Dundee United 2019/2020

Apart from that statement being a mad ramble, it reads like "We understand the fans criticism but can we do it at the Q&A and not on social media please?"

It seems to be more on the defensive than agreeing with fans concerns. 

In any case, releasing any sort of statement after an unexpected defeat is a bit of a minter. I doubt even Sevco, the statement kings, would release a statement after a bad result. 

6 minutes ago, Jock Tamson said:
10 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:
Ah right. In what way does the statement demean Neilson?

Suppose it's down to how you interpret it. I'm reading between the lines, and in my opinion, the statement is a massive dig at Neilson.

In what way is it a massive dig? The only part which could refer to Neilson, even obliquely, is where he says that the players and staff all know that the performance on Tuesday was unacceptable. 

In what way is it a massive dig? The only part which could refer to Neilson, even obliquely, is where he says that the players and staff all know that the performance on Tuesday was unacceptable. 
Again, it's how I'm reading it.

Why did he feel the need to tweet this? And to tweet it after 1 bad result? If he felt the need to say something, a statement should have been released the on the website, it would have been more professional. But he's tweeted it, knowing fine that he'll receive hundreds of replies.

Every single time someone posts something on social media, they do so for a reaction.

10 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

Whether it's intended as a "dig" at Neilson or not, the Sporting Director publicly calling a result & performance "unacceptable" before the season proper has even started puts pressure on the manager and the players. Personally I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. There's been a lot of talk in the last few months about bringing people with the right character and mental strength into the club, if we've actually done that then there's a good chance this type of swift kick up the hole will elicit a positive reaction. 

Whether it's intended as a "dig" at Neilson or not, the Sporting Director publicly calling a result & performance "unacceptable" before the season proper has even started puts pressure on the manager and the players. Personally I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. There's been a lot of talk in the last few months about bringing people with the right character and mental strength into the club, if we've actually done that then there's a good chance this type of swift kick up the hole will elicit a positive reaction. 

Whatever way you cut it the EF result 'at home' was a minter, pre proper season or not, and the fact that a club official felt the need to make a statement proves he is hurting too surely ?? Or would we rather go back to the previous regimes attitude of saying it's really just a pre season friendly and not a real cup ? I'm all for officials wearing their heart on their sleeves it proves that it's not just a bad business result when things go wrong.

If you're on Twitter, have a read of the replies to each of his 9 tweets. The vast majority (if not them all) have a go at Neilson, either directly or indirectly by way of speaking about attacking/style/negativity/entertainment/tactics/approach/one up front/desire etc etc etc.

He knew fine he'd get that response and by doing so, he's thrown Neilson right under a bus imo.

20 minutes ago, Jock Tamson said:

If you're on Twitter, have a read of the replies to each of his 9 tweets. The vast majority (if not them all) have a go at Neilson, either directly or indirectly by way of speaking about attacking/style/negativity/entertainment/tactics/approach/one up front/desire etc etc etc.

He knew fine he'd get that response and by doing so, he's thrown Neilson right under a bus imo.

This is tinfoil hat stuff.

25 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Agreeing with Jock Tamson here, if a statement was deemed necessary by the Sporting Director, it should have been released on the official website.

To do it on a personal Twitter account covered by the 'my own views' proviso would suggest a personal agenda.

What personal agenda do you think it suggests and why is it necessary to seek conspiracy behind every statement? Asghar is Neilson's boss. If he wanted to get rid of him then there are much more straightforward and constructive ways he could go about it.

Its not one bad result. We were bang average Jan to March, TBF hit a bit of form at the close of the season before not turning up to a playoff final.

The league cup isnt pre season. The W1 D1 L1 against East Fife, Brechin and Dumbarton was pre season.

A decent result against Hearts, a shite performance against Stenhousemuir and a comfortable win over Cowdenbeath arent enough for me to write off Tuesday as an aberration.

The results are one thing.  Thats before you get into money and wages blown on players he doesnt play.

Its not one bad result. We were bang average Jan to March, TBF hit a bit of form at the close of the season before not turning up to a playoff final.
The league cup isnt pre season. The W1 D1 L1 against East Fife, Brechin and Dumbarton was pre season.
A decent result against Hearts, a shite performance against Stenhousemuir and a comfortable win over Cowdenbeath arent enough for me to write off Tuesday as an aberration.
The results are one thing.  Thats before you get into money and wages blown on players he doesnt play.
I know that, it's piss poor to watch, it's laboured and it's boring, but most of all,it's ineffective results wise.

I'm planted firmly on the fence when it comes to Neilson, mainly because I don't think we can just keep binning managers. I'm hoping he now realises that we simply must hit the ground running next week meaning he'll take the shackles off.

If he doesn't, there's only one way this'll end.

I was surprised to see it - the golden rule in any organisation is not to do your dirty washing in public - he's just done that - crazy IMHO.

38 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

On the subject of fan patience. There isnt any. All the goodwill at the club has been thoroughly used up.

Im afraid thats tough shit for the new regime.

This is true. Fans will turn out and back the team given the right encouragement but patience for the likes of Tuesday is pretty much non existent at this point. Won't take many more showings like that to lose Neilson his job. 

I would say about the new regime, I definitely don't see them being scared to act if they feel they need to. Can't see Neilson getting as many chances as McKinnon and Lazio were given. 

55 minutes ago, Jock Tamson said:

I know that, it's piss poor to watch, it's laboured and it's boring, but most of all,it's ineffective results wise.

I'm planted firmly on the fence when it comes to Neilson, mainly because I don't think we can just keep binning managers. I'm hoping he now realises that we simply must hit the ground running next week meaning he'll take the shackles off.

If he doesn't, there's only one way this'll end.

Same. I dont want to chop and change managers every 6 months. I just have no confidence whatever that Neilson knows what needs to be done or can do it.

Ill say what i said last season. For the second time in my life United finished second in a league. And yet it was turgid shite from start to finish. I cant think of a single highlight or great performance.

We used to finish 4th or 5th in the early 2010s but i would look forward to going to every game.

12 hours ago, OzzyArab92 said:

This. None of this would be happening if we had gone out and put 3/4 past this part time team.

Tbh it's not even the fact we lost to a part-time that's causing so much angst and unrest. It's undeniably embarrassing for any full time team to lose to a part time team, but it happens. It's the degree to which we were so comfortably outplayed and beaten on Tuesday by a team with a fraction of our resources.

We've become very familiar with that type of United performance over these past four years. It suggests that despite the good noises the club are making regarding behind the scenes progress, we're still to turn a corner on the field. The money we've spent since the new owners came in, and the fact Dundee are down competing with us this season, means our fanbase is generally now particularly alarmed about the likelihood of repeating the screw ups of the past 3 promotion attempts.

Edited by captainkev