Dundee United 2019/2020

51 minutes ago, stumigoo said:

I think it is likely that Siegrist will start the season as number one so it might that either Josh Donaldson steps on to the bench or we get another cheap loan in for the season as cover. We will probably see one or two of the youngsters step into contention, potentially Scott Banks who received rave reviews whilst at Clyde (he can play anywhere behind the striker).

A striker, a midfielder and a winger will do me. Hopefully by the 12th of July (Hearts) we have one or two more and then by Inverness (3rd August) we are good to go in terms of signings. Not a fan of still looking at the end of August but if we get off to a good start then we might have to wait for the final additions. We did bring in Safranko later on in the window last year (and signed tonnes of shite right at the start of June, Curran being the very first on the opening day of the window).

Whilst Banks did get rave reviews and looks a great prospect it’s worth noting a lot of his appearances were as a substitute so I wouldn’t be surprised if he goes on loan again, even back to Clyde who are now in League 1 and looks to get 25-30 starts under his belt.  On the other hand if he’s good enough I’ll have no issues with him being around our squad every week.

6 minutes ago, Loemba90 said:

Whilst Banks did get rave reviews and looks a great prospect it’s worth noting a lot of his appearances were as a substitute so I wouldn’t be surprised if he goes on loan again, even back to Clyde who are now in League 1 and looks to get 25-30 starts under his belt.  On the other hand if he’s good enough I’ll have no issues with him being around our squad every week.

Yes Banks struggled physically with the game at spells hence why his legs were more useful off the bench when opposition defences were tiring. 

However, he started the play-off final and really came to the fore. An absolutely outstanding individual performance that day. Annan just never knew how to deal with him. 

Would still say it's a little early for him to be around Dundee United's first team so aye, gives him back for a year 😂

29 minutes ago, C. Muir said:

Yes Banks struggled physically with the game at spells hence why his legs were more useful off the bench when opposition defences were tiring. 

However, he started the play-off final and really came to the fore. An absolutely outstanding individual performance that day. Annan just never knew how to deal with him. 

Would still say it's a little early for him to be around Dundee United's first team so aye, gives him back for a year 😂

Imagine we’ll see how he does in pre season but if he does go on loan I think Clyde would be a good option given he knows the club and the manager and, as I said, would now be playing 1 league up.

13 hours ago, Bishop Briggs said:

The weirdest footballing terms from around the world - https://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/article/68c9c99d-c9d8-4857-96dd-b10336e2118e.

"Dundee United is synonymous with “idiot” in parts of Nigeria where Yoruba is spoken. I wasn’t able to establish with 100% accuracy where this had come from, but it seems to have come from a tour of Nigeria that Dundee United went on in 1972, when they prepared really badly, the weather was really hot, the players got sick, there were injuries and the pitches were no good. Because they complained about it so much, this culminated in the Dundee United name being taken in vain.

I couldn’t believe that when I came across it. It was written on a website and I spoke to people in Nigeria who confirmed it anecdotally."

“Bishop Briggs is synonymous with knob head throughout P&B”.  

Research by well loved P&B poster Granny Danger has discovered that there is almost universal disdain for the self declared ecclesiastical Briggs.  “He’s a knob head” said everyone.

Debbie McGhee is 103 today.

23 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

“Bishop Briggs is synonymous with knob head throughout P&B”.  

Research by well loved P&B poster Granny Danger has discovered that there is almost universal disdain for the self declared ecclesiastical Briggs.  “He’s a knob head” said everyone.

Debbie McGhee is 103 today.

Oh dear. Granny's wet her knickers again.

What a meltdown! 😂

2 hours ago, PartyFears2 said:

What was it Neilson said at the Q&A at the end of last season?

We had agreed deals with 4 players? Something like that..

Neilson had said he wanted 5 players, might be 4 might be 6. Ashgar said they had agreed deals with 4 players. Now that may have been Reynolds, Smith and Sporle an a.n. other.

Might be that that a player has rejected the deal without promotion or might be holding off to see if they can get higher level since we didn't get promoted, might be they are waiting on contract finishing or pre season starting to announce. 

Might get a look at the new kit today? Just with the team returning to training tomorrow we will see the training gear so it might make sense to show us the kit today. I'm assuming it will be within the next few days anyway, we have a friendly next Saturday so will need to let people see it before then!

Might get a look at the new kit today? Just with the team returning to training tomorrow we will see the training gear so it might make sense to show us the kit today. I'm assuming it will be within the next few days anyway, we have a friendly next Saturday so will need to let people see it before then!

Hadn’t appreciated how many premiership and championship teams are using macron, they are decidedly hit and miss from what I’ve seen. For every Hibs and Motherwell home, there’s a St Johnstone or Ross County away.

I just hope they stick tangerine and black for the home and black and white for the away, and don’t dick about with the collars or anything.

Hadn’t appreciated how many premiership and championship teams are using macron, they are decidedly hit and miss from what I’ve seen. For every Hibs and Motherwell home, there’s a St Johnstone or Ross County away.

I just hope they stick tangerine and black for the home and black and white for the away, and don’t dick about with the collars or anything.

Without debating which clubs are bigger than others I think it is the case that our deal is similar to Motherwell’s and Hibs (not sure about County). The deal with St.Johnstone isn’t ‘bespoke’ because they don’t sell as much merchandise as we do therefore they got a teamwear template (hence the old Macron logo).

The club are trying to market 50 years of tangerine so wouldn’t be surprised if it was tangerine shorts as well, given the original strip.

3 minutes ago, stumigoo said:

The deal with St.Johnstone isn’t ‘bespoke’ because they don’t sell as much merchandise as we do therefore they got a teamwear template (hence the old Macron logo).

I dont think that's fair. We had a multi-year deal agreed with another company, who bailed out the UK market halfway through last season, and there seems to have been some complications in getting out that deal and into a new one.

Our template is more a case of just getting a strip released in time rather than any deeper meaning.

Without debating which clubs are bigger than others I think it is the case that our deal is similar to Motherwell’s and Hibs (not sure about County). The deal with St.Johnstone isn’t ‘bespoke’ because they don’t sell as much merchandise as we do therefore they got a teamwear template (hence the old Macron logo).

The club are trying to market 50 years of tangerine so wouldn’t be surprised if it was tangerine shorts as well, given the original strip.

Ah, I hadn’t realised that. Well hopefully it’s in a similar vein to theirs as I like all of theirs this season.
To be fair, the St Johnstone home kit is actually very nice, it’s just the away one that looks grim (although it might have had something to do with Murray Davidson modelling it)