2019/20 Challenge Cup

20 hours ago, roman_bairn said:

I don’t know why I bothered taking you off ignore as all you do is bore everyone senseless with your monotonous drivel.
I’m going to file you in the same bin as my post apparently lies....emoji23.png

Nobody cares whether you ignore a poster or not champ, as you're a Z-list, ten a penny moron. 

Gutted for you.

IMG_0697.thumb.jpg.4443bf7ea76a50f26b7805bb5b9c3b13.jpg

Yeah, the Junior teams can fuck off.  They're  members of a completely separate football association and shouldn't be part of the SFA's cup.

If they want to be a part of it then they can join the SFA.  

Good point being made re the Junior clubs joining the SFA.

Maybe the English, Irish and Welsh clubs that are entering our Cup competition could also do that.....

1 hour ago, roman_bairn said:

Good point being made re the Junior clubs joining the SFA.

Maybe the English, Irish and Welsh clubs that are entering our Cup competition could also do that.....

You really aren't getting this, are you. SPFL does not = SFA.

Playing Devils advocate, I'd reckon most clubs in the West Premier could hold their own in the challenge cup, certainly against the League 2 outfits and definitely against the "Colt" teams, however as mentioned previously, most don't have floodlights and they've also got more than enough fixtures of their own.

From my own perspective Ayr have just drawn Wrexham away and there's a few of us going down to make a weekend of it, so I'm quite happy about this and looking forward to the trip, just as a change as much as anything.

Personally I don't like the "colts" idea and in fact find it pretty ridiculous and indeed unfair on the boys from these teams as they generally end up getting a right skelping from seasoned journeymen pros, I also don't believe they bring anything to the game in terms of entertainment for the fans or revenue for the clubs.

Who knows, maybe they should just have stuck to the "one off" that it was meant to be with the Centenary Cup, however it's evolved to what we have today and like it or loathe it, it can still provide decent revenue for the clubs getting to the latter stages and also a bit of novelty value for the fans..............

1 hour ago, WATTOO said:

Playing Devils advocate, I'd reckon most clubs in the West Premier could hold their own in the challenge cup, certainly against the League 2 outfits and definitely against the "Colt" teams, however as mentioned previously, most don't have floodlights and they've also got more than enough fixtures of their own.

From my own perspective Ayr have just drawn Wrexham away and there's a few of us going down to make a weekend of it, so I'm quite happy about this and looking forward to the trip, just as a change as much as anything.

Personally I don't like the "colts" idea and in fact find it pretty ridiculous and indeed unfair on the boys from these teams as they generally end up getting a right skelping from seasoned journeymen pros, I also don't believe they bring anything to the game in terms of entertainment for the fans or revenue for the clubs.

Who knows, maybe they should just have stuck to the "one off" that it was meant to be with the Centenary Cup, however it's evolved to what we have today and like it or loathe it, it can still provide decent revenue for the clubs getting to the latter stages and also a bit of novelty value for the fans..............

"Most" clubs from the West couldn't, not a chance. Sure a few of the big teams would be tough competition and could potentially pull of shocks in one off games. However, they certainly wouldn't be able to compete at this level if they were paying players properly and not passing envelopes of cash around the place.

1 hour ago, WATTOO said:

Playing Devils advocate, I'd reckon most clubs in the West Premier could hold their own in the challenge cup, certainly against the League 2 outfits 

No chance, top 4 at best would be competitive but once you get to sides like Rossvale or Benburb there's a massive gulf

15 minutes ago, Muzza81 said:

"Most" clubs from the West couldn't, not a chance. Sure a few of the big teams would be tough competition and could potentially pull of shocks in one off games. However, they certainly wouldn't be able to compete at this level if they were paying players properly and not passing envelopes of cash around the place.

Especially if they actually had to invest in their facilities to get a licence.

16 minutes ago, Muzza81 said:

As an Ayr fan and from Kilbirnie I'm well aware of the quality of the West Juniors having watched us being given a good game from Beith last season and then subsequently being skelped by Talbot while at the top of the Championship.

