Dundee United 2019/2020

6 hours ago, ArabianKnight said:

Another aside from Friday night. Anyone else notice Harkes has been hitting the gym more / bulked up a bit. Seemed to be a bit more focused in his defensive duties too. 

This can only be a good thing.

I like Harkes, he's obviously a bit raw, but there's definitely a good player in there

47 minutes ago, stewartyftd1 said:

Nobody any news of any signings? Reading on another forum there is a possibility of Jamie Murphy on loan.

That's someone putting 2+2 together and coming up with 15. Utterly baseless from what I can see.

I think we might see another centre half come in when/if Frans leaves but don't think we need much more than that. Any other forwards coming in would just get in the way of Banks, Clark, Appere, Chalmers, Cammy Smith, Sow and Pawlett, any one of whom should be able to do a job and some of whom could become really important if given a chance.

24 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

That's someone putting 2+2 together and coming up with 15. Utterly baseless from what I can see.

I think we might see another centre half come in when/if Frans leaves but don't think we need much more than that. Any other forwards coming in would just get in the way of Banks, Clark, Appere, Chalmers, Cammy Smith, Sow and Pawlett, any one of whom should be able to do a job and some of whom could become really important if given a chance.

For the first time in a long time I can't see any real issues with squad depth other than at CH potentially. Frans and Watson arent great but are decent backup for this level. Maybe if I was being picky I'd say bring in a backup right back as Watson , again, isn't ideal but has proven he can do a decent job there.

We have loads of attacking options and enough decent midfielders for cover.

We have Mehmet for the goalie position when Benji dips in form (I'm not a massive Benji fan but he's been OK so far and hopefully will have the deckchair out most weekends) so that's not too bad either.

I hope the young lads really do make the step up this season, looks like we have a good crop coming through.

53 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

For the first time in a long time I can't see any real issues with squad depth other than at CH potentially. Frans and Watson arent great but are decent backup for this level. Maybe if I was being picky I'd say bring in a backup right back as Watson , again, isn't ideal but has proven he can do a decent job there.

We have loads of attacking options and enough decent midfielders for cover.

We have Mehmet for the goalie position when Benji dips in form (I'm not a massive Benji fan but he's been OK so far and hopefully will have the deckchair out most weekends) so that's not too bad either.

I hope the young lads really do make the step up this season, looks like we have a good crop coming through.

I still have concern about cover for Butcher.  If King can play that role then fine, but neither Stanton or Harkes are suited to the job that Butcher is asked to do.

I’d also prefer if we didn’t have to play Watson in central defence.

12 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I still have concern about cover for Butcher.  If King can play that role then fine, but neither Stanton or Harkes are suited to the job that Butcher is asked to do.

I’d also prefer if we didn’t have to play Watson in central defence.

King is apparently that guy. I know nothing of him but I'd imagine we should be able to cope for a game or two with him with Harkes or Stanton.

Watson wont play before Frans at centre half. No chance. And if Frans goes then, as mentioned, we would probably bring someone else in.

1 hour ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Watson wont play before Frans at centre half. No chance. And if Frans goes then, as mentioned, we would probably bring someone else in.

Watson did play ahead of Frans in the one game where Connolly wasn't available this season so I'd say he's first choice cover at centre half currently. Frans looks to be completely out of the picture.

I'd like a centre half in as competition / cover for Connolly as I can't say I'm all that keen on having Watson as first choice back up. Prefer Frans but as mentioned he looks to be at best 4th choice right now.

I also wouldn't say no to an out and out left winger coming in but it's certainly not a necessity given the number of players we have who can play there if asked.

On 10/08/2019 at 17:11, Accent-Unknown said:

With the Dundee Derby back this season, PureFitbaw.com asked me to do a retrospective on my favourite game in the history of matches between the two teams.

There was really only one option.

https://purefitbaw.com/2019/08/09/dundee-derby-retrospective-the-gary-mackay-steven-show/

16286887055_c8eacaff78_o-1-e1563306533174.jpg.3beceab4a2442462cfa827eb97f7e6de.jpg

Footballers on Raya: Instagram babes use new app to hook ...

I thought it was pretty telling how he'd been at the club for a month or two yet he was being introduced to his team mates before kick off and all of them and the coaching staff looked horrified. 
If you're signing an emergency 3rd choice, you don't sign someone from abroad IMO, that's fucking nuts. We'd have still been well beaten but someone like Grant Adam would have been much better.

How on earth did this happen? I didn't realise he only met his team mates shortly before kickoff. What's the full story and when was he officially signed?

On 13/08/2019 at 02:25, MeadowArab said:
On 11/08/2019 at 07:34, harry94 said:

I thought it was pretty telling how he'd been at the club for a month or two yet he was being introduced to his team mates before kick off and all of them and the coaching staff looked horrified. 
If you're signing an emergency 3rd choice, you don't sign someone from abroad IMO, that's fucking nuts. We'd have still been well beaten but someone like Grant Adam would have been much better.

How on earth did this happen? I didn't realise he only met his team mates shortly before kickoff. What's the full story and when was he officially signed?

He was signed in October 2014 and was on the bench for most of December. I read somewhere while I was doing research that he had played in a few reserve matches but Dundee don't have records of reserve matches that far back on their site. Should've checked twitter in hindsight as just searching his name brought up some lineups that he started.

https://twitter.com/search?q="Schenk" (from%3ADundeefc) until%3A2015-01-01 since%3A2014-10-01&src=typed_query

Edited by Accent-Unknown