2019/20 Challenge Cup

2 minutes ago, craigkillie said:
31 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:
Dates are all exactly the same as last season except this 'extra' round has appeared the week before what used to be R1. Something's afoot.

There was an extra round last season too.

True but it was a hastily-arranged Prelim (and branded as such) as they only needed 6 HL / LL clubs but had already invited 8. It didn't even have fixed dates - 1 tie was on a Sunday in July.

Edited by HibeeJibee

HL had them in their listings, and I noticed some clubs had them in their websites. You can see the blank weeks anyway: i.e. Sep 7th, Oct 12th.

Not seen anything about entrants or format.

It's noted in this thread that Championship clubs want to enter a round later... i.e. the September round (which was R2 but now seems to be R3)... and if you do the maths that would mean pushing 20 clubs out of what used to be R1 (now R2) into a new R1. However that hasn't been confirmed. Also nothing in the press over 2 x Conference sides still entering nor whether only 6 HL/LL get invites or 8 as before - when they admitted the Conference sides last year they had to eliminate 1 of each by making their 3rd & 4th finishers play off at the start of the season.

Well, if the Championship sides are entering at R3 with the 'foreign' teams - realistically R3 has to have 32 sides (16 would mean no qualifiers, 64 would mean 48 qualifiers which seems too large to justify 2 previous rounds)

6 foreign + 10 championship = 16 qualifiers (so 32 teams in R2)

8 foreign + 10 championship = 14 qualifiers (28 teams in R2)

You'd assume 20 of those would be League 1/2 clubs, and they probably won't start in R1 - so that makes either 8 or 12 qualifiers - so 16 or 24 teams in R1. 12 of those will be colts, you'd think, taking it to 4 (top 2) or 12 (top 6) teams from the HL/LL.

Adding another 'foreign' country would mean 24 teams in R2, 48 in R1, which might be plausible - 20 L1/2 sides + 12 colts + 6 HL + 6LL.

2 hours ago, football maniac said:

So we could end up with Wrexham representing England while being based in Wales and TNS representing Wales while being based in England. 😂

It wouldn't be too bad if the colt teams would just get dumped, then the first round can be scrapped with all teams starting in the second round (which will obviously then become the first round).

2 hours ago, Marten said:

So we could end up with Wrexham representing England while being based in Wales and TNS representing Wales while being based in England. 😂

A Wrexham v TNS game would be tasty on and off the pitch I reckon as I believe the 2 clubs can't stand each other😃

10 hours ago, gogsy said:

Looks like the organisers are doing their best to get the colts teams to win a few games. :lol:

We can only hope they all get scudded and are finally removed from next year’s competition 

If this format is indeed correct then surely it would make sense for the midweek round of league fixtures arranged for early March to take place on the free Saturday in August?

Only sticking point might be playing the same teams within a couple of weeks of each other i.e we'd then have two trips to Arbroath within the space of two weeks which wouldn't be ideal but at least it should be 20 degrees warmer than it would be in early March... 😃

First Round

North

• Pot A: Cove Rangers, Brora Rangers, Fraserburgh, Formartine Utd, Elgin City, Albion Rovers. 
  • Pot B: Aberdeen C, Hibernian C, Hearts C, St Johnstone C, Livingston C, Ross County C. 

South

• Pot A: East Kilbride, BSC Glasgow, Kelty Hearts, Spartans, Queen's Park, Berwick Rangers. 
  • Pot B: Celtic C, Rangers C, Kilmarnock C, Motherwell C, Hamilton C, St Mirren C.