Dundee United 2019/2020

5 hours ago, Pull My Strings said:

Which suggests that Clark will be on the way out. Out of the three (Sow, May and Clark) I'd rather keep Clark. I think he's been under utilised by Neilson and would be a good foil for Shankland. May probably has the potential to come good but that seems like an unnecessary distraction when you've already got a guy at the club who can be relied upon to make a decent contribution without causing a fuss. If we were to start the season with Shankland, May and Sow then you're looking at integrating three new strikers all at once (granted Sow has been at the club for six months but I don't think anyone would argue that he's anywhere near settled into the team yet).

Clark has the benefit of being easy to shift, I suspect, on the basis that he's a proven player at this level and will be on a modest wage. Which is exactly why I'd rather we kept him.

Nicky would be welcome to join up with his Dad again at QoS, some partnership Clark & Dobbie the clubs top marksmen in a season playing together, one can only dream tho. 

I would really question the wisdom of signing May at this point. He seems to be in a similar position to Sow in that he's had a frustrating couple of years, and there's a big question over whether it's just a severe lack of confidence that's been holding him back, or if prior injuries have had a permanent effect.

If we did sign May and he didn't set the heather alight immediately it wouldn't surprise me to see some fans loudly getting on his back given his frequent ragdolling of us in 2013/14. Frankly,I couldn't be arsed with listening to that/seeing that online.

I'd also be surprised and bemused to see Clark shuffled out in order to make way. As someone else pointed out, the play-off penalty shoot-out showed it's worthwhile having someone reliable on penalties.

At any rate, after the last couple of pages I'm going to get the buckets set aside for Friday. Just in case.

Have heard the signing on fee for Shankland is nothing like the figures mentioned with a quarter of this amount being more accurate. He is rumoured to have a very attractive goals and promotion bonus included with his contract.
So more or less it's all shite and yer the man in the know.
Step forward and take centre stage.

4 hours ago, Pull My Strings said:

According to the internet he got 15 goals from 22 starts in all competitions last season. That's a very decent return for a guy who was in and out of the team.

Edit: 5 of those were penalties apparently. 

In 21 league games he scored  2 pens (1 v Inverness, 1 v QotS), 1 direct free kick ( v Partick) and 5 goals from open play. Not beating around the bush, that is rubbish for someone who played alongside/behind a player that did as much hard work as Safranko. 

4 hours ago, G_Man1985 said:
4 hours ago, NEFarab said:
He’s not really a 15 goal a season striker is he. Remove his pens he got about 6 last season. Utilised properly or not that’s still pretty poor. There’s a reason he’s never had a crack at the top flight.

Why are you removing penalties? He still has to score it.....

Because a good striker has to be able to do more than just score penalties (I await some rancid patter about the playoffs) + we’ve signed another striker he scored multiple penalties last season on top of a barrel load of other goals.

39 minutes ago, skinny arab said:

Have heard the signing on fee for Shankland is nothing like the figures mentioned with a quarter of this amount being more accurate. He is rumoured to have a very attractive goals and promotion bonus included with his contract.

This is what I heard as well.

9 minutes ago, NEFarab said:

In 21 league games he scored  2 pens (1 v Inverness, 1 v QotS), 1 direct free kick ( v Partick) and 5 goals from open play. Not beating around the bush, that is rubbish for someone who played alongside/behind a player that did as much hard work as Safranko. 

If Clark had been playing alongside Safranko in a genuine two your criticism would be justified; but he wasn’t and therefore it isn’t.  

from the mouth of J.Fyffe

£50k signing on fee
£50k when he scores X goals
£50/100k if we get promoted

Because a good striker has to be able to do more than just score penalties (I await some rancid patter about the playoffs) + we’ve signed another striker he scored multiple penalties last season on top of a barrel load of other goals.
Let's take goals off players. Any other goals that dont count ?
If Clark had been playing alongside Safranko in a genuine two your criticism would be justified; but he wasn’t and therefore it isn’t.  
Correct. He seems to be talking shite. Sadly was doing it on the Dundee thread :-(

Just now, Jock Tamson said:
7 minutes ago, Dele said:
Fair to say that its all lies then. 

You don't like Jimmy much I gather. That's a couple of digs you've had at him.

This is the first time I've had a "dig" at him. He's a shyster. 

The other time you're referring to is you claimed he was "seriously loaded", which is exceptionally overegging his worth. 

2 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

If I could pick one striker to poach from United (Including Shankland) it'd probably be Clark. United would be mad to get rid of him.

Having seen them both against ICT 3 times last season up here, I'd much rather Shankland.  And that was with him playing with worse players around him than Clark was.

The other time you're referring to is you claimed he was "seriously loaded", which is exceptionally overegging his worth. 

He’s done / doing well for himself. He’s not ‘seriously loaded’

Almost every local wealthy businessman is a ‘shyster’. You guys idolise the Marrs don’t you?

It's my understanding that he is indeed seriously loaded. But then I suppose it's all relative. Loaded to me may not be loaded to you.

If you know different, fair enough.