Dundee United 2019/2020

I don’t think another centre half will be a priority, though I do feel we need better than Connolly/Frans.  Maybe if we manage to get rid of a couple of defenders.

Believe there will be another signing from Argentina to come.

IMG_8430.thumb.jpg.6c9ef98f918303115185aae92e367b07.jpg

for me, this is where we are just now.

M Smith, Booth, Stanton & Frans in this also.

Yeh that’s about right.

The absolute main priority has to be a reliable out and out goalscorer- our defence at the end of its season had its frailties but the fact that we only conceded 4 goals in our last nine games indicates to me that if we score 15-20 more goals than we did last season we can win the league comfortably, especially with the bolstering of the fullback positions.

One thing I am a bit concerned about is Reynolds inability to play on plastic, that’s 8 at least games next season where he’s out, and I’m not crazy about the options we have ready to slot in. I think next on the list after a striker should be another decent central defender, possibly at the expense of Frans (he has less versatility than Watson- but is probably worth marginally more)

After that, we need another competent Goalkeeper for sure- if not to replace Seigrest, then to push him.

Another winger and central midfielder would be good, but for me, non essential.

I’d rather we went with the highest available quality in the other 3 positions.

Yeh that’s about right.

The absolute main priority has to be a reliable out and out goalscorer- our defence at the end of its season had its frailties but the fact that we only conceded 4 goals in our last nine games indicates to me that if we score 15-20 more goals than we did last season we can win the league comfortably, especially with the bolstering of the fullback positions.

One thing I am a bit concerned about is Reynolds inability to play on plastic, that’s 8 at least games next season where he’s out, and I’m not crazy about the options we have ready to slot in. I think next on the list after a striker should be another decent central defender, possibly at the expense of Frans (he has less versatility than Watson- but is probably worth marginally more)

After that, we need another competent Goalkeeper for sure- if not to replace Seigrest, then to push him.

Another winger and central midfielder would be good, but for me, non essential.
I’d rather we went with the highest available quality in the other 3 positions.

was the Reynolds - plastic thing not just this season while he fully recovered from the injury he suffered at Aberdeen?

I think a LW is almost essential, we can’t just go with Robson.

28 minutes ago, dregs 83 said:

One thing I am a bit concerned about is Reynolds inability to play on plastic,

Given that the last few seasons have seen us with multiple players who have an inability to play on anything, I'd say Reynolds' issue is a vast improvement.

BTW - I’ve completely forgotten Aird in all that.

Hmm
Dont see Aird playing for us again if accounts are to be believed. In any case, he hardly tore it up at QotS so we likely need better.

I dont think we need another centre half in this league. Priority has to be an attacking CM, unless Pawlett can play there, a LW and another striker.

1 hour ago, PartyFears2 said:

it’s the hope

I was very frustrated that we weren’t playing 4-4-2 more regularly last season given the players we had in the squad.  I think we could have picked up more points had we done so.

That said I think it’s more important that we sign players for the formation Neilson wants to play.  If 4-2-3-1 is his preference then for goodness sake bring in a striker or strikers suited to that role.

1 minute ago, PartyFears2 said:

I’ve been saying for along time that against the lesser sides, at home, we should go 3 at the back.

Fucking go for it.
The lads want entertained

3 at the back isn't an attacking formation. The wing backs are invariably defenders and don't play any further forward than they would in a 4 meaning that the notional 3 is really a back 5. It does let you play 2 strikers without losing a player in the centre of midfield but at the cost of playing with any wide attacking player. It also lets you fanny around more at the back if that's your bag.

3 at the back is for teams looking to not concede, rather than teams looking to score.