2019/20 Challenge Cup

39 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

You will cause far more damage to your club by endorsing the competition, allowing the organisers to present it as a "success" and using the larger than expected attendance to justify B teams in the league. Which is, and has always been, their goal. 

If you're worried about Queens losing money when they play a B team then you really don't want it happening half a dozen times a season in the league. 

I'm sure cumbernauld colts feel the same about Clyde.

You will cause far more damage to your club by endorsing the competition, allowing the organisers to present it as a "success" and using the larger than expected attendance to justify B teams in the league. Which is, and has always been, their goal. 
If you're worried about Queens losing money when they play a B team then you really don't want it happening half a dozen times a season in the league. 
But the muppets running our game are going to claim it's a success regardless of crowd numbers. If they want to introduce these teams into the league they aren't going to care what the fans think: why change a habit of a lifetime? By not attending I don't think it 'sticks it to the man', it hurts the club.

The clubs need to take action here and the clowns may listen because they sure as hell won't listen to us.

Just to be clear, I don't want them in the cup and think it's a ridiculous inclusion. I just think it's harsh to have a go at people supporting their team.

5 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

I'm sure cumbernauld colts feel the same about Clyde.

Possibly an unfortunate choice of name from Cumbernauld but they are a proper league team in their own right with a place in the Lowland League. Would be quite happy for sides like them to replace the current U21 sides involved from the Premier League.

10 minutes ago, peternapper said:

Possibly an unfortunate choice of name from Cumbernauld but they are a proper league team in their own right with a place in the Lowland League. Would be quite happy for sides like them to replace the current U21 sides involved from the Premier League.

Just a wee joke as Clyde are the gypsies at broadwood.

2 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

I wouldn't go to watch Queens if they were away to a Colts team but I probably would at home. It's very well having a go at people who do but the club will have the same overheads as a normal game. Sadly, by not attending, the biggest harm will be to your own club IMO.

Doubt it will tbf, would be the same as when they host a Reserve game. Floodlights and opening 1 stand.

Cheers.

Livingston still unannounced, AFAICS.

R1 attendances:

509     Kelty v Kilmarnock 'B'

424     Hibs 'B' v Elgin

321     Queen's Park v Celtic 'B'
303     Berwick v Rangers 'B'

245     St Mirren 'B' v East Kilbride
225     Fraserburgh v Ross County 'B'
207     Albion Rovers v Hearts 'B'

175     St Johnstone 'B' v Cove
170     Motherwell 'B' v Spartans
164     Hamilton 'B' v BSCG
150     Brora v Aberdeen 'B'

tbc     Livingston 'B' v Formartine

On 06/08/2019 at 22:06, peternapper said:

Having been involved in the only challenge cup final requiring it to be held at the National Stadium in front of I think 48.000 fans think I can appreciate the good side of the tournament. It has all went downhill since then 

What a load of fucking pish that is BTW. 

The only time I've ever been interested in this cup has been the last couple of years for the potential away trip to England/Wales/Ireland. 

The only reason the attendance of that game was so high was because of the team you were facing, not because it was some fantastic tournament. 

Edited by Grant228

11 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

What a load of fucking pish that is BTW. 

The only time I've ever been interested in this cup has been the last couple of years for the potential away trip to England/Wales/Ireland. 

The only reason the attendance of that game was so high was because of the team you were facing, not because it was some fantastic tournament. 

Yep.

I can safely say I've never given much of a f**k and, like you, only get excited by the idea of a cracking away day one day in the future.

Getting to the latter stages could be fun of course, but not getting there doesn't mean anything to me. 

Just now, Warren Mears said:

Yep.

I can safely say I've never given much of a f**k and, like you, only get excited by the idea of a cracking away day one day in the future.

Getting to the latter stages could be fun of course, but not getting there doesn't mean anything to me. 

I think we've only reached the latter stages once, we bear Ayr in the semis at EEP infront of a brutal home crowd, I gave the goal a solid round of applause and then didn't bother with the final. I doubt I would if we got there again unless it was incredibly convenient and the prices were dirt cheap. 

That’s this season. When Europa 2 starts the Europa League will only have entrants from nations in the top 15 of the co-efficient table regardless how well an individual team performs. At the moment Scotland is well short of the mark.

Wrong forum for this, but...

Position likely to improve because of the good performance last year, and good performances from other nations in earlier years dropping out of the calculations. On a single year basis in 2018/19 we ranked tenth, and so our provisional ranking for 2021 is 15, albeit vulnerable to being overtaken by Czechia (4 teams still in this year's cups), Greece (5), Serbia (2) and Croatia (2). So potential to be in the top 15 for 2023/24.

3 more wins and one draw in this year’s competitions will ensure that ranking points increase absolutely next year. There is a minimum of 7 more games in which to achieve that.