2019/20 Challenge Cup

A bit of a shanner view - it's presumably all part of the range of development activities - it has also meant their coaches have had to devise strategies and game plans to tackle teams made up of more experienced players.  You are seemingly one of those development deniers.  There are two key aspects here - 1) these games do help young players develop & 2) Colt teams should not be in the SPFL.  Two separate issues

Except they're not 2 separate issues as this tournament is the thin end of the wedge. Get the fans used to the U21 sides and then force it through into the league set up. Anyone thinking otherwise and believing attending these Cup games is harmless needs to think again. The only way to get the message to the SPFL is a full on boycott of games. Given the Falkirk fans can't even manage their own season ticket boycott then their attendance for an U21 match is about right. Anyone worried about their club missing out on income through a boycott, that's the whole point because the clubs are the SPFL and ultimately they're the ones who can do something about this fucking sham. Force them to do something by making sure they know it's a pile of shite.

3 minutes ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

Except they're not 2 separate issues as this tournament is the thin end of the wedge. Get the fans used to the U21 sides and then force it through into the league set up. Anyone thinking otherwise and believing attending these Cup games is harmless needs to think again. The only way to get the message to the SPFL is a full on boycott of games. Given the Falkirk fans can't even manage their own season ticket boycott then their attendance for an U21 match is about right. Anyone worried about their club missing out on income through a boycott, that's the whole point because the clubs are the SPFL and ultimately they're the ones who can do something about this fucking sham. Force them to do something by making sure they know it's a pile of shite.

The Falkirk thread is depressing reading.

"Ah'm jist gaun tae watch mah team!" is the commonest view, with an almost complete lack of understanding of the consequences of offering any encouragement whatsoever to the putrid idea of Colts competing against real teams. Harrowing stuff.

Division 4 and 3 teams ?? FFS [emoji1787]
Nothing wrong with using those names. Much better than the daft actual names of the divisions. They are just another example of Scottish football copying crazy, pointless ideas from English football and somehow manage to make them even worse.

4 hours ago, cowdenbeath said:

He's the sort of guy who you are happy with in your own team but if he played for someone else you would hate him:lol: He does need to calm down on the cards though.

No.  I was never happy with him when he was with us.  Ran about demented.  Could beat several men, round the keeper and be 10cms  from the goal line then kick the ball against the post and miss the rebound.  I was quite happy when his loan period (iirc) with us was over

7 hours ago, craigkillie said:

How are they improving? More teams won because they were playing worse teams in the first round. Only three got through last night, which isn't very different at all to previous years.

That's what I was thinking. There are more victories this season but that's principally due to them forming an extra round which pitted 'B' teams only v non-league teams (plus bottom pair in SPFL2).

This season 3 have reached the Last 32... last season it was 5... the season before 6... and in the first season there was effectively a Scots-only 'Last 24' - before the Last 16 - and 1 reached it. You could say that's worse!

It also seems like proper clubs are fielding ever-weaker XIs. I haven't bothered to look at last night but in R1 half the clubs - even some of the non-leaguers - rested at least 5 or 6 players... in certain cases 8 or 9... and that was not the case in the first couple of seasons. At a practical level most of the players can't be the same as 2 or 3 years ago either so they are not literally "learning".

Edited by HibeeJibee

A decent enough draw for the Mo in a competition which doesn't set the heather on fire.

The very good thing about it is that Partick Thistle are the only ones of the current SPFL clubs the Mo have never played in any sort of Cup competition so 7/Sept will be a mini-momentous occasion. Ok maybe not like landing a man on the moon but a decent wee stat eh?

58 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I don't think this is true. Rhyl is slightly further away than Wrexham.

Depends on how you interpret it. Rhyl is further north, so as the crow flies it is definitely closer to Scotland.

Guest Moomintroll
Depends on how you interpret it. Rhyl is further north, so as the crow flies it is definitely closer to Scotland.
I have lived down here for years, Rhyl is further away than Wrexham in road miles. Work commitments permitting, I will be teaching my old Wrecsam work colleagues some new songs that day.

Killie to Rhyl 287 miles. Ayr to Wrexham 247 miles. I wonder if Ayr will take the 3000 Killie did?

Would be pretty embarrassing for Killie if we even took close to that considering that game was one of the biggest in your clubs history.

It’s the fucking biscuit cup we’re playing in here so it’s hardly a special occasion.

3 hours ago, MOFOREVER said:

The very good thing about it is that Partick Thistle are the only ones of the current SPFL clubs the Mo have never played in any sort of Cup competition

😨Been in the league 90-odd years - on and off - and never drawn against Partick in anything? Ever? You know your stuff, so I'm not doubting you. Even if you're discounting League Cup groups - generally done on a "1st Division groups" and "2nd Division groups" basis in days of yore, so the clubs wouldn't have been able to meet in the group stage most years - that defies probability.  

I'd be more worried about Cove Rangers dispatching the Nomads then anything else if I was you.
Cove Rangers putting out Nomads wouldn't make our result any more embarrassing than it always was. We already know they're League 2 level junk.

I think this competition is fantastic with all the foreign sides in it. It’s just these fucking colts ruining it and I wish like pretty much everyone else that they would get punted. The cup gives the fans a fantastic opportunity to go on some brilliant away days. Richard Gordon and his chums on Sportsound hate it but they are failing to see it from a supporters point of view.

Ayr away to Wrexham is the tie of the round for me. Tremendous away day for the honest men and a great ground to go and tick off.

IMG_6198.jpg