Dundee United 2019/2020

20 hours ago, stumigoo said:

I think we might be looking at  - 

GK - Siegrist, Signing - Happy enough with Siegrist given his recent performance. Fair comment, that it may be a blip, but not a priority for me.

RB - Smith, Watson

CB - Reynolds, Signing, Connolly, Bouhenna, Frans - Connolly gives 100% but is a liabilty, and we need one centre half that can pass (semi competently punt) the ball.

LB - Signing, Booth - Not the priority. Might be a weakish spot, but I'd play Robson if we can't find someone who is basically brilliant - spend elsewhere.

CM - Signing, Signing, Butcher, Harkes, Stanton - The key area for strengthening. Harkes is far too lightweight, and Butcher conversley has little other to offer than bite.

Wingers - McMullan, Pawlett, Robson, Smith, Signing

Strikers - Sow, Clarke, Signing - If we can get Safranko back, that's a good enough strikeforce for winning the Championship, assuming Sow comes into some form.

Priority for me

1. CM - A fit Fyvie basically!

2. ST - Replacement for Safranko if not the man himself.

3. CB - Someone solid who can also play a bit.

Bring in 3 nailed on starters with the majority of the budget available, and then worry about the other spots once we can get rid of the hangers on in the squad.

Assuming we are going to continue with a 4-2-3-1 formation then we need to bring in strikers who are suited to that lone striker role.

I cannot see us keeping Safranko and Clark is a decent player but is certainly not a ‘one-up-top’ type of striker.

2 hours ago, Twinkle said:

If Neilson persists with this one up front shite next season, he can f**k off as well

I’m not opposed to 4-2-3-1 per se but there are caveats:

1. You have to bring in the players who can play that system; the right sort of striker(s) being key.  I thought Safranko did brilliantly given that he would have been much better as part of a two but we need to target someone who is genuinely suited to a lone striker role.

2.  You have to be willing to change that system depending upon how the game is going, the formation the opposition is playing, how well/poorly the opposition is playing and, in particular, if you’re chasing a game.  Sticking doggedly to a system when it’s not working effectively and/or it’s not utilising the best qualities of the players available is something that Neilson is guilty of.

Some of the best football I witnessed by a United team in recent times was Armstrong, McKay-Stevens and Gould playing behind Ciftci; absolutely wonderful to watch and highly effective.  I’m not saying we will get players of that calibre again but we must have players suited to a manager’s preferred formation.