Dundee United 2019/2020

1 hour ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

..........nor too many good players.

You are of course correct.  We certainly have a lower rate of success than many other clubs in Scotland, but I would argue that we are far from the worst.  However, I genuinely don't know if any other Scottish clubs have a more consistently poor record of hiring managers - just read this absolute car crash since Jim McLean left Tannadice in 1993:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Dundee_United_F.C._managers

Or, for better insight:

https://www.arabarchive.co.uk/managers.php

Edited by arab_joe
Adding Arab Archive link

5 hours ago, arab_joe said:

Nobody would argue with you that some of the performances this season have been poor.  But here we are, sat at the top of league going into November, so it seems that every other team in the league is having worse performances more frequently than we are.  The form and performances this past month have been terrible, but I see no reason why Neilson can't turn it around.

And, as I have stated on this thread and last season's thread on dozens of occasions, why would any right-thinking Arab believe that we would replace Neilson with someone better!?  We are Dundee United, as a rule of thumb we do not hire good managers...

I wasn't using that as a stick to beat Neilson with, I was mention that as a TLDR post criticising what to me looks like an attitude problem within the playing squad. Whether it affects the coaching staff I don't know and hope it doesn't. It does seem to be behind the scenes as as far as I can see has been there the whole time in this division.

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/dundee-united-s-wage-to-turnover-ratio-is-a-mammoth-133-per-cent-1-5033371/amp?__twitter_impression=true

133% is a seriously worrying figure, I get he's doing nothing wrong but this is the kind of level the SPFL shouldn't allow anything could happen and it would probably result in United going to the wall. Seems a lot for very little results.

6 minutes ago, Adam101 said:

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/dundee-united-s-wage-to-turnover-ratio-is-a-mammoth-133-per-cent-1-5033371/amp?__twitter_impression=true

133% is a seriously worrying figure, I get he's doing nothing wrong but this is the kind of level the SPFL shouldn't allow anything could happen and it would probably result in United going to the wall. Seems a lot for very little results.

Yeah it's concerning actually. Only offset I have to it is the amount of players we had last season. Alongside paying off a lot and lack of income from sales 

We've reduced the numbers but I reckon United are probably spending a similar amount now anyway. 

It's not a sustainable position, promotion needed desperately this yesr

10 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

Yeah it's concerning actually. Only offset I have to it is the amount of players we had last season. Alongside paying off a lot and lack of income from sales 

We've reduced the numbers but I reckon United are probably spending a similar amount now anyway. 

It's not a sustainable position, promotion needed desperately this yesr

Did you have to pay off a lot of players, guys like Fraser Aird clearly didn't have clubs to go to so would have taken a fair chunk of their salary to leave. The most baffling thing is to spend that money on good players but then reward the manager for not achieving anything with the group yet and in fact now the expenditure is clear I don't think it's much of a reach to say he's currently unsuccessful with this group. 

Your owner is pumping more money in that you get for winning the premiership, I just don't know how he will ever make a profit in the short to medium term, you would have to be getting to European group stages to make that kind of money. That would be my worry, hopefully it all works out in the end.

2 minutes ago, Adam101 said:

Did you have to pay off a lot of players, guys like Fraser Aird clearly didn't have clubs to go to so would have taken a fair chunk of their salary to leave. The most baffling thing is to spend that money on good players but then reward the manager for not achieving anything with the group yet and in fact now the expenditure is clear I don't think it's much of a reach to say he's currently unsuccessful with this group. 

Your owner is pumping more money in that you get for winning the premiership, I just don't know how he will ever make a profit in the short to medium term, you would have to be getting to European group stages to make that kind of money. That would be my worry, hopefully it all works out in the end.

Afaik they are setting the club up so there's additional revenue streams coming in outside of football. I.e the bar/social club that will be situated across the road. And they've bought back/leased back other assets which will bring in more money. On top of that all merchandising has been brought back in house too. Season tickets seen a rise this year as well. 

But aye in the short term its playing a dangerous game, hopefully not one that sees us get screwed over. 

3 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

Afaik they are setting the club up so there's additional revenue streams coming in outside of football. I.e the bar/social club that will be situated across the road. And they've bought back/leased back other assets which will bring in more money. On top of that all merchandising has been brought back in house too. Season tickets seen a rise this year as well. 

But aye in the short term its playing a dangerous game, hopefully not one that sees us get screwed over. 

Season tickets will be the main way to make cash but you would need to virtually sell out the entire stadium to your most expensive season ticket (£390 to watch premiership football at Tannadice in season 19/20) Which of course won't happen, the social club is a nice idea and will keep money flowing but won't be enough to off set more than a couple of players wages.

Prize money, attendance and sponsorship is the way to spin big amounts of money and when the guy bought the club he said he wanted to make a profit, well these 2 years are ruled out so that's £8 million in the red that he needs to recoup, it's a dangerous game and like you say hopefully the club don't get their fingers burnt.

Think that percentage figure is even higher than Dunfermline's ludicrous numbers during our laughable spending in the old SPL.

We were - rightly - mocked for overspending so lavishly and only getting 4th place and a Cup Final. United are struggling to beat part-time sides and getting ridden by an Allan Johnston team.

Fucking yikes.

Edited by Poet of the Macabre

I'm reading your Yank has pumped in more money in one year than ours have in four. 

I'm also reading that these losses don't factor in the Shankland outlay.

I'm also reading that United are shite and fucked. 

6 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

I'm reading your Yank has pumped in more money in one year than ours have in four. 

I'm also reading that these losses don't factor in the Shankland outlay.

I'm also reading that United are shite and fucked. 

I think you should stop reading.

2 hours ago, Adam101 said:

Shankland’s wages not included either 😂

1 hour ago, ArabianKnight said:

Wait wait wait. 

ADMINNNNNNNN FRIDAYYYYYYYY

Probably not this Friday or even the Friday after but definitely in the foreseeable future if that utterly insane 'business model' keeps up. 

The quote about being far, far worse than Sevco's overspending has to set alarm bells ringing. 

7 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

Probably not this Friday or even the Friday after but definitely in the foreseeable future if that utterly insane 'business model' keeps up. 

The quote about being far, far worse than Sevco's overspending has to set alarm bells ringing. 

Heard Fraser Wishart (head of the players union) hinting on the radio that the debts are getting covered by loans taken in the club’s name and not the owner’s. Shame.