Dundee United 2019/2020

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

Don’t know if you saw Boris Johnson’s press conference at the end of the G7, but asking Funsters about their new stadium is like asking Johnson about proroguing Parliament. 

I'm not sure who would be more evasive during said questioning but I'd bet you'd get a more concise answer out of Boris.

And a more coherent one too.

As amusing as all of this cut and thrust banter is... i’d Like to make a few abservations about the season so far, in order to bring this Friday’s game into perspective. (If I may), as some of the really basic facts seem to have escaped certain people’s attention (I mean Dees here)

Our lovely neighbours are harbouring hope that our humbling East Fife Experience (embarrassing as it was) would be a sign of things to come for the league season ahead.  (Conveniently ignoring their 2 goalless draws against lower league i opposition in the same tourney). This has proven not to be the case, as will be detailed below.

In the league both teams have played 3 games.

United have won all 3, (2 away from home) , scoring 8 goals in the process, all from open play,

Dundee have drawn 2 and won 1, (2 of which have been at home. 2 of these goals have been pens)

United destroyed ICT at home, and whilst the P&B population pointed out that this was more down to poor defending than our attacking prowess, Dundee FC failed to breach this poor defence, despite the plethora of dynamic attacking options they have at their disposal.

United went to EEP, and strolled it, and could have won by a significant toy higher margin that we did. Dundee FC scraped a drawn with the help of some kind decisions from match officials.

The Dees are talking about their solid defence, and this will see them through. DUFC have thus far conceded 2 goals across their 3 games, and DFC 3.

DFC scraped a win against Ayr (at home), again being on the right side of a penalty decision which even JMcP described as a stonewaller.

To be fair, I am using some of the comedy gold  I am reading on the Dark Blues Forum, as inspiration for this post, and  agree that this is probably not a good idea, however, sometimes you just need to state the facts. (As did Sarto so well previously).

Anyhoo..... All of the above means absolutely f**k all in terms of Friday’s match, as absolutely anything can happen in a Derby.

All I am saying is that I think that us Arabs will be a bit happier going into this than you Dees, regardless on the outcome over 90 minutes.

2 minutes ago, MacArab said:

As amusing as all of this cut and thrust banter is... i’d Like to make a few abservations about the season so far, in order to bring this Friday’s game into perspective. (If I may), as some of the really basic facts seem to have escaped certain people’s attention (I mean Dees here)

Our lovely neighbours are harbouring hope that our humbling East Fife Experience (embarrassing as it was) would be a sign of things to come for the league season ahead.  (Conveniently ignoring their 2 goalless draws against lower league i opposition in the same tourney). This has proven not to be the case, as will be detailed below.

United have won all 3, (2 away from home) , scoring 8 goals in the process, all from open play,

Dundee have drawn 2 and won 1, (2 of which have been at home. 2 of these goals have been pens)

United destroyed ICT at home, and whilst the P&B population pointed out that this was more down to poor defending than our attacking prowess, Dundee FC failed to breach this poor defence, despite the plethora of dynamic attacking options they have at their disposal.

United went to EEP, and strolled it, and could have won by a significant toy higher margin that we did. Dundee FC scraped a drawn with the help of some kind decisions from match officials.

The Dees are talking about their solid defence, and this will see them through. DUFC have thus far conceded 2 goals across their 3 games, and DFC 3.

DFC scraped a win against Ayr (at home), again being on the right side of a penalty decision which even JMcP described as a stonewaller.

To be fair, I am using some of the comedy gold  I am reading on the Dark Blues Forum, as inspiration for this post, and  agree that this is probably not a good idea, however, sometimes you just need to state the facts. (As did Sarto so well previously).

Anyhoo..... All of the above means absolutely f**k all in terms of Friday’s match, as absolutely anything can happen in a Derby.

All I am saying is that I think that us Arabs will be a bit happier going into this than you Dees, regardless on the outcome over 90 minutes.

I agree with all of that, yet I came away from the East Fife game is thinking that we had sunk to a new low.  The turnaround between that performance and the ICT one could not have been greater and we need to keep playing at that level.

25 minutes ago, coppola said:

Dundee fans get a wee bitty defensive when it comes to Caniggia eh? 

They 21 games clearly made a real impact. 

Surprised you didn't snap his leg when he was dancing through your midfield. Suppose he got lucky.

53 minutes ago, RossDee01 said:

A DAB and a Tory? Deary me.

If you have come to the conclusion that I'm a Tory from that remark then you really are a bit dim.

Keep trying though. You'll eventually get something right. Throw enough shit and all that. 

16 minutes ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Surprised you didn't snap his leg when he was dancing through your midfield. Suppose he got lucky.

Mind that game at Dens when Bonetti brought himsel on, tried to snap Craig Easton, injured himself and had to go off? 

Good laugh man. 

Yes m8 you’re big favourites for this match. No arguments here [emoji20]

1 hour ago, coppola said:

Mind that game at Dens when Bonetti brought himsel on, tried to snap Craig Easton, injured himself and had to go off? 

Good laugh man. 

Or that time where McPake tried to injure Rankin and, well, more or less ended his own career.

52 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Or that time where McPake tried to injure Rankin and, well, more or less ended his own career.

I'll be disappointed if anyone rises to this particularly low quality bait. 

11 hours ago, MacArab said:

Correct.  I have attended a number of derbies where we have been "favourites" and yet found a way to lose.  It is the Dundee United way... 

11 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

I agree with all of that, yet I came away from the East Fife game is thinking that we had sunk to a new low.  The turnaround between that performance and the ICT one could not have been greater and we need to keep playing at that level.

Really!?  I can think of some far darker times as an Arab!

The end of last season saw an over-reaction to us losing to St Mirren (the calls for Neilson to be sacked after 28 league games were, in my eyes, embarrassing); and the start of this season has seen an over-reaction to 3 wins (we have played well, but the season is a lot, lot longer than 3 games).

I'm already nervous for Friday.

2 hours ago, arab_joe said:

Correct.  I have attended a number of derbies where we have been "favourites" and yet found a way to lose.  It is the Dundee United way... 

The end of last season saw an over-reaction to us losing to St Mirren (the calls for Neilson to be sacked after 28 league games were, in my eyes, embarrassing); and the start of this season has seen an over-reaction to 3 wins (we have played well, but the season is a lot, lot longer than 3 games).

A sane and level-headed arab - this shit will never catch on. 

4 hours ago, arab_joe said:

Yes I thought losing 2-0 to East Fife was as bad as I have seen it in a long, long time.

I’m also not going to apologise about being enthused by the season so far; particularly when I see what Shankland brings to the team and when it looks like Neilson has accepted that two up front is the way to go.

You are right to be nervous about the derby however; it can easily go either way.