Dundee United 2019/2020

8 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Cant believe that you lot are looking like getting away with the Alloa game then this still top.

Think promotion must be written in the stars. Mental.

Nah, ICT are catching up. They went up ahead of an over-spending Dundee in 2010. I fear they'll do the same in 2020 to us; assuming we even get 2nd.

20 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Looks like there’s no promotion condition in Neilson’s new contract.  That’s disappointing.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50076262

But hardly surprising - Neilson held all of the cards in that negotiation.  I just hope we have a relatively inexpensive buy-out clause, because regardless of what Asghar says Neilson will be out of the door if we do not get promoted this season.

16 hours ago, Dirty Arab 83 said:

I think it's insurance against the Jambo's grabbing him ...... At least now we get a compensation fee.

When was the last (only?) time that any of our managers were lured away from Tannadice?  Levein to Scotland?  Even the most irrational Arab can see that the chances of us paying out to terminate a manager's contract are far higher than us ever receiving any compensation...

Edited by arab_joe
Spelling

After the last two results (and performances), that c**t Neilson should be out of a job. Id invite any arab on here to come and serve up an argument against that. I dont mean to harp on but i cannot reiterate it enough, we will not get promoted with that clown in charge

2 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Why was there any negotiation though? Asghar has shown a terrible  lack of judgement in this affair, albeit with other peoples' money.

The ownership of the club, I would assume, was concerned that he would be tempted to go elsewhere and that that would derail our promotion push.  Like many others have said on here, although overall Neilson is doing well (i.e. we are top of the league, and relative to previous campaigns that is good...) there are enough concerns with some of his signings, tactics etc. that the renewal of his contract could definitely have waited until next year.

I actually thought that it expiring next summer was perfect for us.

1 minute ago, Twinkle said:

After the last two results (and performances), that c**t Neilson should be out of a job. Id invite any arab on here to come and serve up an argument against that.

We are top of the league...

2 hours ago, Twinkle said:

After the last two results (and performances), that c**t Neilson should be out of a job. Id invite any arab on here to come and serve up an argument against that. I dont mean to harp on but i cannot reiterate it enough, we will not get promoted with that clown in charge

I’ve said the same thing for a long time but thought I would have to eat my words after the start of the season.  Looks like I won’t.

Some of us on here were scoffed at for saying the performances, even in winning games, was sub par.  Again we’ve been proven right; play badly and you’ll eventually pay the price.

We are only top of the table due to the awful results of other teams who are entitled to such result as they’ve not had the resources handed to them that Neilson’s had.

Robbie Neilson is not making the most of what he has available, playing Watson yesterday and playing Smith out of position, being an example.

My thoughts on current situation.

We have a major attitude problem at the club in the playing squad.

Reynolds alluded to it on Radio Scotland when discussing Shankland's call up. He stated that there had been issues with players thinking that the Championship was easy. This was in connection with previous seasons and not this season. I' d disagree and would argue that that is STILL the case.

So far this season East Fife at home, Arbroath at home (first 87minutes), Alloa away, and now QOTS away and we are only in October, whereby we have taken to the field looking like we just have to turn up.

Said before that the "back where we belong", "we're a Premiership club" etc. Is nonsense and detrimental to our aims. Riles up opposition. We are a Championship club and exactly where we belong, until we prove otherwise by winning promotion.

We have continually in our time signed players who have played at a "higher" level. Is this affecting us as players think its easier down here? 

We seem to take to the field and play within ourselves and when it doesn't go to plan they struggle to up the pace. There is no desire to fight. All anyone has to do is get straight at us, hard, close us down and we are beaten.  When we take to the field and start at 100% we usually do well.

Attitude problem is as clear as day and mentally weak.

What I'd like to know is what the due diligence that is taken to determine the attitudes of the signings we are making, as again, its as clear as day its not been correct, or carried out properly!

Really don't know what to say. 

After the first few matches of the season when United were pummelling teams with direct play and two up front to then the last few matches of utterly insipid performances and results has been a really head melter. 

Even accounting for injuries there's other formations which would have much better suited those fit and allowed United to maintain a direct and attacking style. 

Unfortunately Neilson reverted to type and went defensive with some seriously dubious line up choices. 

If Robson is still out next match... 

Seigrist 

Watson Brown Reynolds 

L. Smith.  Harkes Butcher Sporle

McMullan Shankland Appere 

Would be a much better balance using the players fit. Knowing Neilson though he'd try that and it would end up a a 5-3-2 rather than a 3-4-3.

17 hours ago, Twinkle said:

Terrific argument and one which theres no coming back from. What happens when we arent top any more?

Thank you.

In all seriousness, no self-respecting football club can justify sacking a manager whilst they are top of the league.  The circumstances are irrelevant; football is a results-driven business and sacking a manager at a point when he is achieving his goal is a laughable proposition, and would undoubtedly put-off any decent incoming manager from taking the role. 

17 hours ago, Twinkle said:
17 hours ago, Skint said:
Then there won't be an argument.

If maw had baws she'd be year da.

So the minute we arent top, he gets the bullet? Perfect

If we were not top of the league (or if we were bottom of the league... or if we had been relegated last season... or any number of hypotheticals) then yes, it might be worthwhile debating the merits of sacking Neilson.  But the reality is that we are where we are: top of the league.  That has rarely been achievable under any of the other managers that we have had recently.

15 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

We are only top of the table due to the awful results of other teams who are entitled to such result as they’ve not had the resources handed to them that Neilson’s had.

You're right, it has nothing to do with us accumulating more points than any other team in this division... 

15 hours ago, Tannadeechee said:

So far this season East Fife at home, Arbroath at home (first 87minutes), Alloa away, and now QOTS away and we are only in October, whereby we have taken to the field looking like we just have to turn up.

Nobody would argue with you that some of the performances this season have been poor.  But here we are, sat at the top of league going into November, so it seems that every other team in the league is having worse performances more frequently than we are.  The form and performances this past month have been terrible, but I see no reason why Neilson can't turn it around.

And, as I have stated on this thread and last season's thread on dozens of occasions, why would any right-thinking Arab believe that we would replace Neilson with someone better!?  We are Dundee United, as a rule of thumb we do not hire good managers...