Dundee United 2019/2020

On 03/10/2019 at 17:29, stewartyftd1 said:

Good Shankland has came out and stated he is happy at United and wants to be here for the foreseeable. I see him being a united player until summer 2021 tbh.

You're not seriously saying that you actually believe this means anything - what would you expect him to say?   

21 hours ago, stewartyftd1 said:

I think he would be up for testing himself in the premier league with United then making a move.

I would love to think that would be the case, but ultimately money will talk. Pretty sure were he move somewhere in the summer he'd be doubling his wage

You're not seriously saying that you actually believe this means anything - what would you expect him to say?   

I think he genuinely wants to be a success at United first. We may sell in the summer but as I’ve pointed out he will know himself he will get a bigger move by having a successful season in the top flight.

3 minutes ago, stewartyftd1 said:

I think he genuinely wants to be a success at United first. We may sell in the summer but as I’ve pointed out he will know himself he will get a bigger move by having a successful season in the top flight.

You say that like it's a given that he will have a successful season in the top division - he may be operating at his level now and a poor season in the top flight will scupper any chance of a big move.   He might decide to take the money and run if/when a good offer comes along.  

If we get promotion this season and a decent fee for Shankland at the end of it we can have no complaints. Especially if he chose to go down south.

Ideally we get back to the premiership and get a season out of him there but, ultimately, money talks.

I'm sure most people are of a similar mind in that if we get promoted this season off the back of Shankland's goals we'll be content to wave him on his way with a cheery smile and a relative fortune banked to find a replacement. If he gets us up and stays for another season then all the better.

After the Arbroath result the general consensus was that if we play badly we will drop points.  We got away with it against Arbroath but not last night.

There is plenty of football to play and we shouldn’t overreact, but lessons have to be learnt.

Once again last night Shankland was largely isolated and got no service.  McMullan was trying but it wasn’t working for him; Pawlett barely looked like he was trying and should have been the first player off.

It was disheartening to see Alloa press is hard for much of the game and us being unable/unwilling to reciprocate.

Nowhere near as depressed about that game as the Arbroath one and similar games against Alloa,Dumbarton amd Brechin in recent years.

We got into good areas and at least tried to play.

Appere made a difference. No idea what he ever did to get dropped.

Its still not good enough though Shankland CAN make chances for himself when isolated v 2 centre halfs but its a bloody hard ask to do it every week.

Still processing just how shite that was last night. Money has been invested in the team but somehow an injury to one full back has left us playing an uncomfortable looking right back on the left and a pish centre half on the right. Reynolds looked all over the shop for much of that game and the number of gaps that opened up as a result of simple long balls is something that needs addressed.

Stanton was Stanton, too often he just doesn't look up to it. Harkes had one of those games where absolutely everything he touched went wrong, I can accept a boy having one of they nights but the amount of times he was just wandering about the pitch and letting Alloa players run past him isn't on. Again, doesn't look too good for Neilson that an injury to one player leaves us looking that weak in the middle. Sporle was poor. McMullan never shirks but didn't really happen for him last night, although we seem to be becoming over reliant on him to open up defences and we need another midfielder to step up and take a bit of responsibility.

Rapidly losing patience with Pawlett, he's a fanny and doesn't look up for the fight when things aren't going well. Appere looked good when he came on and his introduction up front coincided with our best spell in the match. Both surprising and totally unsurprising that Neilson quickly shunted him out to the left to get Pawlett back in the middle.

Pretty confident that 19 points a quarter will win the league so if we go to Palmerston in a couple of weeks and get something we have to consider that job done but there are great big b*****d warning signs flashing after that game.

Think a big issue last night was how unbalanced the team was, Watson was often caught further forward than McMullan and basically was a man down cause his attacking play is shite. 

Benji

Smith Brown Reynolds Sporle

Harkes.    King

McMullan.                        Chalmers

Appere.        Shankland 

Is the only way to line up if Robson and Butcher is out for the forseeable.