2019/20 Challenge Cup

23 hours ago, MOFOREVER said:

A decent enough draw for the Mo in a competition which doesn't set the heather on fire.

The very good thing about it is that Partick Thistle are the only ones of the current SPFL clubs the Mo have never played in any sort of Cup competition so 7/Sept will be a mini-momentous occasion. Ok maybe not like landing a man on the moon but a decent wee stat eh?

I've not seen us play the Mo since 1992, the season we got promoted to the Premier Division. 1-0 through a Colin McGlashan goal and some decent goalkeeping from a youthful Craig Nelson.

I think the Mo had Dave Larter in goal, Ivo den Bieman and an ageing Doug Rougvie in their line-up.

Have there been any games between the sides since? 

14 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

I think this competition is fantastic with all the foreign sides in it. It’s just these fucking colts ruining it and I wish like pretty much everyone else that they would get punted. The cup gives the fans a fantastic opportunity to go on some brilliant away days. Richard Gordon and his chums on Sportsound hate it but they are failing to see it from a supporters point of view.

Ayr away to Wrexham is the tie of the round for me. Tremendous away day for the honest men and a great ground to go and tick off.

IMG_6198.jpg

In fairness, most fans think the non-Scottish sides being involved is stupid but that aspect isn't as reviled as the Colt sides.

I know a few Pars fans that went down to Boreham Wood last year and had a great time but the club lost money playing in this competition, so I'd happily see the whole thing binned.

I've not seen us play the Mo since 1992, the season we got promoted to the Premier Division. 1-0 through a Colin McGlashan goal and some decent goalkeeping from a youthful Craig Nelson.
I think the Mo had Dave Larter in goal, Ivo den Bieman and an ageing Doug Rougvie in their line-up.
IVVVVOOOOOOO

26 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:
14 hours ago, jagfox99 said:

IVVVVOOOOOOO

DOUG DOUG DOUG DOUG DOUG DOUG

In fairness, most fans think the non-Scottish sides being involved is stupid but that aspect isn't as reviled as the Colt sides.
I know a few Pars fans that went down to Boreham Wood last year and had a great time but the club lost money playing in this competition, so I'd happily see the whole thing binned.

Most fans = you and some other posters mainly. You actually don't know what most fans think - that's a message on a bus type claim you are making.

9 hours ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

If Dunfermline managed to 'lose money' from a tie in which their travel expenses were subsidised and they got a split of a 1000 gate then that's entirely your club's fault for being incompetent and not the competition's. 

If Dunfermline managed to 'lose money' from a tie in which their travel expenses were subsidised and they got a split of a 1000 gate then that's entirely your club's fault for being incompetent and not the competition's. 
Absolute Shite, you've no idea the amount of subsidy the club received for this, utterly miniscule amount compared to the cost of flights etc.

11 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Absolute Shite, you've no idea the amount of subsidy the club received for this, utterly miniscule amount compared to the cost of flights etc.

Last time I checked Boreham Wood was located in Hertfordshire and not Armenia, so there was absolutely no reason whatsoever for Dunfermline to pay for flights at all. 

Thanks for confirming that Dunfermline's predictably ludicrous spending was in fact the reason for them 'losing money' on the competition though. 

Just now, virginton said:

Last time I checked Boreham Wood was located in Hertfordshire and not Armenia, so there was absolutely no reason whatsoever for Dunfermline to pay for flights at all. 

Thanks for confirming that Dunfermline's predictably ludicrous spending was in fact the reason for them 'losing money' on the competition though. 

Aye okay resident fannyboz. When Morton draw a London based team away in the diddy cup and receive some free biscuits/some Irn Bru as compensation and have to transport not just squad but a number of staff down for a game where we're scheduled to not even come close to breaking even, don't fucking come crying on here spouting your pish. 

4 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Aye okay resident fannyboz. When Morton draw a London based team away in the diddy cup and receive some free biscuits/some Irn Bru as compensation and have to transport not just squad but a number of staff down for a game where we're scheduled to not even come close to breaking even, don't fucking come crying on here spouting your pish. 

^^^ sobbing uncontrollably

There a few rather important facts to clear up within that blubbering meltdown though:

1) Boreham Wood are not a 'London-based' team at all.

2) Teams in the competition receive genuine financial support for cross-border as well as long-distance travel within Scotland, as opposed to the 'free biscuits/Irn Bru' straw man that you've just came out with. 

3) The only reason why Dunfermline came out from that tie with a supposed financial loss is because they made the utterly ridiculous decision to fund return flights rather than hiring a coach as any similar-sized club travelling a similar distance in the English leagues does on a weekly basis. So your club's standard financial incompetence then, not someone else's fault. 

Thanks for playing anyway champ. 

57 minutes ago, virginton said:

Right. Dunfermline have always considered themselves to be royalty and live accordingly. Elgin City, by contrast travelled down on a tatty bus to play TNS, stepped off it more or less ont o the pitch to play the match, then back home again. Maybe a wee bit too frugal, which resulted in them getting a doing, but a coach trip with an overnight stay would be normal.