West Region Championship 2019/2020

Rochstar1920

2 hours ago, Tutankhamen said:

Cumbernauld and Darvel still out there as we head for Christmas/New Year. One Championship but two leagues as has been clear for the last three months. Top 8 with the top 2 looking like stick ons but a third promotion place wide open for 5 or 6 others. Of course going up is one thing, staying up is another. Can imagine a few wiser committee heads will be happy to get a top 6 space without the worry of being cannon fodder for Talbot and friends.

Bottom of the league the same in reverse, couple of teams starting to pack the suitcase for the departure hall with 4 of 5 teams watching the exit door in case it swings shut with them on the wrong side of it. 

Think its still far to early to say the top 2 are stick ons. Blantyre look very good with Renfrew and Neilston  still very much in the mix and Kilsyth are more than capable of beating anyone on their day.

8 hours ago, Rox said:

Think its still far to early to say the top 2 are stick ons. Blantyre look very good with Renfrew and Neilston  still very much in the mix and Kilsyth are more than capable of beating anyone on their day.

Certainly others might doubt Darvel and Cumbernauld but with points on the doors i see them staying the course. The real battle is for third place. A number of teams in the bottom half worrying about getting caught by relegation will cause chaos for the promotion hopefuls by grabbing points off them here and there.

2 hours ago, combineharvester said:

If the games go ahead b4 new year wee hv a all nightY tough few fixtures and if wee play even close to like we did yday  we will be a decent force and may turn some heads 

away to renfrew

home to blantyre

away to shorts 

very tough 

U have done brilliant 

3 hours ago, combineharvester said:

If the games go ahead b4 new year wee hv a all nightY tough few fixtures and if wee play even close to like we did yday  we will be a decent force and may turn some heads 

away to renfrew

home to blantyre

away to shorts 

very tough 

Shorts will be a push-over. That and the “all nighty” makes for an interesting tie!

Edited by valleyboy

23 hours ago, Tutankhamen said:

Cumbernauld and Darvel still out there as we head for Christmas/New Year. One Championship but two leagues as has been clear for the last three months. Top 8 with the top 2 looking like stick ons but a third promotion place wide open for 5 or 6 others. Of course going up is one thing, staying up is another. Can imagine a few wiser committee heads will be happy to get a top 6 space without the worry of being cannon fodder for Talbot and friends.

Bottom of the league the same in reverse, couple of teams starting to pack the suitcase for the departure hall with 4 of 5 teams watching the exit door in case it swings shut with them on the wrong side of it. 

Wise words, speaking from experience last year was a hard lesson, getting there one thing, staying there another altogether.

I suspect we had the lowest budget in the Premier and nearly achieved the "holy grail" of 4th bottom, can't see us being any "richer" if we do finish top 3 and so likely to come straight back down again, but you want to win every game and try to get promotion, it's a quandry for sure!

There are a few at NWP saying 4th place this season might not be the worst finish, at our best (ok and luck!) we beat Darvel but then lose at Dalry next game, so it'll be a rollercoaster of a run in, gotta love the juniors!

19 minutes ago, Frew Fan 2001 said:

Wise words, speaking from experience last year was a hard lesson, getting there one thing, staying there another altogether.

Tell me about it.

Glencairn promoted as champions last season, with 73 points and scoring 108 goals. We stuck with the same squad as last season, losing only one player and adding two, and optimism was high as we started the season with two wins, but it just hasn't happened for us since.

I'd bite your hand off for 4th bottom at the moment. And when you look at who is currently in 4th and 5th bottom places, i.e. the other two promoted teams last season Benburb and Rossvale, it shows just how tough a league this is to survive in.

Darvel should take note of that with all of their supporters' big talk.

1 hour ago, glensmad said:

Tell me about it.

Glencairn promoted as champions last season, with 73 points and scoring 108 goals. We stuck with the same squad as last season, losing only one player and adding two, and optimism was high as we started the season with two wins, but it just hasn't happened for us since.

