Dundee United 2019/2020

3 hours ago, Steven W said:

Whats the deal with Troy Brown? Out the squad completely on Saturday and noticed he wasn't even involved in the Open Day yesterday.

Afte seeing him at Ayr, I can't say I'm exactly bothered, but is this yet another crap Neislon signing and ditched already?

Is his wife not giving birth or had just done so, in which case it is understandable that he had been given leave from league and open day duties.

In this case being with wife and newly born takes far higher importance than footballing matters.

4 hours ago, ArabianKnight said:

There's a lot of Arabs out there, especially those on fucking Arabs Anon who only started supporting the team around about 2008/2009 who have deluded expectations of the team and the heights to which it can reach. 

Rather than taking the few seasons where we enjoyed relative success near the top of the prem and winning a cup as a return to former glories they expect us to perform like that in the championship. 

Not me season 1994/95 was the first season I started going and 95/96 the first season ticket year.

Seen enough horrible seasons in my time going to really appreciate the good times and am realistic enough to now there will be those bad seasons as well.

I will still be going regardless of which the club is going through, only going in good times is unacceptable. 

4 minutes ago, CaspianChris said:

Is his wife not giving birth or had just done so, in which case it is understandable that he had been given leave from league and open day duties.

In this case being with wife and newly born takes far higher importance than footballing matters.

Yep, absolutely. Somehow that news passed me by at the weekend

38 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

Aye but we are older and wiser to the world. These are young lads that haven't felt pain like we have 😂

NB. I started supporting United in 94/95 season 😭

Same season for me.

Second last game of that season sitting in the home end at Pittodrie was the most horrible point 😢😢😢😢😢.

Staying absolutely still and emotionless as sheep fans celebrated their 2 goals was the worst feeling.

The realism of our current position is we are a FT team with a premier league budget who can do it against teams that go toe to toe with us but no plan B for more organised, and worst of all, harder working teams.
Im happy to take a 50 quid charity bet, arbitrated upon by any 3 arabs on here, that we dont play worse than that and win at any point again this season.

I would take this bet but as I dont go to United games it would be a disadvantage.
Do you believe Neilson will get you promoted ? Fairly easy question

5 wins from 6.

This time last year we had 11 points, sitting 3rd.

Yet fans still not happy. A strange lot.

23 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

I suppose people have different criteria for defining success.

It is a long time until any club can deem this season a success or failure - I was just commenting on the hyperbole of Arabs, which has been really visible this last year or two.  I have been watching United for long enough to know that we will always have ups and downs and it is daft to get too high on the ups or too low on the downs...

21 hours ago, ArabFC said:

It's not the results. We won yesterday. 5 wins out of 6 games is goddamn beautiful, but still I have little faith in the manager.

Poor results got us relegated and good results will get us promoted - I don't really see what more Neilson could be doing to increase your faith.

19 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Neilson is a one trick pony who seems unwilling or unable to learn from victory or defeat.

A one trick pony?  Unwilling to learn?  He has 5 wins from 6 this season...

17 hours ago, dregs 83 said:

I think the levels of criticism are way over the top.

We were a total shambles when he took over, and the whole club was in total disarray. 

The speed at which negativity re-appears is beginning to get tiresome.

Agree with all of your post, and these points in particular. 

15 hours ago, dregs 83 said:

I just don’t think the people prepared to call for his head or branding him a crap manager are being sensible or seeing the bigger picture.

Arabs are quick to forget!

15 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

I also think that any competent manager that’s had the financial backing that Neilson’s had should be achieving what’s he’s achieved.

I am glad that we can agree that Neilson is achieving what he should achieve... is a lot, lot more than can be said about Laszlo, McKinnon, Mixu... and pretty much every manager since Peter Houston!

4 hours ago, ArabianKnight said:

Wee bit of realism required given our current position. 

Agreed.  See:

1 hour ago, RogerBoli said:

This time last year we had 11 points, sitting 3rd.

11 minutes ago, arab_joe said:

Agreed.  See:

I was referring more to our overall standing being in the championship. 

I'm not accepting of our current league as being appropriate or alright but expectation management of some of the fans out there thinking we should be obliterating teams 3/4 nil is a bit much. 

Aye we've got good players and a decent manager but as others have pointed out we need a plan B for stuffy teams lining up against us. 

20 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

I was referring more to our overall standing being in the championship. 

I'm not accepting of our current league as being appropriate or alright but expectation management of some of the fans out there thinking we should be obliterating teams 3/4 nil is a bit much. 

Aye we've got good players and a decent manager but as others have pointed out we need a plan B for stuffy teams lining up against us. 

I’m more concerned that the plan A we had in the first league game, and which was very successful, was binned for no logical reason.

1 hour ago, G_Man1985 said:

Yet fans still not happy. A strange lot.

I believe Neilson will get United promoted provided he isn't hounded out by the supporters who are, as you say, a strange lot.

3 hours ago, CaspianChris said:

It shows a worrying lack of commitment from Brown imo. 

3 hours ago, G_Man1985 said:

I would take this bet but as I dont go to United games it would be a disadvantage.

Im 52% Yes 48% No we will win the league.

In the event that we do im apportioning the credit 35% board 40% the good players 15% Neilson 5% bad players 10% me.

Winning games and getting into the top league seems the Shakespearean be all and end all for most fans, and that's fair enough.

For me, the dreadful playing style of the past several years seemed like it might be getting displaced in periods of the first few league matches, but the team and manager reverted to type in the last two matches. Perhaps this is the source of some fan satisfaction. I go to the games to see a winning team of course, but also enjoy being entertained. 

2 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Winning games and getting into the top league seems the Shakespearean be all and end all for most fans, and that's fair enough.

For me, the dreadful playing style of the past several years seemed like it might be getting displaced in periods of the first few league matches, but the team and manager reverted to type in the last two matches. Perhaps this is the source of some fan satisfaction. I go to the games to see a winning team of course, but also enjoy being entertained

This is the key factor that is splitting fans imo.

Some will tolerate eye bleedingly bad football and some won't.

I have found the vast majority of Neilsons time here awful to watch. Yes, points win prizes but it's not entertaining.

The way he set up against Arbroath was unbelievable. 1 striker at home to a part time team who were in the league below us last season. (No disrespect intended to Arbroath who could argue they were worth a point at the very least) If we get promoted would anyone expect Celtic to play slowly across the back and play1 isolated forward against us next season at Celtic Park?

They probably could do and still beat us 8-0 anyway but you get the point.

16 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

This is the key factor that is splitting fans imo.

Some will tolerate eye bleedingly bad football and some won't.

Yup.

I'm one of those weirdos in the latter camp.

For the record, I'm not actually advocating that we sack Neilson, but... meh!

Edited by ArabFC
meh

35 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

Yup.

I'm one of those weirdos in the latter camp.

For the record, I'm not actually advocating that we sack Neilson, but... meh!

I will apologise in advance for being repetitious.

First game, Pawlett unavailable, we go 4-4-2 and roll over ICT.  Next game, Pawlett back, we squeak past Partick and Pawlett scores so Neilson feels justified in his obsession with him.

Beyond that we set out a formation that justifies Pawlett’s inclusion even though that is not the formation we should be playing.

We cannot play an effective 4-4-2 with Pawlett in the team so the choice is drop Pawlett or go 4-2-3-1.  It’s a no-brainier for everyone bar Neilson.