Dundee United 2019/2020

7 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

I'd love to see a Cammy Smith and Shankland partnership tbh. Being good friends with each other you would hope that they would click on the field. 

I could live with a 4-2-3-1 if the 3 behind Shankland were Banks, C Smith and McMullan.

Plenty teams play successfully with one up front, imo our biggest issue is not picking the right guys to play in the 3. Assuming McMullan starts I'd love to see us go with any 2 from Banks, Appere and C.Smith. 

28 minutes ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

I could live with a 4-2-3-1 if the 3 behind Shankland were Banks, C Smith and McMullan.

I reckon that would work very well. I've no issue with the actual formation it just needs to be used more effectively with better link up between the players. 

I think Shankland is capable of playing up front on his own but his success (or lack of) is going to depend on what we're trying to do and what we're expecting from him. If we're away to hoof high balls at the guy or look for him to be holding it up 30 - 40 yards from goal I'll probably want to top myself before we reach the end of August. If the attacking 3 get close to him and we're getting him service in and around the box he'll do fine. 

3 hours ago, coppola said:

I think Shankland is capable of playing up front on his own but his success (or lack of) is going to depend on what we're trying to do and what we're expecting from him. If we're away to hoof high balls at the guy or look for him to be holding it up 30 - 40 yards from goal I'll probably want to top myself before we reach the end of August. If the attacking 3 get close to him and we're getting him service in and around the box he'll do fine. 

In other words if Neilson continues to persist with the style of 4-2-3-1 we played last season then it will be ineffective?

2 minutes ago, stumigoo said:

This would be me for Tuesday. Neilson mentioned that Stanton picked up a small injury so he might be rested. I would maybe start Appere but maybe leave that for the other games.

IMG_2600.jpg

I’d be more than happy with that.

19 hours ago, stumigoo said:

This would be me for Tuesday. Neilson mentioned that Stanton picked up a small injury so he might be rested. I would maybe start Appere but maybe leave that for the other games.

IMG_2600.jpg

We should be treating the remaining games as pre-season and rotating accordingly.

Give the kids and fringe players a chance to impress too.

4 hours ago, ArabFC said:

We should be treating the remaining games as pre-season and rotating accordingly.

Give the kids and fringe players a chance to impress too.

Not for me, I would be making sure each game is taken seriously and from the way Neilson is speaking I think that is the plan. We rotated heavily and used different teams last year and were caught out when the league started. I'd be focusing on a core group of 16/17 with the strongest team possible in each fixture.

37 minutes ago, NEFarab said:

My overriding memory from last years group stage was Csaba complaining that you should’ve been allowed to make 5 changes instead of 3, then proceeding to make 1 change in the first game.

Csaba was either delusional, a consummate bullshitter or seriously disturbed.  

I won’t make light of mental health issues but I genuinely believe it was /is one of these three.