Dundee United 2019/2020

3 hours ago, NEFarab said:

* starting keeper. Siegrist had 3 good games in the playoffs, doesn’t make up for the fact he was pretty useless in about 20 games before that.

I'd say that was very harsh. Siegrist seems to have been regarded as crap from the loud minority that the rest of our fans seem unwilling to go against.

Yes I can remember mistakes, every player makes them, but the keeper makes one its a goal, never mind the fan favourite that makes 10 a game, or the  fact that 10 players in front of keeper couldn't stop the goal from happening. One of his "mistakes", the goal against QOS(I think) he stops a cross, couldn't catch it, went forward to kill the ball. Unfortunately the ball travelled too far out, you could see his body language change as he knew he was screwed, but more telling for me was the fact our defence made no effort the get to the ball, yet the only one getting blame was Siegrist. Happened a few times.

Siegrist for me appears to be a damn fine shot stopper. He wants to punch the ball, which is not accepted by Scottish fans, but in some cases is the better option than catching with the movement of these current spec balls. Yes he has his mad moments (Hamish, Sieb) but has been improving and shot stopping is fine. Benefitting from less hair em scare em defending in front of him.

Reminds me of Guido Van Der Kamp. He was a reserve keeper having played only about 10 1st team games up to age of 27. Not sure if it was his debut, plays against Celtic, shown live in Holland, misses a cross and Celtic scored. Dutch commentator and pundits slaughtered him. He heard about it from friends/family watched it and his confidence was shot. Hardly played again until Hegarty gave him lots of one to one and he was one of the heros of 94. Thankfully Siegrist seems to have got over the need to impress has relaxed more and his game is benefitting. 

TLDR think some of the criticism he has had is over the top, was superb in all 4 play off games, is a good stopper and rest of his games is improving. Think he'll be fine.

56 minutes ago, PartyFears2 said:

Siegrist might well ‘come good’ but I can’t shake the memory of the points that he single handedly cost us this season.

We need a new GK, even if it’s for competition.

He cost us easily 10 points this season with individual errors that didn’t seem to improve all season. 

If the supposed interest is true I’d take any sort of offer that was tabled. 

Edited by NEFarab

7 hours ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Aird didn't do much while at Queens since January, disappointment to be honest. His mind needs to be right. 

If Aird had the same work ethic as McMullan he’d be a fantastic player.

39 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

If Aird had the same work ethic as McMullan he’d be a fantastic player.

35 minutes ago, Tap in 94 said:

If McMullan had a final ball/great cross on him like Aird does him he'd be a fantastic player

If either of them had both of those things they wouldn’t be playing for us in the second tier tbf.

52 minutes ago, Tap in 94 said:

If McMullan had a final ball/great cross on him like Aird does him he'd be a fantastic player

Aye but the difference is that (at least in theory) it’s easier for Aird to stop being a lazy, disinterested b*****d than it is for McMullan to develop Aird’s footballing skills.

4 hours ago, Big Shedboy said:

We can't go into next season hoping that the keeper might be ok. We need a proven, experienced keeper as No.1  Seigrist can play the Betfred group and challenge games.

I' m bot hoping he'll be OK, I'm looking at him and thinking he'll do fine. Criticism is over the top. As the defence has got more "predictable" and more likely to defend properly, he hasn't seen the need try and guess what the hell those in front will do and as such has been more confident in his position.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

Aye but the difference is that (at least in theory) it’s easier for Aird to stop being a lazy, disinterested b*****d than it is for McMullan to develop Aird’s footballing skills.

Sorry but I'd be happier if Aird was released. Couldn't give a shit if he can cross a ball or take a free kick as that is not what being a footballer or a team player is about, thats being a "one trick show pony"

He does absolutely nothing other than freekicks or corners. I have never seen a player run away from where he should be or where the ball may go as much as Aird ( to do it once is criminal, continually well....). And thats before you bring his attitude into it.

McMullan, for all the criticism I've sent his way and it has been a lot, appears to be attempting to fix that. Working hard in the pitch going past players and adding goals towards end of season. Is he perfect? No, his crossing, getting better, needs work but he gives opposition defences something to think about. 

McMullan's attitude I have questioned especially during Laszlo's reign as it was shocking. Irrespective of whether you like your boss or not you at least try. That seems to have improved massively along with his general play and that has caused me, much to my surprise, to be happy with his extension.

Aird? Tell me where to drop him off and I'll drive him free of charge myself, as long as its not Tannadice or St Andrews

30 minutes ago, Tannadeechee said:

Sorry but I'd be happier if Aird was released. Couldn't give a shit if he can cross a ball or take a free kick as that is not what being a footballer or a team player is about, thats being a "one trick show pony"

He does absolutely nothing other than freekicks or corners. I have never seen a player run away from where he should be or where the ball may go as much as Aird ( to do it once is criminal, continually well....). And thats before you bring his attitude into it.

McMullan, for all the criticism I've sent his way and it has been a lot, appears to be attempting to fix that. Working hard in the pitch going past players and adding goals towards end of season. Is he perfect? No, his crossing, getting better, needs work but he gives opposition defences something to think about. 

McMullan's attitude I have questioned especially during Laszlo's reign as it was shocking. Irrespective of whether you like your boss or not you at least try. That seems to have improved massively along with his general play and that has caused me, much to my surprise, to be happy with his extension.

Aird? Tell me where to drop him off and I'll drive him free of charge myself, as long as its not Tannadice or St Andrews

I’m a bit surprised by that post; it’s like I suggested that I wanted to keep Aird.  I didn’t.  I have no reason to believe his work rate or attitude will improve.

Mind you we shouldn’t forget the amount of assists he put in first half of the season.  If we’re going to have “one trick ponies” they’re the sort of tricks I like.

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

I’m a bit surprised by that post; it’s like I suggested that I wanted to keep Aird.  I didn’t.  I have no reason to believe his work rate or attitude will improve.

Mind you we shouldn’t forget the amount of assists he put in first half of the season.  If we’re going to have “one trick ponies” they’re the sort of tricks I like.

Sorry GD was not directed at you was more replying to the last comment to the subject. Badly worded at the start of my reply. I agree with your sentiments in the original quoted post.

I agree he had assists which were good, but where I'd disagree with you would be how many from open play? We can do without playing with 10 men hoping to get a free kick or a corner and hope the guy running about avoiding the ball puts i a good ball.