Using Ladeside as an example, they currently have former championship and League 1 players the likes of Jamie Longworth, Mark Ferry, Jon Scullion & Michael Moore in their ranks along with a scattering of guys with League 1 and 2 experience, ex Ayr and Kilmarnock youth players and good quality Junior journeymen which frankly is certainly no worse than many of the playing staff at our League 2 clubs. The club is also run properly with the players being paid expenses and small win bonuses such as £30 - £70 per game.

Over the course of a season I'd be very surprised if the majority could compete with the league clubs, however there's no doubt whatsoever that they could certainly compete in one off cup events..............

The ‘Mighty’ Beith as West Junior entrants to the Scottish Cup were absolutely dicked 0-6 on their own midden by Morton in 2016. The standard of ‘the grade’ is absolutely honking and Ayr United’s singular, gubbins failure doesn’t change that fact.

2 hours ago, WATTOO said:

As an Ayr fan and from Kilbirnie I'm well aware of the quality of the West Juniors having watched us being given a good game from Beith last season and then subsequently being skelped by Talbot while at the top of the Championship.

Using Ladeside as an example, they currently have former championship and League 1 players the likes of Jamie Longworth, Mark Ferry, Jon Scullion & Michael Moore in their ranks along with a scattering of guys with League 1 and 2 experience, ex Ayr and Kilmarnock youth players and good quality Junior journeymen which frankly is certainly no worse than many of the playing staff at our League 2 clubs. The club is also run properly with the players being paid expenses and small win bonuses such as £30 - £70 per game.

Over the course of a season I'd be very surprised if the majority could compete with the league clubs, however there's no doubt whatsoever that they could certainly compete in one off cup events..............

There is a reason that the likes of Longworth are playing Junior - he's one of the worst players I've ever seen in the SPFL, Junior clubs sit outside the pyramid as they know that if they were to join the bubble that they see themselves in would soon be p***ked by reality.

23 minutes ago, Jason King said:

There is a reason that the likes of Longworth are playing Junior - he's one of the worst players I've ever seen in the SPFL, Junior clubs sit outside the pyramid as they know that if they were to join the bubble that they see themselves in would soon be p***ked by reality.

Indeed, or maybe it's because that was his first club and he returned as he had always promised.

I really don't get the "hate", I've merely stated my opinion that as an Ayr season ticket holder and someone who occasionally watches his local junior side that they are easily capable of holding their own in one off matches against the part timers of League 1 and 2 in Scotland and the teenagers playing for the SPL clubs.

It wasn't so long ago that the the likes of Chris Erskine, Michael Moffat and Kris Doolan were playing their trade in the Ayrshire juniors and they all seemed to do not too badly for themselves.............

54 minutes ago, virginton said:

The ‘Mighty’ Beith as West Junior entrants to the Scottish Cup were absolutely dicked 0-6 on their own midden by Morton in 2016. The standard of ‘the grade’ is absolutely honking and Ayr United’s singular, gubbins failure doesn’t change that fact.

So, to be clear on this, YOU can use a one off scenario but I can't ??

mmmmm ???

Incidentally, that same "failed" Ayr United from last year absolutely owned the bunch of dumplings from Greenock and of course we've continued in the same vein this season...................

I don’t care if Talbot beat us last season, I wouldn’t have the Junior teams anywhere near this competition. Not unless they’re willing to try their hand in the SPFL pyramid.

Colt teams can also GTF and I’m yet to be convinced on the Welsh, Irish and English teams. Although Wrexham is shaping up to be a cracking weekend.

On 30/08/2019 at 17:45, DAVIDB69 said:

Why aren’t rangers colts playing their game till 18th September

On 30/08/2019 at 19:41, HibeeJibee said:

Perhaps clashes with some other commitment for them or their players?

Couple of years ago their R1 tie was delayed 1 week as their youths were playing in a friendly tournament.

Might be youth internationals on next weekend too?