Dundee United 2019/2020

I'm fairly sure that us playing a fringe side and cowing to Forfar has knocked you lads out aswell (Forfar, Morton, Hamilton and Ayr all have better 2nd placed finishes).

Sorry.

Spoiler

1710368-36205763-2560-1440.jpg?w=1050

8 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I'm fairly sure that us playing a fringe side and cowing to Forfar has knocked you lads out aswell (Forfar, Morton, Hamilton and Ayr all have better 2nd placed finishes).

Sorry.

Hide contents

Cool story. Your wee dig of a post with Tommy’s cheeky wee smile would’ve worked better if you realised Yenited finished 3rd in their group. 

43 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Sorry.

Reveal hidden contents

Exhibiting  a very poor grasp of the facts here. Funny picture though.

Cracking effort from over 400 Utd fans going down there the day. Hope a good day and safe trip hame for all involved.

1 minute ago, coppola said:

Exhibiting  a very poor grasp of the facts here. Funny picture though.

Cracking effort from over 400 Utd fans going down there the day. Hope a good day and safe trip hame for all involved.

Boys leaving the Rock at 4am on a bus to go there. Absolute heid cases, the things you do for a football team! 

I mean, it's worth mentioning that when I posted East Fife were on still on 7pts, I had no idea they were in a penalty shoot out.

6 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I mean, it's worth mentioning that when I posted East Fife were on still on 7pts, I had no idea they were in a penalty shoot out.

You really are thick as f**k

So. . . . Pre season and Betfred now out the way, where we at?

Quite clearly, we're not the finished article and there are glaringly obvious issues, but what do we need? What, within reason would you change? Do we go with what we have?

For me, there are still major worries at centre back positions, not overly confident with either Connolly or Reynolds, especially Connolly.

Midfield is woefully short on technical ability. We don't have anyone who can unlock a defence. Needs a massive improvement.

Up front, we have Shankland, who should be superb depending on the service.

Mcmullan is ok, but final ball is awful.

Guys like Harkes don't get my juices flowing.Butcher is ok at what he does, and I suppose we need a player like him.

Haven't seen King so can't comment.

The one shining light for me could be Liam Smith, think this boy could a gem for us.

Banks and Appere look like they might get a chance, and that's brilliant. Appere was head and shoulders above everyone while he was on loan at Broughty, his physique, strength, and pace should be an asset. Banks looks technically great too.

Overall, I think we're not too bad, but that depends on how Neilson sets us up. If we go for it, we could pish the league, if we don't and set up like we have been, we can be so far out of it come xmas that we needn't turn up in Jan.

Huge season.

Let's attack.

2 hours ago, Jock Tamson said:

Quite clearly, we're not the finished article and there are glaringly obvious issues, but what do we need? What, within reason would you change? Do we go with what we have?

For me, there are still major worries at centre back positions, not overly confident with either Connolly or Reynolds, especially Connolly.

Midfield is woefully short on technical ability. We don't have anyone who can unlock a defence. Needs a massive improvement.

Guys like Harkes don't get my juices flowing.Butcher is ok at what he does, and I suppose we need a player like him.

The one shining light for me could be Liam Smith, think this boy could a gem for us.

Banks and Appere look like they might get a chance, and that's brilliant. Appere was head and shoulders above everyone while he was on loan at Broughty, his physique, strength, and pace should be an asset. Banks looks technically great too.

Overall, I think we're not too bad, but that depends on how Neilson sets us up. If we go for it, we could pish the league, if we don't and set up like we have been, we can be so far out of it come xmas that we needn't turn up in Jan.

Huge season.

Let's attack.

Agree with most of that apart from McMullan. It’s pointless having a predatory striker like Shankland when you have winger that is totally incapable of getting a crowd to him, ever. This is the peak of McMullan’s level and no more.

Maybe they are of Irish origin and are based somewhere near Dalwhinnie.

It’s a supporters club that leaves from Aberdeen & picks up in Forfar, Brechin etc on the way down.

The thicko Don that posted it has forgotten the A90 Reds SC.

88F580D1-BA34-48A9-9FF6-0E6DA7DE7D59-6651-0000038DA636F3E8.jpg

they’re not the brightest.

25 minutes ago, PartyFears2 said:

and also, any Dee kicking about a United fans page at 6am on a Sunday really could do with a hobby

I understand he likes to spend his time being punched.

He also lives in Australia, so he's really kicking about at 6pm.

12 hours ago, Jock Tamson said:

Huge season.

Let's attack.

We wont attack. As much as I want to see us go for teams, I really can't see Neilson go balls out and dominate teams. Doesn't seem to be in his nature.

Since he's come in we've had some of the worst results and performances I've ever seen. In 30 odd years I can't remember it being this boring, predictable and lackluster.

On paper (yup, that old chestnut!) We should be looking to end up top of the pile.

To a mostly settled squad from last season, we've added the most prolific striker from last season, two new full backs, one of which had a very good season for a strong Ayr team and one or two others we've been told are good additions. Then the likes of Apperre and Banks should be eased in and add a bit of freshness and dynamism hopefully. 

The problem will be if the manager is still setting up defensively, trying not to lose rather than going for the win. Of course the team will have to keep it tight and not give anything away but there's having a good defensive unit and there's being overly defensive. 

In my unqualified opinion, I don't think we need two sitting midfielders in this league against anyone. Not at home anyway. That's been my biggest problem with this 4231 formation that he's mostly used. I don't see why he wont chuck one of them into midfield higher up and press opposition teams harder. Win the ball up the pitch and counter them higher up instead of inviting teams into us.

When all fit, I'd love to see something like 

Seig

Smith Connoly Reynolds Sporle

King  Butcher Harkes

Mcmullan   Shankland   Pawlett

Good old fashioned 433 becoming 451 when tracking back. Pace on the wings, good finisher in the middle and the 3 centre midfielders can win the ball and move it on. Play direct and quick passing.

I know it wont be to everyone's taste but I honestly think that line up, maybe with a tweak or two, would do very well in this league. Make the opposition worry about us rather than us worrying about how they play.