Dundee United 2019/2020

5 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Enough of this tactical analysis - anyone else think our record against Ayr is set to improve, while we will now become Partick's bitches?

I won’t be upset If we win our next three against Ayr whilst losing our next three to Partick.

Well, maybe a little upset.

My view - 

1. The football under Neilson, for the most part, has been pretty poor but we are stronger than in previous years and there have been really bright moments during his early tenure and again at the start of this season.

2. The football under Neilson gives me more confidence than the football we played under McKinnon and Laszlo (although our player quality is now better).

3. We need to get up by any means necessary.

4. Winning by playing poorly does catch up with you at some point, it is okay to do it for a few games here and there but you always run the risk of slipping into poor form and struggling to change that.

5. If we play poorly every week I think we at least now have more in our squad than in previous years to still be successful (and the league as a whole doesn't have the one or two really strong teams it has had in the past). 

6. If/When we do go up and we are in a position to focus more on a 'better' style then I will be pressing more for a brand of football that is a bit easier on the eye. For now, I am happy to win ugly BUT as long as we can do that regularly. I still have the fear that we can't, but that is in part down to being so used to failure in recent seasons).

My gut instinct is that Neilson should be able to get us promoted but that he might not be the man to re-astablish us in the Premiership. I do like him though and I want him to succeed.

Edit - Bring back 442 though, it was working and we didn't need to change.

Edited by stumigoo

It seems to be a thing on this thread that a manager who wins games is beyond criticism and that just isn't the case. He's not getting "hounded". He's getting criticised. Quite rightly by the looks of it as well. The "shut up and accept it" attitude from some doesn't help anybody, and is exactly the sort of attitude that, when shit DOES go wrong, will see a manager outstay their welcome.

We'd have certainly lost the Arbroath game last year, but that's probably more to do with having Lawrence Shankland than anything else. As much as United have 5 wins from 6, the Arbroath performance looked abysmal from what I saw. The manager is certainly not beyond criticism, although some have been a bit over the top. 

Shankland may end up single handedly dragging us out of this league. If we lose his services for any length of time this season, we are in severe trouble.

15 minutes ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

We'd have certainly lost the Arbroath game last year, but that's probably more to do with having Lawrence Shankland than anything else. As much as United have 5 wins from 6, the Arbroath performance looked abysmal from what I saw. The manager is certainly not beyond criticism, although some have been a bit over the top. 

Shankland may end up single handedly dragging us out of this league. If we lose his services for any length of time this season, we are in severe trouble.

I agree with you about Shankland being key to the Arbroath result.  If we’d got service to him earlier in the game I don’t Neilson would be under the microscope as he has been.

2 hours ago, Andrew Wells said:

It seems to be a thing on this thread that a manager who wins games is beyond criticism and that just isn't the case. He's not getting "hounded". He's getting criticised.

Indeed.

Managers can come in for criticism even when they win, and conversley managers could be backed by the supporters when they're losing - see Chelsea.

I don't want Neilson sacked - I think he'll probably get us promoted - but yes, I'm greedy, I also want to enjoy watching my team.

Sorry if that offends any of you.

7 hours ago, RogerBoli said:

Neilsons league record so far

P 34 W 21 D 6 L 7 pts 69

Compared to the last 10 seasons it's basically league winning form over 2 games short of a full seasons worth. Also always worth remembering a good portion of that was played with the shite left over from previous eras. I've been as frustrated as others with some of the football we've played under Neilson but seems pretty clear that up till now he's doing whats required to win this division.

United.png

Edited by coppola

Every teams fans seem to have said the same when playing us. Well in the last 4 games anyway where we've changed our system, alot of passes without going anywhere and struggling to break us down.

DC even said making you guys have to play long balls and frustrating your crowd was the tactic.

Think we just seem to be doing well at that at the moment.