Dundee United 2019/2020

My issue with the 3 strikers we have at the moment is that I think all of them are best suited to playing as number 9 types and all of them would be more effective with a partner who'll drop short, run channels etc etc. We don't have that player in the squad right now.

12 minutes ago, coppola said:

My issue with the 3 strikers we have at the moment is that I think all of them are best suited to playing as number 9 types and all of them would be more effective with a partner who'll drop short, run channels etc etc. We don't have that player in the squad right now.

There will be absolutely no excuse for us going into this campaign with a squad that is not balanced.

21 minutes ago, coppola said:

Cammy Smith.... 

Unremarkable first half but our goals have been well taken. Good 1-2 from Stanton and Sow to set up Stanton for a tidy finish when it didn't look like he had the angle on to shoot. Sow did well to hurl himself in for the cross for the second and the third came McMullan reacting quickly at a free kick to send Chalmer to finish tidily.

The trialist has been alright, gotten stuck in and won a few tackles. Both he and Bouhenna have been frequently guilty of sending long cross balls out for throw ins, despite being under little pressure and having other options.

Just now, Thommo90 said:

Any of you guys got an idea what your starting 11 would look like tomorrow against Dumbarton? Young team? Or is your squad big enough to field a no bad side.

Pretty strong. Most of the guys not starting tonight will start tomorrow.

More encouraging 2nd half.

Appere looked promising and was alert enough to leather in the rebound from Connolly's fluffed header off the bar. Smith's goal was a cracking strike. The 6th goal was smart play by Shankland to lay the ball off to Watson rather than scaff at it after missing a couple of chances earlier. 

The trialist (no. 25) is worth another look I reckon. Just needs to work on his long range shots. 

More encouraging 2nd half.
Appere looked promising and was alert enough to leather in the rebound from Connolly's fluffed header off the bar. Smith's goal was a cracking strike. The 6th goal was smart play by Shankland to lay the ball off to Watson rather than scaff at it after missing a couple of chances earlier. 
The trialist (no. 25) is worth another look I reckon. Just needs to work on his long range shots. 
Watched Appere a good few times with Broughty and although the standard obviously isn't the same, he always showed up well. Great physique and strength, brilliant work rate,and has pace to burn.

Would love to see him get another loan deal, but to a Brechin or the likes to see if he can handle another jump up in standard.

Very enjoyable tonight, particularly the second 45 against a poor Brechin team with a bunch of trialists.

Bouhenna, Appere and Banks have played really well in both friendlies so far.  The two full backs played well tonight.

Sow on his own still not working despite 3-0 up at half time.  The formation for most of the second half was more difficult to describe; the whole of the midfield far more attacking.

Shankland was desperate for a goal and it’s a pity he didn’t get one, but got a good reception nonetheless.

26 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Very enjoyable tonight, particularly the second 45 against a poor Brechin team with a bunch of trialists.

Bouhenna, Appere and Banks have played really well in both friendlies so far.  The two full backs played well tonight.

Sow on his own still not working despite 3-0 up at half time.  The formation for most of the second half was more difficult to describe; the whole of the midfield far more attacking.

Shankland was desperate for a goal and it’s a pity he didn’t get one, but got a good reception nonetheless.

Tonight was probably the best I've seen from Sow with us so far. That's not saying much admittedly. He linked up well with Stanton a couple of times, but he's still a bit frustrating to watch just now. 

Aye, Shankland was clearly gagging for a goal. Brechin's keeper pulled out a superb save to keep out his last chance though tbf.

1 hour ago, Jock Tamson said:

Watched Appere a good few times with Broughty and although the standard obviously isn't the same, he always showed up well. Great physique and strength, brilliant work rate,and has pace to burn.

Would love to see him get another loan deal, but to a Brechin or the likes to see if he can handle another jump up in standard.

How long has Appere been with us do you know? I feel like I've seen his name a lot in youth team line ups, but I've seen nothing him before tonight. Was quite impressed with him in that short spell before he made way as part of the mass substitution.

Edited by captainkev

Just now, captainkev said:

Tonight was probably the best I've seen from Sow with us so far. That's not saying much admittedly. He linked up well with Stanton a couple of times, but he's still a bit frustrating to watch just now. 

Aye, Shankland was clearly gagging for a goal. Brechin's keeper pulled out a superb save to from his last chance though tbf.

How long has Appere been with us do you know? I feel like I've seen his name a lot in youth team line ups, but I've seen nothing him before tonight. Was quite impressed with him in that short spell before he made way as part of the mass substitution.

Appere was a standout on the second 45 against East Fife playing in a two with Clark.

Thought Stanton did well tonight though I’d like to see his goal again.

Not sure tbh, think he signed from some boys club in Fife, and also seem to remember he was on trial with Roma as a young lad. Has a lot of qualities.