How many political parties have you voted for.

11 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

It is, but I’m far more sceptical of people who vote for one party all their lives. Especially a party like the SNP, which at one point was right of centre, then moved to the left, and now sits centre left.

People make political journeys, but it’s pretty difficult to explain only voting SNP over a thirty year time frame on any kind of ideological level.

Your definition of ideological would appear to be on the Left/Right spectrum.( The interest of "Labour" as compared to the interest of "Capital) . That is one level of ideological struggle  but if you believed that Scotland should leave the U.K and restore its sovereignty as a State , that is also surely an ideological decision and that determines who you vote for in  most elections?  The SNP has changed policy positions over the years ( N.A.T.O) following conference decisions based on what was deemed to be in the interest of the Scottish people.  I supported the initial Common market membership in 1975, and did find it difficult to vote SNP in that period . The Scotland in the EU change made it easier to move over from Labour for other reasons

Edited by Chapelhall chap

1 hour ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Thought about starting another thread for this, but there probably wouldn't be enough replies to make it worthwhile; have any P&Bers run, or seriously considered running, for political office? I know we've had Ad Lib, and I'm sure Granny Danger mentioned being a Labour councillor.

Guy I went to college with almost raised the £500 to stand as a candidate for the 'Paint Your Penis Green' Party. He just wanted to hear the Returning Officer read the name out on election night. Bless.

Doubt the Electoral Commission would have allowed it. The rules forbid party names if they are "obscene or offensive or contain certain prohibited words". He was probably going to run off with the cash.

13 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Doubt the Electoral Commission would have allowed it. The rules forbid party names if they are "obscene or offensive or contain certain prohibited words". He was probably going to run off with the cash.

I really doubt he'd looked far enough ahead to check the rules.

Wonder if 'tadger' is on the list of prohibited words...

15 hours ago, pandarilla said:
15 hours ago, sophia said:
Isn't helping constituents up there in the top one of a MSP of MP's priorities?
Sound or not, turns out Charlie was a fraud. Shame really.
Given what the Tories and Labour represented in the days when weeks were three, they would never get my vote.
Neither could I bring myself to support the charlatans of the liberal party.  Their all things to all locals schtick never fooled me.
It's always been obvious to me that my sympathies would have to be elsewhere and where better than a party that has been unstinting in their positivity. It's only beyond independence day that I might have cause to consider a transferrable vote.

Why was he a fraud?

Can't help on the fraud thing but his expenses whilst President of Glasgow University Union were (I'm told) awe-inspiring.

Thought about starting another thread for this, but there probably wouldn't be enough replies to make it worthwhile; have any P&Bers run, or seriously considered running, for political office? I know we've had Ad Lib, and I'm sure Granny Danger mentioned being a Labour councillor.
Guy I went to college with almost raised the £500 to stand as a candidate for the 'Paint Your Penis Green' Party. He just wanted to hear the Returning Officer read the name out on election night. Bless.

Did Reynard not run as a Tory at some point?

Some of the comments on here reflect the age of posters and their failure to realise that the political landscape changes.

At one point the SNP where pretty right wing and led by a religious fruit loop.  Most posters on here would have found it impossible to support the SNP in those days.

Its testament to those who tried to radicalise the organisation and who were expelled for their efforts including Alex Salmond.  There efforts eventually paid off leading to the SNP that we now know.

Whatever people’s perception of Labour now and then, their were many local Labour constituencies far with more radical agendas than the SNP, including support for a Scottish Parliament,  though the failure to win control of the party apparatus and the desperation to end  18 years of Tory rule led to Blairism and everything that followed.

Edited by Granny Danger

Labour then SNP.

It’s funny how times change though I was happy to get rid of the Tory’s then couldn’t  stand Labour within a decade. Still not convinced totally by the SNP but at least they try to do what’s right for Scotland. I think Labour were finished when John Smith died. Robin Cook was the last MP I had respect for.

They sold out for a quick gain and killed their own party.

Edited by D.A.F.C

6 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Did Reynard not run as a Tory at some point?

Presumably not recently. You'd like to think they'd turn down somebody irrationally screaming about evil muslims AND threatening to take to the streets with their shotgun in the event of Scottish independence.

One or the other, fine, but not both.

21 minutes ago, Thomas Finney said:

Labour (1997 only)

BNP (every other time)

In USA, only Republican

"Nigel" was a bit obvious bud. But i'm sure you'll do a far better job concealing yourself on here this time.

b9rreGI.png

I seem to remember voting SSP at one point but looking it up, I think I'm making that up. My maw stood for them in 2003 but they probably had had to disband the regiment by the time I was old enough. Most likely it was Solidarity, the Tommy Sheridan splitters.

I think I voted SNP in 2007, I remember my brother and I being quite excited about Salmond taking over. By  the 2011 Scottish election I was SNP for both list and constituency for sure but I voted labour in the by-election, falling for the 'Vote labour to make sure the Tories don't get in' fallacy for the last time. 

I've been SNP ever since, apart from a vote for the greens on the list the last time out (I think - really wish I had a better memory)

I'll say 4, final answer