Dundee United 2019/2020

14 minutes ago, Dele said:

You seem very angry tonight, NEF. Your own fans were talking of him over several pages recently on this forum. 

Have some camomile tea and chill out. It's only a game. 

I think one daft c**t mentioned his surname and then Ludo came blundering in talking about his twin brother. You'll no doubt correct me if I'm wrong.

2 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

I think one daft c**t mentioned his surname and then Ludo came blundering in talking about his twin brother. You'll no doubt correct me if I'm wrong.

I think there was plenty of talk about Nicky, then someone said Chris which is when Ludo entered the fray. 

If he was never actually linked, fair enough. 

21 minutes ago, Dele said:

I think there was plenty of talk about Nicky, then someone said Chris which is when Ludo entered the fray. 

If he was never actually linked, fair enough. 

Nope. Go back and read it ( caution: it's very brief and quite shit, sorry).

4 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

Nope. Go back and read it ( caution: it's very brief and quite shit, sorry).

I can't believe I actually went back and read that. :(

Determined there was more chat than that though regarding Cadden. There's no way @Moo would just randomly drop that name in there. 

2 hours ago, Dele said:

You seem very angry tonight, NEF. Your own fans were talking of him over several pages recently on this forum. 

Have some camomile tea and chill out. It's only a game. 

No my friend, just thankful an idiot isn’t involved with my club anymore, same as you’d be. 

As things stand

Benji

Smith Connolly Reynolds Sprole

Butcher Harkes

McMullan C.Smith Pawlett

Sow

Goalkeeper: happy enough to start with Benji as no 1 (really didn't think I would be saying that for the majority of last season) as I feel there was fair improvement as the season went on, possibly down to the fact this is the first club where he has established himself as no 1 and played week in week out. Definitely need to bring in decent back up should his form drop.

Defence: assuming Sprole isn't dogshit then the defence should be good enough. Connolly does have his moments but our goals against record for the final 3rd of the season was pretty good. Plenty of cover so don't expect any further signings here. 

Centre midfield: toss up between Butcher and Bouhenna for the defensive role but definitely need another creative option in there. Harkes started brightly but faded and was a bit anonymous at times as the season went on, hopefully he can offer a bit more on a regular basis and technically he is quite decent. The other option here is Stanton who I don't think Neilson rates, technically good on the ball and can carry it up the pitch but I think needs to be somewhere where he will play every week to see if he can improve and that won't be at United.

Attacking midfield: if McMullan can carry on from his end of season form then happy days, be even better if he learns how to cross a ball. It's a question of fitness for Pawlett, a fully fit injury free Pawlett could be one of the best players in the league however if he can't get over his injury problems then he can be a complete waste of a strip. Cammy Smith must fucking hate United, first time we sign him 2 weeks later we bring in Andreu keeping him out of the team. This time around it looked a good signing but he was never given a run of games in his preferred position with Neilson instead playing Clark out of position at 10. Expect to see at least one addition here.

Strikers: we would be as well binning Sow and Clark as neither of them are suited to playing the lone striker role and sadly I don't see Neilson moving away from his beloved 1 isolated forward formation. I think Clark would score plenty at this level if playing as a poacher in a 2. As for Sow, f**k knows, looked unfit last season and drifted between looking like he might have a bit of ability to has this c**t ever played football before (mostly the latter sadly). Expect a couple of signings here. 

Nice having the derbies again but for f**k sake please lets make this the last season in this league (and I'm not referring to getting relegated before some smart arse responds).

I’d say so, catastrophic failures all over the board, why we’d want to implement anything they suggest is beyond me.

Fyffe and Dorward have both been very good in their roles, Fyffe in particular.

Both put in their own money, pre-Ogren, to keep things going and both were involved in the brokering of the Ogren deal. Fyffe has also been pivotal in the refurbishment of the hospitality suites and the planning for the new sports bar and Dorward is the head of DUCT who help hundreds of young people across the city through community and educational projects.

Ogren himself said that keeping Fyffe and Dorward was important to him.

I dont get the hate towards Sow. He came in, clearly wasn't match fit but offers something different. He was also a bit unlucky not to grab a couple more goals.

I think hes also one of these players, being bigger, that looks slower than he is. I'm happy enough to wipe the slate clean for next season and see what he can offer.

Various comments 're Sow, don't get the hate, boo boys target etc. I never boo a player in tangerine but I don't get the love for him, showed next to nothing last season to suggest he is going to get the goals to take us up and Neilson's insistence on playing him kept better players out of the team or out of position. I really hope with a full pre season under his belt he comes good as he has shown from his time at Hearts that he can score at this level and he seems certain to be Neilson's preferred choice. 

1 hour ago, Aladdin said:

I dont get the hate towards Sow. He came in, clearly wasn't match fit but offers something different. He was also a bit unlucky not to grab a couple more goals.

I think hes also one of these players, being bigger, that looks slower than he is. I'm happy enough to wipe the slate clean for next season and see what he can offer.

I’m happy to wipe the slate clean.  Equally if he’s as poor as he’s been to date it will be legitimate to criticise both him and Neilson.

As has been said I don’t see him being suited to play the lone striker role yet that’s what Neilson wants to play.

44 minutes ago, skinny arab said:

Various comments 're Sow, don't get the hate, boo boys target etc. I never boo a player in tangerine but I don't get the love for him, showed next to nothing last season to suggest he is going to get the goals to take us up and Neilson's insistence on playing him kept better players out of the team or out of position. I really hope with a full pre season under his belt he comes good as he has shown from his time at Hearts that he can score at this level and he seems certain to be Neilson's preferred choice. 

There hasn't been any love for him. There's been a lot of abuse and some people saying that he's shown glimpses of something and should be given a chance. No one has said anything more positive than he might come good.

43 minutes ago, stewartyftd1 said:

Hopefully still a possibility of getting Safranko. Ogren may be willing to part with 2-300k. Depends what clubs are showing genuine interest.

I’m sorry if I’m repeating myself, but whilst I’d love to see Safranko in it would be a waste of his talents (and our budget) if we’re going to persist with one up top.

Far better spending money on a striker suited to that role.

Over the last few seasons we have been guilty of managers bringing in ‘good’ players but not using them in the positions that they best suited for.

Sow came in as a relatively big name signing and hasn't performed. Neilsons insistence on playing him also led to our best striker being stuck on the bench/left wing in our most important games of the season so no real surprise he's come in for a bit of stick. In his defence he doesn't seem at all suited to playing up front on his own and having him receiving the ball with his back to goal at the halfway line clearly wasn't doing him or us any favours. Hope he'll come good next season but I think for that to happen our system has to change.

1 hour ago, stewartyftd1 said:

Hopefully still a possibility of getting Safranko. Ogren may be willing to part with 2-300k. Depends what clubs are showing genuine interest.

Every summer there are thousands of players out of contract. In this day and age, clubs like ours shouldn't be wasting money on transfer fees