diligence on the club, this would be no surprise.  Let's hope he is a very patient (and rich) man.  Oh, and that he doesn't do a Brooks Mileson and, well, die.

Was wondering if there's any prospect of the game v QoS being postponed due to Utd having international call ups?

Shankland probably will get called up, and maybe one or two others for U18 / U21s (think Banks and Mochrie have maybe called up before?).

I remember The Rangers having players called up for internationals and postpoing their Challenge Cup games (in fact they've done it this year come to think of it) - is there a minimum amount of call ups before you can look to postpone a game?

1 minute ago, Steven W said:

Was wondering if there's any prospect of the game v QoS being postponed due to Utd having international call ups?

Shankland probably will get called up, and maybe one or two others for U18 / U21s (think Banks and Mochrie have maybe called up before?).

I remember The Rangers having players called up for internationals and postpoing their Challenge Cup games (in fact they've done it this year come to think of it) - is there a minimum amount of call ups before you can look to postpone a game?

I think it's three, though I'm taking that info from football manager.

4 hours ago, Accent-Unknown said:

I think it's three, though I'm taking that info from football manager.

Need 3 and I believe they must all be in your first team squad , so unless your U18s have been used in squad this season they don’t count , I believe your game will go ahead without Shankland  

On 03/11/2019 at 20:43, MeadowArab said:

What is Ogren's net worth?

I don't think he/the club has ever hinted at his net worth; and the internet doesn't have much information beyond the fact that he inherited an oil and gas business that he sold towards the end of 2018.  So your guess is as good as mine.  But if we are expecting him to cover multi-million pound losses on an annual basis then we had better hope that his folks' oil and gas business was a good one...

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/dundee-united/788539/profile-who-is-dundee-uniteds-new-american-owner-mark-ogren/

15 hours ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

What's everyone thinking about right now?

Scott Banks' imminent departure, and the sad reality that we will only pocket £200,000 for a player with huge potential.  If only we had offered him one of the contracts that we dished out to Osman Sow, Fraser Aird or Fraser Fyvie that we have had to pay up...

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/dundee-united/1013854/dundee-united-resign-themselves-to-losing-scott-banks-after-he-turns-down-new-contract-offer/

Scott Banks' imminent departure, and the sad reality that we will only pocket £200,000 for a player with huge potential.  If only we had offered him one of the contracts that we dished out to Osman Sow, Fraser Aird or Fraser Fyvie that we have had to pay up...
https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/dundee-united/1013854/dundee-united-resign-themselves-to-losing-scott-banks-after-he-turns-down-new-contract-offer/

£200k is still a decent return for someone who came good in league 2 last year and had a handful of starts for the first team- one of which was an absolutely shite display in a home pumping against East Fife.

We realistically can’t justify offering any more of those types of contracts to anyone in this league, let alone an unproven 18 year old.

No real ill will towards the guy- I can’t say I wouldn’t do the same if I was an 18 year old linked with an EPL club- but I won’t lose any sleep over it and the club have done what they can, let’s move on.

1 hour ago, arab_joe said:

I don't think he/the club has ever hinted at his net worth; and the internet doesn't have much information beyond the fact that he inherited an oil and gas business that he sold towards the end of 2018.  So your guess is as good as mine.  But if we are expecting him to cover multi-million pound losses on an annual basis then we had better hope that his folks' oil and gas business was a good one...

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/dundee-united/788539/profile-who-is-dundee-uniteds-new-american-owner-mark-ogren/

I think it’s very sad to be honest.

If I understand it correctly, Banks is represented by the same genious who advised Scott Allan so well, sending him to England after 1 or 2 decent first team games.

Again only my opinion, and I know he was instrumental in Clyde’s success last season, but I would reckon a good stepping stone for Banks between Clyde and Palace, would be to try to get some first team games with us. (See Andy Robertson)

If he can’t get a game with us just now, what chance does he have of breaking into the Palace first team any time in the near future. I think that there is a fair chance he will get lost down there sadly, as Allan did, and it is my view that it is for this reason that Allan has never really lived up to his early potential.

Edited by MacArab

The club is correct in not acceding to Banks’ demands.  It will be sad if this derails a potentially successful career, but if it does it may persuade others that a more progressive route to a top league is often the best way to go.

I wonder how much of this decision is down to the agent rather than the lad or his family.