Dundee United 2019/2020

Sunderland won’t be offering less than that. Neither will Portsmouth or any other English team.

For once this is a target that I don’t think Dundee Utd can throw money at. If he signs it’ll not be because of the money.

I know we cant compete with what they offer but a strong financial package coupled with guaranteed football and of course a few close mates already at the club will help our chances.

I know we cant compete with what they offer but a strong financial package coupled with guaranteed football and of course a few close mates already at the club will help our chances.

A player looking to progress his career shouldn’t be signing for a team just because he’s got a few mates that are already there.

7 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

According to Alan Nixon there have been signings made but won’t be announced until the takeover is complete.

He’s away on holiday at the minute anyway so I think he’s already signed for someone.

Good one D'Jaffo, this now has the potential to age well...

8 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

A player looking to progress his career shouldn’t be signing for a team just because he’s got a few mates that are already there.

No but the club can point to the talent its developed there and sold to major clubs in recent years. 

Just now, D'Jaffo said:

He’s got major clubs interested in him just now.

Correct, sorry I should have qualified it further by adding and that can offer a half decent wage, guaranteed to be a starting player most matches and yeah a few close friends at the club already. 

I got told after the play offs he was a target and an offer would be made. I've been at the wind up recently saying he's going to sign but I've went from complete scorn of the possibility to being slightly excited by him possibly signing  

4 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

No but the club can point to the talent its developed there and sold to major clubs in recent years. 

Yeah but they was 5 years or so ago when you were a premiership mainstream club fighting up the top end for Europe. Which you're nowhere near now, you're not even in the top league. Even say you do finally get promoted this season in your first season back in the prem i can't imagine you firing up into the top 6.

I'd seriously doubt we'd be offering anything near £3000 a week. We did that sort of thing once & it all got messy. With bonuses, including promotion bonus be would get a fair whack but I doubt that a player who scores well at league 1 and1st half of Championship last season but failed miserably at Premiership level here would be paid close to that. Would imagine more like £1500 basic perweek but incentive based, so large bonuses for league win etc

Edited by Tannadeechee
Fat fingers

30 minutes ago, Tannadeechee said:

I'd seriously doubt we'd be offering anything near £3000 a week. We did that sort of thing once & it all got messy. With bonuses, including promotion bonus be would get a fair whack but I doubt that a player who scores well at league 1 and1st half of Championship last season but failed miserably at Premiership level here would be paid close to that. Would imagine more like £1500 basic perweek but incentive based, so large bonuses for league win etc

:lol:

5 hours ago, Dele said:

Was there not rumours both Pawlett was on about £3k and Sow was on over that? 

Not sure the exact amounts but we are definitely a step up from our previous budget under Martin and Thompson before him (for the Championship). I think Martin had a £1000-£1500 max wage structure but we are probably over that now for some of our players. Ogren seems to happy, for now, to soak up the financial outlay to get us promoted.

I won't get too excited about Shankland because I still think it is unlikely he will end up here (although happy to be proven wrong). It is decent PR for the club if they are open about making an offer. They did something similar with Safranko even though we were never in the running to re-sign him. If the club come out and say "we've put in an offer for _____" it appeases the fans a little and is a win/win. He doesn't sign and it is a case of "well we tried", if he does "great ambition from the board and the club, fantastic piece of business".

10 hours ago, RawB93 said:

:lol:

Your point? I know it was written while tired but...

I would like to think players would be on an incentive based wage with bonuses for

Winning the league (less for promotion through play off)

Trophies (unlikely but based on round reached)

Win bonus

Goals

So achievements will earn big rewards, not just a large wedge irrespective of effort.

Edited by Tannadeechee

1 minute ago, Tannadeechee said:

Your point? I know it was written while tired but...

I would lime to think players would be on an incentive based wage with bonuses for

Winning the league (less for promotion through play off)

Trophies (unlikely but based on round reached)

Win bonus

Goals

So achievements will earn big rewards, not just a large wedge irrespective of effort.

Mike Martin tried to implement this type of structure whilst he was here. Solid basic wage with very good bonuses for doing well.