I'd bite your hand off for 4th bottom at the moment. And when you look at who is currently in 4th and 5th bottom places, i.e. the other two promoted teams last season Benburb and Rossvale, it shows just how tough a league this is to survive in.

Same with Petershill the season before who'd won the league by the end of February.

You've got Talbot who are probably in reality Senior League level and another group of 7 or 8 clubs who will never be relegated again as the present West Junior leagues stand.

8 hours ago, glensmad said:

Tell me about it.

2 different clubs , if we go up we will challenge for the title and talk of finishing 4th bottom wont be in the vocabulary doon the brae

2 different clubs , if we go up we will challenge for the title and talk of finishing 4th bottom wont be in the vocabulary doon the brae
i see the crack pipe is being passed about down that way again , u realy are a wind up merchant [emoji85][emoji1787]
either that or u realy are nuts [emoji2957]

With the greatest of respect, we played all the big guns of the premiership last season, we've played you twice this season and if you seriously want to challenge for the big title your "backers" need to get the cheque books out sharpish, you're not even close with your current squad.

Now given the investment that clearly has been made already, that will no doubt happen, but is throwing a truckload of cash at it sustainable?

13 hours ago, Darvel legend said:

41 minutes ago, Frew Fan 2001 said:

With the greatest of respect, we played all the big guns of the premiership last season, we've played you twice this season and if you seriously want to challenge for the big title your "backers" need to get the cheque books out sharpish, you're not even close with your current squad.

Now given the investment that clearly has been made already, that will no doubt happen, but is throwing a truckload of cash at it sustainable?

Mate don’t go by the score lines we hammered u twice and everyone knows that 

u got lucky at Renfrew it could have been 8 or 9 

47 minutes ago, Darvel legend said:

Mate don’t go by the score lines we hammered u twice and everyone knows that 

u got lucky at Renfrew it could have been 8 or 9 

First I've already said we were lucky at Renfrew, however to say you hammered us twice is stretching it a wee bit, at Darvel the breaks went your way, at Renfrew yes we rode our luck in the second half, but for all your possession up to us making it 2-0 how many clear chances did you create whereas we were clinical with those we had.

However, read again what I said, this isn't about Renfrew, this is a comparison of the Darvel we've seen this year v the Talbot's, Hurlford's, etc we played last year, I stand by what I said, you're going to have be a lot better, stronger, etc if you genuinely want to challenge in your first season.

You are the best team we've seen this season, although we've still to play Blantyre, Kilsyth and Shotts but tough as they'll no doubt be, Darvel are going up no ifs buts or maybes, when you do if it's with your current squad you probably won't struggle at the bottom but don't see you top end either.

47 minutes ago, Frew Fan 2001 said:

First I've already said we were lucky at Renfrew, however to say you hammered us twice is stretching it a wee bit, at Darvel the breaks went your way, at Renfrew yes we rode our luck in the second half, but for all your possession up to us making it 2-0 how many clear chances did you create whereas we were clinical with those we had.

However, read again what I said, this isn't about Renfrew, this is a comparison of the Darvel we've seen this year v the Talbot's, Hurlford's, etc we played last year, I stand by what I said, you're going to have be a lot better, stronger, etc if you genuinely want to challenge in your first season.

You are the best team we've seen this season, although we've still to play Blantyre, Kilsyth and Shotts but tough as they'll no doubt be, Darvel are going up no ifs buts or maybes, when you do if it's with your current squad you probably won't struggle at the bottom but don't see you top end either.

U seem a sensible guy , we were 9 short at Renfrew that’s no an excuse it’s fact and the quality within that 9 is top drawer ,we are far from up yet but if we do go up im Sure the gaffer knows what’s required player Wise to challenge the top teams as one thing I can tell u he isn’t going up to finish 2nd to anyone 

Another weekend of big fixtures with Renfrew hosting  neilston which may be pick of the  bunch with both teams hoping to keep up pace for race for too 3

both teams drew 1-1 at a horrible wed night up the brig and looks like going to be another wet one on sat at NWP

confidence high with us at moment so no reason not to be confident of another positive outcome 🚜