Dundee United 2019/2020

5 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Think that's a horrific statement to a one off result. You'll have many more shite results this season whether you scoosh the league or not. For the sporting director to come out and issue a 'statement' on Twitter screams amateur-ish to me and of someone that will struggle with criticism.

Honestly don't think it's wise for Asghar to even have a twitter account. He's likely had his mentions filled with the most reactionary element of our support for the last two days.

2 hours ago, stumigoo said:

On a personal level I don’t buy into that this is “the same as before” as the marked changes in the club have increased tenfold and whilst I know this won’t appease everyone we will strive to make sure you have a club you can be proud of."

Whit?

1 hour ago, Accent-Unknown said:

Honestly don't think it's wise for Asghar to even have a twitter account. He's likely had his mentions filled with the most reactionary element of our support for the last two days.

Agreed. Let’s go back to having a wall of silence from the previous regime. I preferred being kept in the dark 365 days a year. :lol:

Our Sporting Director has taken to Twitter...
"I have allowed 48 hours to pass and have read the negative comments on what was an admittedly poor result on Tuesday night. It is important that the support understand that the players and staff know that this was unacceptable. Likewise, I believe it is important that the support understand the level of work that is put in by staff and players on a daily basis and know that they know how results like Tuesday night can affect the support.

We are working to create a ‘United’ culture throughout this club. For it to be successful, we want this to extend to the support, who are the lifeblood of this club. While players and staff are not immune to criticism, I believe much of this can be given in a transparent way. We had planned to hold a Q&A session - open to all supporters - early in the season with myself, the Head Coach, two Assistant Head Coaches, the team captain. The main aim of this event is to foster the growth of transparency and belief amongst the fans in the team that we have.

In the wake of the criticism directed at the team following Tuesday night’s defeat, I believe this is all the more important. As supporters, we love the passion and emotion that you show. However, we need that passion behind the team - not against it. For this reason, we will be announcing a date for our Q&A imminently, and I truly hope that the support take this opportunity to listen to their club, and give us the opportunity to listen to you.

During Mark J. Ogren’s tenure, we have shown the desire to listen to the support, and make positive changes to the club that have been suggested by the people who know Dundee United FC best. This season, we are all looking for the same result. With a shared vision and understanding of what we are trying to do, we believe we can unite to ensure all of our aims for this season are achieved.

On a personal level I don’t buy into that this is “the same as before” as the marked changes in the club have increased tenfold and whilst I know this won’t appease everyone we will strive to make sure you have a club you can be proud of."

So it’s the fans fault? The Q and A should be interesting....

Just a poor result?

How about abject performance, too? Against a team of part time guys who were at work before that game.

One of many abject performances like that under Neilson which has a bunch of fans starting to really worry that he's yet another plonker in a long line of plonkers and itll be manager merry go round in November again.

Also, if that's unacceptable, what happens the next time we get papped like that again? Because we will.

Will we get another statement saying the same thing? Will Robbie be sacked? Will they give him more money to buy players he won't play? By saying that, Ashgar has kind of put the heat under RN now too, intentionally or not.

The reason fans are getting so angry is that its been utterly shite for 4 years. A new regime comes in and its still just as bad, at times even worse. Even though they've ploughed millions in behind the scenes, 0the football is still rotten. There has been little sign that things will change - yes its still early days but after last season I'd expect these pre season / cup games would be used by the manager to show the fans he's going for it this season. 

The manager has been backed again. Hes got a big squad with players who should be hammering East Fife. No disrespect intended to EF by the way. But if we're full time, paying big money to players, coaches and the like, that should be an utter rarity that fans could write off, grudgingly of course! But it isnt a rarity. Its regularly the case we are garbage and thats another performance thats worrying.

Not entirely sure how to feel about that. Trying to be more open and engaging with the fans is a good thing but I'm no sure the club want to get into a situation where they're responding every time c***s lose the plot on social media (justified as it was on Tuesday). Also think it turns up the heat on Neilson another wee notch.

Is it not a good thing that the club makes it plain that the managers position is results driven ? Within reason the manager should know his job relies on successfully reflecting the investment by the owners, Neilson's too long in the tooth to think he's safe if UTD fail to come up with the goods this season, or even look as though they are failing early on.......... Six maybe seven weeks into the coming season.

1 minute ago, coppola said:

Into the realms of wild speculation now but, I wouldn't be at all surprised if someone told me Ashgar isn't that keen on Neilson and wanted to get his own man in. 

I assume thats why Mike Martin left Laszlo in charge for so long while knowing the new regime were on the way in.

But Laszlo couldn't be kept any longer and Neilson was probably the safe option at the time.

11 hours ago, stumigoo said:

Our Sporting Director has taken to Twitter...

"I have allowed 48 hours to pass and have read the negative comments on what was an admittedly poor result on Tuesday night. It is important that the support understand that the players and staff know that this was unacceptable. Likewise, I believe it is important that the support understand the level of work that is put in by staff and players on a daily basis and know that they know how results like Tuesday night can affect the support.

We are working to create a ‘United’ culture throughout this club. For it to be successful, we want this to extend to the support, who are the lifeblood of this club. While players and staff are not immune to criticism, I believe much of this can be given in a transparent way. We had planned to hold a Q&A session - open to all supporters - early in the season with myself, the Head Coach, two Assistant Head Coaches, the team captain. The main aim of this event is to foster the growth of transparency and belief amongst the fans in the team that we have.

In the wake of the criticism directed at the team following Tuesday night’s defeat, I believe this is all the more important. As supporters, we love the passion and emotion that you show. However, we need that passion behind the team - not against it. For this reason, we will be announcing a date for our Q&A imminently, and I truly hope that the support take this opportunity to listen to their club, and give us the opportunity to listen to you.

During Mark J. Ogren’s tenure, we have shown the desire to listen to the support, and make positive changes to the club that have been suggested by the people who know Dundee United FC best. This season, we are all looking for the same result. With a shared vision and understanding of what we are trying to do, we believe we can unite to ensure all of our aims for this season are achieved.

Good for him to include the middle initial, would have spent ages trying to work out who it was otherwise.

Is it not a good thing that the club makes it plain that the managers position is results driven ?

Absolutely it is. But is it the right thing to do after 1 bad result ? A bit too knee jerk for me I think.

Don't get me wrong, the performances and style of play would get football stopped, but I'm not sure it was wise for Ashgar to open himself up like that on Twitter so soon, if at all.

Can we expect a similar statement every time we screw up? Or every time the fans take to social media to vent their anger? It's not too professional imo, and it may even make other managers think twice about coming to Utd if they air their dirty laundry in such a public way after a bad result.

Just my opinion.

I may be missing something but which part of the statement are people objecting to? Or is it the fact that the Sporting Director is making a statement at all?

If the statement was released 6/8 weeks into the season, I wouldn't have an issue with it. (Other than it being on Twitter and not the official website.)