Dundee United 2019/2020

Obviously it's a long, long, long shot that we'd manage to get Shankland, that hopefully goes without saying. Might be a promising sign if that's at least the level we're targeting (provided we actually manage to get a couple of such deals over the line). That's the sort of quality you really need to guarantee the title otherwise you end up relying on chance to some extent.

1 hour ago, Tannadeechee said:

Sorry but I'd be happier if Aird was released. Couldn't give a shit if he can cross a ball or take a free kick as that is not what being a footballer or a team player is about, thats being a "one trick show pony"

He does absolutely nothing other than freekicks or corners. I have never seen a player run away from where he should be or where the ball may go as much as Aird ( to do it once is criminal, continually well....). And thats before you bring his attitude into it.

McMullan, for all the criticism I've sent his way and it has been a lot, appears to be attempting to fix that. Working hard in the pitch going past players and adding goals towards end of season. Is he perfect? No, his crossing, getting better, needs work but he gives opposition defences something to think about. 

McMullan's attitude I have questioned especially during Laszlo's reign as it was shocking. Irrespective of whether you like your boss or not you at least try. That seems to have improved massively along with his general play and that has caused me, much to my surprise, to be happy with his extension.

Aird? Tell me where to drop him off and I'll drive him free of charge myself, as long as its not Tannadice or St Andrews

To be fair to Aird, he also crosses a mean ball from open play.

He's not going to suddenly improve his attitude however, if that's his problem. Far better chance of McMullan improving his final ball than Aird suddenly discovering the necessary mindset to make the most of his talent. McMullan just needs to keep working hard and he'll continue to improve. That's how life works.

Edited by Pull My Strings

1 hour ago, Tannadeechee said:

Thought he was off to Swansea, alledgedly all agreed prior to end of season

Latest I heard today was that it would be one of three teams 

Portsmouth, Sunderland and Dundee United , heard he would be announced at new club before middle of next week , as last week / this week was away on holiday 

1 hour ago, Robbo63 said:

Latest I heard today was that it would be one of three teams 

Portsmouth, Sunderland and Dundee United , heard he would be announced at new club before middle of next week , as last week / this week was away on holiday 

Ok, of the 3 there I would imagine best chance of 1st team would be us. I would have thought both English teams would be paying more than we will.

Would also be surprised after what happened two years ago when he was at Tannadice to sign before we pulled it last minute for MacDonald.

31 minutes ago, Tannadeechee said:

Ok, of the 3 there I would imagine best chance of 1st team would be us. I would have thought both English teams would be paying more than we will.

Would also be surprised after what happened two years ago when he was at Tannadice to sign before we pulled it last minute for MacDonald.

Is that right? It was a further two months after United signed McDonald before Shankland found a club. It he genuinely had been of interest to United (a team looking to challenge for/win the Championship) would he not have found another club more easily after United dropped their interest?I

I had assumed the truth was that Shankland's stock was pretty low after failing at Aberdeen before McCall decided to take a chance on him. 

27 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

Is that right? It was a further two months after United signed McDonald before Shankland found a club. It he genuinely had been of interest to United (a team looking to challenge for/win the Championship) would he not have found another club more easily after United dropped their interest?I

I had assumed the truth was that Shankland's stock was pretty low after failing at Aberdeen before McCall decided to take a chance on him. 

From what I understand he was at Tannadice with his dad at the time to sign. Willo's nagging at MacDonald had paid off and we got the OK from him. The choice was an internationalist who had played at a high level or the young kid with potential who had had a bad spell. So we pulled out. Probably everyone else would have done the same. If word had got round we had signed Shankland and knocked back MacDonald there would have been a lot of disquiet amongst the support and accusations of penny pinching at TBS.

For Shankland probably was the best thing to happen. Lower level, no pressure (less pressure) and allowed him to build his confidence back up and enjoy playing again.

4 hours ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Can you name a few keepers, playing at this level or higher, that are *not* good shot stoppers?

It's the bare minimum skill a keeper should have.

I can name one. His name begins with J and ends with ack Hamilton. 

People saying a keeper is "a good shot stopper" is one of my pet hates though. 

29 minutes ago, Tannadeechee said:

From what I understand he was at Tannadice with his dad at the time to sign. Willo's nagging at MacDonald had paid off and we got the OK from him. The choice was an internationalist who had played at a high level or the young kid with potential who had had a bad spell. So we pulled out. Probably everyone else would have done the same. If word had got round we had signed Shankland and knocked back MacDonald there would have been a lot of disquiet amongst the support and accusations of penny pinching at TBS.

For Shankland probably was the best thing to happen. Lower level, no pressure (less pressure) and allowed him to build his confidence back up and enjoy playing again.

That just seems like a very unlikely choice. Not that we'd choose McDonald but that it was ever considered an either/or between him and Shankland. Shankland was a relative nobody at that point.

Obviously it's a long, long, long shot that we'd manage to get Shankland, that hopefully goes without saying. Might be a promising sign if that's at least the level we're targeting (provided we actually manage to get a couple of such deals over the line). That's the sort of quality you really need to guarantee the title otherwise you end up relying on chance to some extent.
Shankland will be going to Rangers, Sunderland or Portsmouth.

1 minute ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
3 hours ago, Pull My Strings said:

Shankland will be going to Rangers, Sunderland or Portsmouth.

Yeah, I expect so. As I said earlier, I can't see him coming to United but it's reassuring to an extent that United are at least making an effort to sign guys like Shankland. Shows a degree of ambition, at least. 

Rather that than the usual top half Championship players we've gone for the last couple of years.  Signing a squad of top half Championship players should be enough to finish at least top half of the Championship. Which is fine if that's the extent of your ambitions.

3 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

Yeah, I expect so. As I said earlier, I can't see him coming to United but it's reassuring to an extent that United are at least making an effort to sign guys like Shankland. Shows a degree of ambition, at least. 

Rather that than the usual top half Championship players we've gone for the last couple of years.  Signing a squad of top half Championship players should be enough to finish at least top half of the Championship. Which is fine if that's the extent of your ambitions.

Shankland was a part of a top half of the championship squad last season so not sure what your point is :lol:

24 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

Yeah, should put in a bid for Messi next.

Wait till Conway gets unveiled in Arbroath maroon, apparently house hunting in Monifieth although I don't know how accurate those rumours are.

Nice and close to Arbroath as well as Dundee.

I really don't see him or Shankland at Tannadice this summer.