Dundee United 2019/2020

One thing that needs changed pronto I think is the commentator on Arabzone. No doubt he is a passionate fan but it’s like pulling teeth at times.

Think he called Shankland Liam when he scored. He just isn’t very good.

The ArabZone team are part of the fabric at Tannadice. The service they provide could be improved but I don’t think the media team is changing anytime soon.

Smith was good, finally found a right back. Young Banks looks a player. Shankland looks like the first proper goalscorer we’ve had since, Billy Dodds? 

Unfortunately Bouhenna looks like a centre half playing in midfield, and Connolly continues to give me the fear. Too early to judge Sporle but, jeez, some debut. Hearts are significantly better than any team we’ll play in the Championship, but hopefully Neilson sees there’s a bit more work to done. 

3 minutes ago, Gibby82 said:

Smith was good, finally found a right back. Young Banks looks a player. Shankland looks like the first proper goalscorer we’ve had since, Billy Dodds? 

Unfortunately Bouhenna looks like a centre half playing in midfield, and Connolly continues to give me the fear. Too early to judge Sporle but, jeez, some debut. Hearts are significantly better than any team we’ll play in the Championship, but hopefully Neilson sees there’s a bit more work to done. 

Bouhenna had an off game but was outstanding in that position in the playoffs so I wouldn’t write him off.

I’m struggling to remember the last time Connolly had a good game.

8 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Bouhenna had an off game but was outstanding in that position in the playoffs so I wouldn’t write him off.

I’m struggling to remember the last time Connolly had a good game.

True, he was pretty good in the play-offs, shows some nice touches and can pass well, but he also could have been sent off in the home leg against St Mirren after some wild tackles, and the same again last night. I’d rather we avoid square pegs this season.

Thought the two poorest players for Utd last night were the centre backs. Granted they were up against a man mountain but both looked cagey. Replace Connolly for someone better then should be ok.

27 minutes ago, Moo said:

Thought the two poorest players for Utd last night were the centre backs. Granted they were up against a man mountain but both looked cagey. Replace Connolly for someone better then should be ok.

Reynolds was OK i thought. Connolly just charges about like an angry Rhino. Garry Kennethesque.

Sporle taking an hammering on here. Personally didn’t think he was that bad and wasn’t helped by a very poor robson.

Can’t believe he still gets a game as he never takes a player on or hits the byline for a cross.

Shankland looked sharp and Smith is the full back we’ve needed for a while.

A decent winger in and another centre back I’ll be happy.

5 minutes ago, OzzyArab92 said:

Sporle taking an hammering on here. Personally didn’t think he was that bad and wasn’t helped by a very poor robson.

Obviously no gonna write the boy off after 45 minutes but I thought every facet of his game looked poor. Think you ken he's struggled when Booth looks a much better option. 

I am glad to get that game out the way last night as now the 3 games that should be won comfortably are up next and win all 3 and I would imagine 10 points will be enough to progress.

While there is certainly room for improvement Hearts are far more formidable opposition than what will be faced week in week out at Championship level and I would imagine the majority of Premiership teams would be happy with a point at Tynecastle. 

I thought young Banks look good when he came on and would like to see  him get more game time in the 3 remaining group games.

I reckon Connolly is a capable defender but he seriously need to screw the heid and stop making rash challenges. He's also guilty of hoofing the ball. 

Plenty of criticism for Sporle but it's the lads first competitive game in a new country and league. He barely speaks English so let's give him a few games to settle before casting judgement on him! 

3 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

I reckon Connolly is a capable defender but he seriously need to screw the heid and stop making rash challenges. He's also guilty of hoofing the ball. 

Plenty of criticism for Sporle but it's the lads first competitive game in a new country and league. He barely speaks English so let's give him a few games to settle before casting judgement on him! 

I don’t think anyone is writing Sporle off; as you say it’s his first competitive game.

Connolly, on the other hand, must show improvement quickly.

My thoughts on last night

We were poor. What I mean by that, is the BetFred is a great leveller, early in the season, teams not fully fit, still getting to know new players, which is why lower league teams get results. We played like we were in the middle of the season and needed to defend. We created a lot of our own problems with poor passing, ponderous play. The same issues we have had last season.

Sporle wasn't great, BUT was starting to look better as half went on. Taken off to avoid a red. Boy hasn't had too much of a break from last season, doesn't speak English yet, and probably not used to the pace yet in terrible weather in a foreign country for the first time. Any one writing him off after 45 minutes competitive football with is needs to back off. We are a great support for writing off players before they have a chance. At least give him a chance.

Shankland took his goal well. Didn't have too much to do though. Not a criticism of him.

Clark, for the live of god Neilson, play him up front, or play Cammy Smith in the no 10.

McMullan was non existent

Stanton, a good cross for the goal, other than that a man down. If he is played in a non attacking role he is useless, too soft.

Connolly? Don't remember him being that bad for Killie. Needs to remember its football not wrestling.

Having said that, we had players just back from injury, having not trained much yet so we have that to look forward to. The defence, for all the criticism only let in one goal. Shankland scored, Appere and Banks looked good, it was only the first competitive game in bad weather in what is still preseason 47 days after our last game. So I'm not too worried. If we play like that against East Fife and Cowdenbeath then that is a different story, but we do need to move the ball quicker rather than to Renoylds to Siegrist to PUNT!

Anyway on to the next game, which I'm sure we'll win.