Dundee United 2019/2020

1 hour ago, PartyFears2 said:

was the Reynolds - plastic thing not just this season while he fully recovered from the injury he suffered at Aberdeen?

I think a LW is almost essential, we can’t just go with Robson.

Yes. It has been publicly said by United that he can play on plastic. Did he not play at QOS?

Edited by Tannadeechee

9 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

3 at the back isn't an attacking formation. The wing backs are invariably defenders and don't play any further forward than they would in a 4 meaning that the notional 3 is really a back 5. It does let you play 2 strikers without losing a player in the centre of midfield but at the cost of playing with any wide attacking player. It also lets you fanny around more at the back if that's your bag.

3 at the back is for teams looking to not concede, rather than teams looking to score.

Slightly misleading. You can certainly play an attacking formation and have three at the back.

I'd like to see us bringing in a striker, centre midfielder, left winger & centre half. Suppose we'll need some kind of backup/competition for Siegrist as well.

Interested to see if Banks gets a shot in the league cup games given the positive reviews from his loan spell last season. 

4 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Slightly misleading. You can certainly play an attacking formation and have three at the back.

You can. Very, very few teams actually do. You could put wingers in the wing back positions and ask them to play right up the park. Or you can play Kevin McHattie and Shaun Rooney; Paul McGinn and Lee Hodson etc. and pretend that you're not actually playing a back 5. 

3 at the back, as played by virtually all exponents in Scotland (Celtic aside perhaps), is just playing with an extra centre half in place of an attacking player.

2 hours ago, NEFarab said:

Might be in the minority but I really like Harkes and think him and Butcher will be comfortably the best midfield pairing in the league. 

I think Harkes is very hot and cold.  He can be very good and creative one game then totally anonymous in the next.

That said I think they have the potential to be very effective together.

Harkes should be playing further up the park in my opinion. He also needs more confidence when it comes to having a shot at goal, he is too cautious at times. 

Assuming that Neilson is playing a 4231 next season we have probably now got our defence sorted but still need a central midfielder to challenge Harkes and Butcher. We also need more creativity so a winger would be good. Another striker is also an obvious one.

I'm fairly relaxed about the lack of activity at the moment, we have the majority of our squad sorted and just need another three or four good additions.

18 minutes ago, stumigoo said:

Harkes should be playing further up the park in my opinion. He also needs more confidence when it comes to having a shot at goal, he is too cautious at times. 

Assuming that Neilson is playing a 4231 next season we have probably now got our defence sorted but still need a central midfielder to challenge Harkes and Butcher. We also need more creativity so a winger would be good. Another striker is also an obvious one.

I'm fairly relaxed about the lack of activity at the moment, we have the majority of our squad sorted and just need another three or four good additions.

I think finding someone who could challenge for Harkes’ AND Butcher’s position would be a tough ask as their very different types of player.

Bouhenna has proven he can play the Butcher role; I’m assuming he will still be here for the coming season.

As Granny mentioned I think Bouhenna could come in to replace Butcher quite competently if required.

On paper we have at least two central creative midfielders (excluding the young guys) in Cammy Smith and Sam Stanton who are pretty competent, but I get what you mean about something still being required there.

The situation with Smith in particular is frustrating, given how good he was last year for St Mirren and Neilsons reluctance to play him in that role. Makes you wonder why he signed him in the first place.

As Granny mentioned I think Bouhenna could come in to replace Butcher quite competently if required.

On paper we have at least two central creative midfielders (excluding the young guys) in Cammy Smith and Sam Stanton who are pretty competent, but I get what you mean about something still being required there.

The situation with Smith in particular is frustrating, given how good he was last year for St Mirren and Neilsons reluctance to play him in that role. Makes you wonder why he signed him in the first place.

It’s more in the wide area that we need a bit of depth. Beyond McMullan, Pawlett and Robson (if that is now the role Neilson is giving him) we’ve not got much. Neilson has tried to shoehorn both Stanton and Smith I to wide roles but I’d like us to get another natural winger.

For me I actually maybe prefer Bouhenna to Butcher. Based on the playoff displays he is a better footballer but lacks the out and out aggression Butcher provides. Another box-to-box midfielder similar to Harkes is maybe what we need.

Hopefully with Safranko gone it means Clark can be pushed into the striker position (although I don’t think he is very good at the lone role). That would allow, in theory, Cammy Smith a chance to nail down the number 10 spot which is his best position.

43 minutes ago, stumigoo said:

It’s more in the wide area that we need a bit of depth. Beyond McMullan, Pawlett and Robson (if that is now the role Neilson is giving him) we’ve not got much. Neilson has tried to shoehorn both Stanton and Smith I to wide roles but I’d like us to get another natural winger.

For me I actually maybe prefer Bouhenna to Butcher. Based on the playoff displays he is a better footballer but lacks the out and out aggression Butcher provides. Another box-to-box midfielder similar to Harkes is maybe what we need.

Hopefully with Safranko gone it means Clark can be pushed into the striker position (although I don’t think he is very good at the lone role). That would allow, in theory, Cammy Smith a chance to nail down the number 10 spot which is his best position.

Clark would be useless in a 4-2-3-1.  If Neilson persists with that formation (and I’m fairly certain he will) then we will not get the best out of Clark, which is unfortunate.

On the odd occasion last season when he played as a front two with Safranko I thought we saw the best of both players.

There's no way Callum Butcher can ever be part of 'the best midfield in the league', in any league. 

Highly embarrassing for you when we win the league and he is an ever present midfield ‘dynamo’ who dominates the division.

Clark would be useless in a 4-2-3-1.  If Neilson persists with that formation (and I’m fairly certain he will) then we will not get the best out of Clark, which is unfortunate.
On the odd occasion last season when he played as a front two with Safranko I thought we saw the best of both players.

Depends what kind of 4231 we play. In some variations when crosses and balls into the box are a focus then his poaching instinct would be an asset. Unfortunately Neilson’s brand of the formation relies heavily on a striker who is meant to spearhead the attack, run the channels and hold the ball up. None of these things fit Clark.

16 minutes ago, stumigoo said:

Highly embarrassing for you when we win the league and he is an ever present midfield ‘dynamo’ who dominates the division.

He will miss at least a quarter of the season suspended or injured. 

Highly embarrassing for you if you don't win this league, tbh. 

He will miss at least a quarter of the season suspended or injured. 
Highly embarrassing for you if you don't win this league, tbh. 

I wasn’t being entirely serious, I’m sure you knew that though.