Dundee United 2019/2020

25 minutes ago, stumigoo said:

I won't get too excited about Shankland because I still think it is unlikely he will end up here (although happy to be proven wrong). It is decent PR for the club if they are open about making an offer. They did something similar with Safranko even though we were never in the running to re-sign him. If the club come out and say "we've put in an offer for _____" it appeases the fans a little and is a win/win. He doesn't sign and it is a case of "well we tried", if he does "great ambition from the board and the club, fantastic piece of business".

It's not a win/win if we end up missing out and sign a Curran/Doolan/Miller level player instead. Then it just looks like the club are playing silly buggers.

It's not a win/win if we end up missing out and sign a Curran/Doolan/Miller level player instead. Then it just looks like the club are playing silly buggers.

I meant more from a PR point of view it is a win/win. Who we end up with if we miss out on Shankland is another matter...

IMG_2499.jpg

3 minutes ago, stumigoo said:

I meant more from a PR point of view it is a win/win. Who we end up with if we miss out on Shankland is another matter...

Yeah., I get that but from a PR point of view it's not a win/win if we end signing some horse's arse instead. If you're going to end up with someone underwhelming then you're better not getting folk's hopes up first.

5 minutes ago, stumigoo said:

IMG_2499.jpg

Incidentally, who is that guy? I presume that's from two years ago but can't think for the life of me who he is?

Incidentally, who is that guy? I presume that's from two years ago but can't think for the life of me who he is?

Patrick N’Koyi.

I see what your saying though. The club have made it public for a PR boost given how quiet it has been. I hope they know what they are doing!

5 minutes ago, stumigoo said:

Patrick N’Koyi.

I see what your saying though. The club have made it public for a PR boost given how quiet it has been. I hope they know what they are doing!

How could I forget Patrick N'Koyi.

Yeah, let's not publicly reveal that we're looking at Shankland and then sign a Patrick N'Koyi.

Serious and genuine question. Is Shankland the sort of striker who will be a good fit for the formation Neilson wants to play?

If you play the 4/2/3/1 again then no, needs someone upfront alongside him, he's useless up front on his own.

37 minutes ago, Dirty Arab 83 said:

Not like you to be so negative Granny.......emoji12.pngemoji106.png

Don’t see anything negative about it.  If we are going to win the league then we need a striker  who will get us 20+ goals this season.

No point bringing in a striker with that track record if he’s played in a formation where he cannot replicate that sort of goals tally.

I’m not saying anything I’ve not said before.  Neilson either has to change the formation to get the best out of the players or bring in players to suit the formation.

@stumigoo saw this on another forum and, to be fair, might be another reason why Ashgar has commented on it, Shanklands agent trying the get a higher profile club speaks to journalist and gives him story. Sun contact United and ask for comment. Sun tell United they are printing story anyway. Ashgar gives comment knowing they'll print what he says allowing a bit of control.

I suppose it does give him a bit of PR for the club as you say showing the fans that we are being serious, also gives Shankland's agent the column inches he was looking for for his client and gets pressure publicly placed in other interested parties.

Either way we all have something to talk about.

Replacing Shankland with Doolan is the football equivalent of replacing a highly on form race horse with an ancient broken down old cart horse [emoji38][emoji38].

Replacing Shankland with literally anyone, barring someone from the OF, is a massive come down.

I’m happy with Doolan though. He’ll be determined to prove a lot of people wrong and brings a lot of experience.